2024 Entry Draft

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So Matvei Gridin ended up being the pick we traded. I don't hate the pick for Calgary. Very talented, great shot/hands, and size. So all the tools you want but consistency in his effort seems to be the knock. For Calgary who needs upside swings I don't think its bad. 

A few guys I liked in my first round slipped out, if we had that pick I would've liked going with the big PWF in Igor Chernyshov or big intelligent DFD in Matvei Shuravin. Few of my favs. 

Some of those picks at the end I'm not sure about. Leafs going for Ben Danford seems pretty meh. Lots of people rave about his character but probably a 4/5D imo, we'll see. 

And I don't know what EDM was doing with the O'Rielly pick. They are trying to contend & just burned a premium trade chip on a player with limited upside (3rd/4th line C) imo. As a Canucks fan I don't mind it though!!!

Yes, picking up Chernyshov or Artamonov with that 28th would have been nice. 

Would like them to take a flyer on Daniel Nieminen with our 5th rounder if he is still there 

Mobile two way D-man.

Put up solid numbers in the under 20 SM sarja and on the international stage.

• Cheers 1

Just read the news about Chicago and CBJ making sweet love in the trade department. CBJ was smart to pass on that. Sure an unprotected first rounder sounds nice, it could be anything. Even a 4th overall pick. Just seems silly to gamble on their 1st rounder being better than your 1st rounder that's already a 4th overall pick. With 30mil in cap, they can make some moves to improve their standing. Won't be playoff, but having a pick around 6-11? Not unreal to think about.

Anyway, how we feeling about the 2nd round? Any names around our pick that sound good? And I mean literally dudes with cool names. After the first round, I draft for cool names :hurhur:

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Just read the news about Chicago and CBJ making sweet love in the trade department. CBJ was smart to pass on that. Sure an unprotected first rounder sounds nice, it could be anything. Even a 4th overall pick. Just seems silly to gamble on their 1st rounder being better than your 1st rounder that's already a 4th overall pick. With 30mil in cap, they can make some moves to improve their standing. Won't be playoff, but having a pick around 6-11? Not unreal to think about.

Anyway, how we feeling about the 2nd round? Any names around our pick that sound good? And I mean literally dudes with cool names. After the first round, I draft for cool names :hurhur:

Well, of the list above Badinka and Basha sound fun. 

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So Matvei Gridin ended up being the pick we traded. I don't hate the pick for Calgary. Very talented, great shot/hands, and size. So all the tools you want but consistency in his effort seems to be the knock. For Calgary who needs upside swings I don't think its bad. 

A few guys I liked in my first round slipped out, if we had that pick I would've liked going with the big PWF in Igor Chernyshov or big intelligent DFD in Matvei Shuravin. Few of my favs. 

Some of those picks at the end I'm not sure about. Leafs going for Ben Danford seems pretty meh. Lots of people rave about his character but probably a 4/5D imo, we'll see. 

And I don't know what EDM was doing with the O'Rielly pick. They are trying to contend & just burned a premium trade chip on a player with limited upside (3rd/4th line C) imo. As a Canucks fan I don't mind it though!!!

Can’t believe I am beating @Alflivesto this but…..big time bustaroo and Calgary can suck pucks. 

Am I doing this right?  I don’t have any reasoning just a general dislike for the Flames. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

A boats a boat but the Mystery box could be anything... it could even be a boat.. you know how we've always wanted one of those

(In this case the mystery box potentially being James Hagens would be nice, but its a risky move vs just taking a guy like Lindstrom)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Getting closer & closer to our pick.

Tarin Smith goes to Anaheim, Henry Mews goes to Calgary. Some intriguing pickups.

Shuravin remains far & away #1 target for me, big Vancouver Gaints Dman Colton Roberts also available.

Wasn’t Henry Mews ranked fringe first forums pre draft? I don’t know this crop too we’ll this year 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Unless hes bad, then it's kind of embarrassing.

What an idiotic comment. It's the 3rd round.  The chance of any of these guys making it is relatively low.  Montreal drafting the son of thier 2nd longest serving captain in team history is a nice story regardless of if he makes it or not.  And for the review, he was apparently one of the biggest risers in the draft earlier in the spring 

• Huggy Bear 1

Some interesting defenseman still available; Shuravin, Kiviharju, Ustinkov, Roberts, Vaasianen, exc.

If they want to go that way they'll have options. Simon Zether still there too.

Edit: of course they go to break right before our pick, seems to happen every year. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Thanks 1