2024 Entry Draft

8 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

19 year old averaging almost 2ppg and putting up 40 yeah def no nhl career for him 🤣

There’s a reason he was rated as a top 15 pick heading into 2023 before he fell to the mid 2nd round. His game is insanely flawed. 

Very much a high risk player.

• ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

19 year old averaging almost 2ppg and putting up 40 yeah def no nhl career for him 🤣

Because there's never been a high scoring junior player not make the NHL.. good convo

Below average size...check

Poor skater...check

Poor defensive play...check

Definitely sounds like someone who will succeed at the NHL level. I'm not saying he absolutely won't, just that the current iteration of him needs a lot of work, in comparison to someone like Tij

Edited by Whorvat

57 minutes ago, Odd. said:

There’s a reason he was rated as a top 15 pick heading into 2023 before he fell to the mid 2nd round. His game is insanely flawed. 

Very much a high risk player.

If you don’t have holes in your game as a teenager you’re a top 5 pick, Ridley greig was having the same stuff said about him 

Seems like he’s moving up the draft board now, but I rly liked what I saw out of Stian Solberg at the WC tourney. Rly physical but I thought he was great positionally as well. Reminded me of something between Juulsen and Trouba, but he made a couple nice passes/plays as well. Tough to project coming out of Norway, but he stood out to me in a good way a number of times. Would be nice if we had a second in case he falls.

• Cheers 1

I don't mean to knock Cristall, I liked him last year & he's certainly talented, but as far as projecting to the NHL Tij is in a different tier all together.

Its going to be very interesting to see who's available at our pick, there's been talk about Ben Danford potentially rising to late 1st/early 2nd territory, in the draft simulators he's available at our picks interestingly, but for me I've actually liked his teammate Luca Marrelli alot better all season.

Both skate pretty well & defend pretty well (in the OHL) but Marelli has better puck skills, more offensive IQ, has more upside with the puck. If he's there at whatever our 1st pick is I'd be pretty happy with it.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • ThereItIs 1

My top 10:

1. Macklin Celebrini

2. Artyom Levshunov

3. Zeev Buium

4. Ivan Demidov

5. Cole Eiserman

6. Sam Dickinson

7. Cayden Lindstrom

8. Zayne Parekh

9. Tij Iginla

10. Anton Silayev

HM: Berkly Catton, Konsta Helenius, Carter Yakemchuk

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll take a stab at a top 10 as well:

SJ - Celebrini

CHI - Demidov

ANA - Levshunov

CBJ - Lindstrom

MTL - Catton

UTAH - Buium

OTT - Iginla

SEA - Silayev

CGY - Helenius

NJ - Solberg

HM: Eiserman, Parekh, Connelly, Sennecke, Brandsegg-Nygard

Edited by Jim Tim

Alright friends here's what I've got, my top 32; (bring on any feedback haha) 

1. Macklin Celebrini

2. Ivan Demidov

3. Anton Silayev

4. Zeev Buium

5. Cayden Lindstrom

6. Carter Yakemchuk

7. Berkly Catton

8. Sam Dickinson

9. Artyom Levshunov

10. Tij Iginla

----

11. Sennecke

12. Chernyshov

13. Parekh

14. Brandsegg-Nygard

15. Helenius

16. Shuravin

17. Solberg

18. Greentree

19. Basha

20. Freij

21. Badinka

22. Ritchie

23. Luchanko

24. Hage

25. Artamonov

26. Eiserman

27. Jiricek

28. Beaudoin

29. Pettersson

30. Vanacker

31. Emery

32. Surin

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Watching some more tape on Silayev as I finish my list & man... he is an absolute marvel to behold. Its unlike anything I've ever seen before. Maybe Hedman but Silayev moves even quicker than Hedman. The downside is he has basically no offensive game (unlike Hedman) but he could still be an absolute force.

He kind of reminds me of Jovo.

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If Jovo was 6'7 maybe, but even then Silayev moves faster. 1-2 cross overs laterally & he's moved like a meter or whatever, it's crazy.

It was meant as a compliment. just in that I'm never surprised to see him anywhere on the ice trying to win a battle. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

It was meant as a compliment. just in that I'm never surprised to see him anywhere on the ice trying to win a battle. 

Yeah I know, sorry if it came across the wrong way. Jovo was my fav player back in the day so I certainly didn't mean that as a knock I'm just blown away by Silayev, he's a freak of nature.

Im quite excited for this draft, I think there is potential for us to get a player at 93. When the day comes it'll be a rough ride watching desirable targets come off the board, but I'm optimistic that this draft has enough depth we'll get someone interesting there.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah I know, sorry if it came across the wrong way. Jovo was my fav player back in the day so I certainly didn't mean that as a knock I'm just blown away by Silayev, he's a freak of nature.

Im quite excited for this draft, I think there is potential for us to get a player at 93. When the day comes it'll be a rough ride watching desirable targets come off the board, but I'm optimistic that this draft has enough depth we'll get someone interesting there.

Swanson or Zether at 93 and Ill do a jig. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Swanson or Zether at 93 and Ill do a jig. 

I just did the thing, here's what I got.. lots of 'lukes'

Screenshot_20240623-213314.thumb.png.5d1e5d41be13ddd5f3a3219118c226f2.png

When I took Fischer.. Zether, Colton Roberts, and a few others were still on the board. Wasn't sure which way to go but Fischer has nice size+mobility, in a re-do might take Zether but...

Was surprised to see Curran available at the last pick. I barely recognized Bodin, had I saw Curran I would've taken him at that pick but it worked out.. doubt he's available in the 7th round come the 29th. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Watching some more tape on Silayev as I finish my list & man... he is an absolute marvel to behold. Its unlike anything I've ever seen before. Maybe Hedman but Silayev moves even quicker than Hedman. The downside is he has basically no offensive game (unlike Hedman) but he could still be an absolute force.

I disagree with your assessment that he has no offensive game.

While he did light it up at the start of the season then died off, he still showed that he has offense in him.

He played most of his 63 games last year in the KHL as a 17 year old.

The tools are there.

He actually models his game on Hedman and watches lots of video of him.

He has one of the all time greats coaching him, the Professor, Igor Larionov. 

And I know it took him 63 games however he broke the scoring record for an under 18 player in the KHL. 

For sure you can't project his offense like you can with Buium or Levshunov, however he certainly can develop his offensive skills in the next couple of years while being coached by Larionov. 

26 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I disagree with your assessment that he has no offensive game.

While he did light it up at the start of the season then died off, he still showed that he has offense in him.

He played most of his 63 games last year in the KHL as a 17 year old.

The tools are there.

He actually models his game on Hedman and watches lots of video of him.

He has one of the all time greats coaching him, the Professor, Igor Larionov. 

And I know it took him 63 games however he broke the scoring record for an under 18 player in the KHL. 

For sure you can't project his offense like you can with Buium or Levshunov, however he certainly can develop his offensive skills in the next couple of years while being coached by Larionov. 

What I would say with confidence is that right now there's not much of an offensive game with him. And I rate him #3 in the draft despite that (and debated him at #2 over Demidov), so I don't say this as a Silayev hater by any stretch. He started with some points at the beginning, but it wasn't really indicative of his skillset/game & didn't prove to be as the season went along.

IMO if he was projected as having the same offensive ability as even just Sam Dickinson - not Buium/Parekh/Yakemchuk - he would've legitimately challenged Celebrini for #1 on all the draft lists, if he had anywhere close to the offensive game of those guys Celebrini would go #2. He's that unique a prospect in the other areas. 

I was a big Dimitry Simashev fan last season - rated him #5 - and I would say Silayev is better at the things that make Simashev so good (size, mobility, defensive play), but Silayev is slightly worse in the areas that were viewed as Simashev's weaknesses (Simashev had more of an offensive lean to his game but a muffin of a shot for a guy that size, Silayev has both a muffin & isn't as involved offensively)

All that said, Silayev does handle the puck very well & I'd bet he'll develop a stronger shot as he becomes an adult, so he has the potential to contribute more in that area, but his calling card will never be offense. (Which won't matter if he plays 1/2 the game 5v5 & shuts the opponent down + transitions the puck up consistently in those minutes)

Edited by Smashian Kassian

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What I would say with confidence is that right now there's not much of an offensive game with him. And I rate him #3 in the draft despite that (and debated him at #2 over Demidov), so I don't say this as a Silayev hater by any stretch. He started with some points at the beginning, but it wasn't really indicative of his skillset/game & didn't prove to be as the season went along.

IMO if he was projected as having the same offensive ability as even just Sam Dickinson - not Buium/Parekh/Yakemchuk - he would've legitimately challenged Celebrini for #1 on all the draft lists, if he had anywhere close to the offensive game of those guys Celebrini would go #2. He's that unique a prospect in the other areas. 

I was a big Dimitry Simashev fan last season - rated him #5 - and I would say Silayev is better at the things that make Simashev so good (size, mobility, defensive play), but Silayev is slightly worse in the areas that were viewed as Simashev's weaknesses (Simashev had more of an offensive lean to his game but a muffin of a shot for a guy that size, Silayev has both a muffin & isn't as involved offensively)

All that said, Silayev does handle the puck very well & I'd bet he'll develop a stronger shot as he becomes an adult, so he has the potential to contribute more in that area, but his calling card will never be offense. (Which won't matter if he plays 1/2 the game 5v5 & shuts the opponent down + transitions the puck up consistently in those minutes)

Agree to disagree on your view that he will never be known for his offence.

All these kids are lottery tickets and for sure it's hard to predict how they will turn out. 

I am much higher on Silayev that Simashev.

He is virtually two years older and only put up 1 more point than Anton this year in the KHL.

I believe the potential is there for a Victor Hedman, with the right coaching and him putting in the work.

Only time will tell.

• Cheers 1

My top 32 

Not how they will go.

Celebrini

Buium 

Silayev

Levshunov

Demidov 

Lindstrom 

Catton 

Parekh 

Sennecke 

Yakemchuk

Connelly 

Helenius 

Dickinson 

Jiricek 

Chernyshov

Brandsegg-Nygard 

Artamonov

Eiserman 

Gridin 

Hage 

Igilna 

Greentree 

Biosvert 

Surin 

Kiviharju 

Basha 

Beaudoin

Freij 

Parascak 

Sahlin Wallenius 

Poirier 

Hemming 

VANCOUVER -- For the third time in the past five NHL Drafts, the Vancouver Canucks don’t have a first-round pick on Friday. They also don’t have a second-rounder in Las Vegas, leaving the Canucks with a top pick of No. 93 in Saturday’s third round.

But for the first time, this is seen as the cost of doing business for a franchise that won the Pacific Division this season and finally is back in a position to challenge for the Stanley Cup.

When they were without first-round picks in 2020 and 2021, the Canucks swung for the fences at those drafts by claiming players who had first-round size and skills but required a lot of development. Defenceman Joni Jurmo (drafted 82nd overall in 2020) is already out of the organization and winger Danila Klimovich (41st in 2021) looks only slightly closer to making the NHL after three challenging seasons with the Canucks' top minor-league team.

The profound difference for the Canucks in this weekend’s draft, besides their 109-point regular season, is a hockey operations department largely rebuilt by president Jim Rutherford and general manager Patrik Allvin since 2021. Amateur scouting director Todd Harvey is a holdover from the Jim Benning era, but he now reports to assistant GM Cammi Granato and, according to Rutherford, has transformed as a manager.

What also has changed is a clearer, more broadly understood, ideal about what traits the Canucks value most.

“Well, we want to play fast, right?” Harvey told Sportsnet last week. “We want competitive people. These kids are going to have roadblocks, they're going to have ups and downs. It's the kids that persevere to get through those roadblocks that are going to get a chance to get to the NHL.

“We kind of look for a player that that fits our mold. Obviously, we want skilled players; that's the name of the game. But we also look for good, character people.”

Players drafted in the third round and beyond who eventually become NHL regulars are like found money for NHL organizations. They’re a bonus. But there’s more pressure on Harvey’s scouts to find those players in a draft when Vancouver doesn't have first- and second-round picks.

This year’s first-rounder was surrendered to the Calgary Flames in the blockbuster rental acquisition of centre Elias Lindholm in January, while the second-round selection was given to the Chicago Blackhawks at the start of last season in the Jason Dickinson trade that provided some cap flexibility.

“I think we've done a pretty good job here in the last couple of years of finding some guys who maybe weren't top picks that might have a chance to play,” Harvey said. “We've got to keep doing that. I get what you're saying, that we don't have those high-end picks in the first or second round. But we're putting pressure on ourselves to still find guys that are going to be valuable players.”

More to read.....................