Improve line up

GasThomas

This year we added four new players to the line up and this is the first time in many years that I feel that we really improve our line with the new additions.

Blueger

Sutter

Cole 

Soucy

when was the last time that we improved our line up in the same way we did this year?

1 hour ago, GasThomas said:

This year we added four new players to the line up and this is the first time in many years that I feel that we really improve our line with the new additions.

Blueger

Sutter

Cole 

Soucy

when was the last time that we improved our line up in the same way we did this year?

a couple borderline 3C and a couple 5/6D one of which is a scummy human being is nothing to get over excited about. feels like every other offseason for the last decade where we all got excited about the new arrangement of deck chairs. 

19 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

a couple borderline 3C and a couple 5/6D one of which is a scummy human being is nothing to get over excited about. feels like every other offseason for the last decade where we all got excited about the new arrangement of deck chairs. 

At least this year we could say we finally have the deck chairs to arrange?  We're only a few seasons removed from the likes of Jason Dickinson, Adam Gaudette, Jay Beagle (shudders) and Adam Graovac in our bottom-6 C's, and guys like Olli Juolevi (shudders again), Jordie Benn and OEL (shudders yet again) were supposed answers to the top-4 LD problem.  I'd say be grateful that we have some low-risk, likely medium-reward additions who are looking viable so far, at least until proven otherwise. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, GasThomas said:

Blueger

Sutter

Cole 

Soucy

I would had Hronek and Mik as they both were new adds last year but played only a handful of games due to injuries.

17 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

Mike Gillis in one off season got Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Malhotra and Torres.

I think so anyway, it's been a while, that might be spread out over 2 years 

My answer as well.  Nod to Quinn obviously for his Courntal, Momesso, Running, etc. moves.  

I thought Benning's Bonino, Vrbata, and Ryan Miller moves in 2014 were also pretty good (at least in terms of getting us to the playoffs for 2015)

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

At least this year we could say we finally have the deck chairs to arrange?  We're only a few seasons removed from the likes of Jason Dickinson, Adam Gaudette, Jay Beagle (shudders) and Adam Graovac in our bottom-6 C's, and guys like Olli Juolevi (shudders again), Jordie Benn and OEL (shudders yet again) were supposed answers to the top-4 LD problem.  I'd say be grateful that we have some low-risk, likely medium-reward additions who are looking viable so far, at least until proven otherwise. 

At the risk of being a pedant the deck chairs are useless things to waste time and money on, so all those players probably count. If we're lucky we've upgraded to a large wooden door, but we're yet to find the lifeboat we need. This year's signings are fine, but they're not going to dramatically change our direction either way. Probably need Hughes, Petey, and Hronek to excede expectations if we're going to get the ship back on course.

I may have overloaded an already flimsy metaphor when I should be doing something more productive with my time.

true love cry GIF

Edited by Biff Tannen
'
  • Confused 1

Teams defense looks to be lll

4 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

My answer as well.  Nod to Quinn obviously for his Courntal, Momesso, Running, etc. moves.  

I thought Benning's Bonino, Vrbata, and Ryan Miller moves in 2014 were also pretty good (at least in terms of getting us to the playoffs for 2015)

Without Miller that team would have been toast, even with Vrbata and Bonino, was a decent Luongo replacement.    Yes it was the right moves to get one last hurrah,  tactically it was of course the wrong move.   But that's hindsight.   2011 was still fresh enough.  

Hronek is the big wild card.   One year of his services,  well the team needs him to work out.   And Willander as well.    QHs, Hronek, Willander and Soucy appear to be the future the brass is hoping to compete with during this current cores peak window, which is coming fast.    A lot still needs to work out.    Cole is a bandaid, but a solid Schenn replacement.    The defense is in transition, and really has been since Bieksa and Hamhuis aged out and left town.   Edler and Tanev did it on their own for the most part until Myers was signed.    Even if Hronek works out, and we sign him to a term deal,  we've only got 3nhl regulars signed for the following year.    Big fan of Soucy.   He should solidify the bottom pairing and maybe working with Foote and Gonchar, elevates his game.   This team can afford one free agent, not sure if they go there, and in a way that's Hronek.   Won't be shocked to see a Kuzmenko trade to help continue the D transition.

Modestly improved.   Schenn and OEL out, Hronek, Soucy and Cole in.    The bottom six signings will help too.   Our PK should be respectable now.   And QHs hopefully, won't be playing as much so he can focus on PP and EV strength.    Don't see this as moving the "deck chairs" around as much as working responsibly with the cap.    OEL buyout sucked but i'd rather do that than mortgaging the future to trade a serviceable player like Brock or Garland, and an high pick and or prospect,  and then go out and sign a UFA.    Hronek in a way, working out, will end up as our marquee free agent signed.  

• Cheers 1

If the question is how often do we fill our bottom six and D with UFAs the answer is pretty much every year over the last decade. 
How often has worked?  Well it pretty much hasn’t worked every year over the last decade. 
This batch looks better than the last batch as our pro scouting looks much better under Allvin but we won’t know for a while. 
The general philosophy though is nuts and rarely works but when you act like a championship calibre team every year no matter where you are in the cycle, then you need to fill spots somehow. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

If the question is how often do we fill our bottom six and D with UFAs the answer is pretty much every year over the last decade. 
How often has worked?  Well it pretty much hasn’t worked every year over the last decade. 
This batch looks better than the last batch as our pro scouting looks much better under Allvin but we won’t know for a while. 
The general philosophy though is nuts and rarely works but when you act like a championship calibre team every year no matter where you are in the cycle, then you need to fill spots somehow. 

It’s very difficult to build enough quality depth in the supporting role players when there are bad contracts in the whole group. We got rid of OEL. Good move. Garland and Myers need to go too, especially Garland. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s very difficult to build enough quality depth in the supporting role players when there are bad contracts in the whole group. We got rid of OEL. Good move. Garland and Myers need to go too, especially Garland. 

Would add Beau to that list if he doesn’t start showing more. 
RD is still a mess. We actually need Myer as a depth D at this point. 
We need a top 6 PF or two badly. Trading Pearson, Mik not quite ready and Podz flopping to start the year really put us behind the 8 ball for decent sized wingers required in Tocchet’s system. 
Bad contracts and buyouts are definitely clogging up the flexibility but that is slowly improving. 

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Would add Beau to that list if he doesn’t start showing more. 
RD is still a mess. We actually need Myer as a depth D at this point. 
We need a top 6 PF or two badly. Trading Pearson, Mik not quite ready and Podz flopping to start the year really put us behind the 8 ball for decent sized wingers required in Tocchet’s system. 
Bad contracts and buyouts are definitely clogging up the flexibility but that is slowly improving. 

This regime has made excellent moves so far but the best was punting OEL

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

At the risk of being a pedant the deck chairs are useless things to waste time and money on, so all those players probably count. If we're lucky we've upgraded to a large wooden door, but we're yet to find the lifeboat we need. This year's signings are fine, but they're not going to dramatically change our direction either way. Probably need Hughes, Petey, and Hronek to excede expectations if we're going to get the ship back on course.

I may have overloaded an already flimsy metaphor when I should be doing something more productive with my time.

true love cry GIF

I disagree lol, as "deck chair" as these guys are, they're hardly useless.  We've already got a couple lifeboats and even the Titanic didn't have an unlimited budget to construct their ship, let alone an NHL team with such a defined cap ceiling.  I would agree that the key components of the ship (engine, rudders, steering wheel, navigation, etc. IDK anymore ship terms but you get the point) are critical for steering the ship to the right course and destination, but in my eyes these guys are more the life jackets, windows and other secondary items and parts of the ship -- definitely not the key parts but they're still needed to perform certain roles (insulation for windows, life jackets to help other guys stay afloat defensively, etc.).  If the ship is going down then yeah feel free to clear the deck, but not just as the ship is getting ready to set sail.

Edited by Phil_314

5 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I disagree lol, as "deck chair" as these guys are, they're hardly useless.  We've already got a couple lifeboats and even the Titanic didn't have an unlimited budget to construct their ship, let alone an NHL team with such a defined cap ceiling.  I would agree that the key components of the ship (engine, rudders, steering wheel, navigation, etc. IDK anymore ship terms but you get the point) are critical for steering the ship to the right course and destination, but in my eyes these guys are more the life jackets, windows and other secondary items and parts of the ship -- definitely not the key parts but they're still needed to perform certain roles (insulation for windows, life jackets to help other guys stay afloat defensively, etc.).  If the ship is going down then yeah feel free to clear the deck, but not just as the ship is getting ready to set sail.

I was referring to the players you listed as the useless deckchairs. The new guys are useful additions to the engine room but I'm not sure they'll keep us afloat if we enter choppy waters. Imo we still need an able bodied defensive D to play on captain's starboard side and could do with dropping an anchor or two. We set sail on Wednesday so guess we'll just have to hope we're shipshape and the season will be plain sailing.

I'm just looking forward to some rivetting hockey to buoy my spirits. The off season has felt so long...

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was referring to the players you listed as the useless deckchairs. The new guys are useful additions to the engine room but I'm not sure they'll keep us afloat if we enter choppy waters. Imo we still need an able bodied defensive D to play on captain's starboard side and could do with dropping an anchor or two. We set sail on Wednesday so guess we'll just have to hope we're shipshape and the season will be plain sailing.

I'm just looking forward to some rivetting hockey to buoy my spirits. The off season has felt so long...

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

I'm only laughing because I do love that meme.   Feels like it for sure.

Also agree nothing they did this off-season, other than NOT DOING something (that simply means, a big contract given) .   Mattered.   The Hronek and Soucy deals mean more than the rest.   And this ship once it's seaworthy isn't like the Titanic.   More like a Polish submarine, with a great Captain and next up officer.   If anyone gets that joke, then let me know.  

Maybe it's a U-Boat instead.   Just going to enjoy the process. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm only laughing because I do love that meme.   Feels like it for sure.

Also agree nothing they did this off-season, other than NOT DOING something (that simply means, a big contract given) .   Mattered.   The Hronek and Soucy deals mean more than the rest.   And this ship once it's seaworthy isn't like the Titanic.   More like a Polish submarine, with a great Captain and next up officer.   If anyone gets that joke, then let me know.  

Maybe it's a U-Boat instead.   Just going to enjoy the process. 

The Vancouver Admiral Graf Spee.

• Like 1

Soucy, Cole, Suter, Blueger, and now Lafferty all bring something to the table as our PK has been terrible the last couple years. That's not shuffling the deck chairs that identifying a problem and working to correct it. Our Top 6 for the most part should not be our penalty killers IMHO.

If Miller and Petterson are playing 30 mins a night killing penalties they are going to be less effective on offense. Not saying they cant kill the odd one but it should not be their main focus. Also the opportunity to get injured blocking shots etc goes way up on the PK

Given the fact we had the last ranked PK in the league ;last season we have no where to go but up. If we truly want to be a playoff team we need to have players that play like a playoff team.

In 2011 we had Higgins, Lapierre, Malhotra, Glass, Hansen, even Kesler and Burrows on the PK but we rarely sent out Henrik and Daniel to kill them off. We didnt have to.

I like the moves so far and having even a bit better D core in front of a healthy Demko should move the needle. Im not saying we will be top 5 but i think if we get to middle of the pack we move up the standings as the PK cost us a few points last year.

The bigger concern will be how much scoring up front does the defensive structure cost us? Can the power play stay in the to half of the league as well? If they can we make the playoffs easily. It will all come down to injuries as the depth is not strong. But if we are not playing our 6-7 D as top 4 every game we have a better chance.  I look forward to what Mikhevev brings healthy. We have some horses now we just have to see what they all bring.