2024 Entry Draft

Ilunga

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Did I miss a new Bettman decree or something?  When did the NHL start allowing teams to draft children straight out of junior high school?

You guys missed a big opportunity with that pick. Satan, son of Satan.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/806027/miroslav-satan

:classic_laugh:

• Vintage 2

Montréal Canadiennes are going to be my 2nd favorite team soon. Love this kid Demidov they drafted. So talented. 

Going to be fun watching that young team grow into a good team. 

• Like 1

Minnesota Wild come out like bandits in this one imo based on the number of picks they had. Sharks and Canadiens did quite well for them selves as well. I like the Canucks picks but harder to get excited when your first pick is in the 3rd round. Didnt seem like this draft was as deep in the later rounds as last year. 

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Minnesota Wild come out like bandits in this one imo based on the number of picks they had. Sharks and Canadiens did quite well for them selves as well. I like the Canucks picks but harder to get excited when your first pick is in the 3rd round. Didnt seem like this draft was as deep in the later rounds as last year. 

I have San Jose and Calgary as the "winners" of this year's draft.

2 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

I have San Jose and Calgary as the "winners" of this year's draft.

Yeah Calgary did very well for themselves, for San Jose having the first overall pick its hard not to be a winner. They got very lucky Dickinson was there at 11 as well. 

I cant believe the Wild were able to pick up Aron Kiviharju in the fourth round. He then walks right up the Guerin and tells him he just picked the steal of the draft.   

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/watch-fourth-rounder-kiviharju-to-guerin-you-just-got-the-steal-of-the-draft-r30121/

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah Calgary did very well for themselves, for San Jose having the first overall pick its hard not to be a winner. They got very lucky Dickinson was there at 11 as well. 

I cant believe the Wild were able to pick up Aron Kiviharju in the fourth round. He then walks right up the Guerin and tells him he just picked the steal of the draft.   

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/watch-fourth-rounder-kiviharju-to-guerin-you-just-got-the-steal-of-the-draft-r30121/

Not much of a Dickinson fan myself, but I had him in the 10-15 range so it was a solid pick. I had Chernyshov ahead of Dickinson at 11, so that was maybe the steal of the draft for me.

But then Sahlin Wallenius, Carson Wetsch, Colton Roberts. Looks like a real solid draft for them all the way through.

• Cheers 1

On 6/30/2024 at 6:25 PM, WHL rocks said:

Montréal Canadiennes are going to be my 2nd favorite team soon. Love this kid Demidov they drafted. So talented. 

Going to be fun watching that young team grow into a good team. 

I think the big thing for me and Montreal is who is better Demidov and Reinbacher or Michkov and Parekh. Maybe even Michkov and Demidov that would have been really fun!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Not much of a Dickinson fan myself, but I had him in the 10-15 range so it was a solid pick. I had Chernyshov ahead of Dickinson at 11, so that was maybe the steal of the draft for me.

But then Sahlin Wallenius, Carson Wetsch, Colton Roberts. Looks like a real solid draft for them all the way through.

Dickinson reminds me of Chychrun in his draft year (less physical), not as flashy as some of the others but solid in all areas and silently gets it done. I could see Dickinson in the NHL after next season. Fun fact he now owns the record for the best plus/minus per regular season all time in the OHL for an U18 skater. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

On 6/29/2024 at 9:19 PM, Sabrefan1 said:

Did I miss a new Bettman decree or something?  When did the NHL start allowing teams to draft children straight out of junior high school?

Good lord, Buffalo drafting 12 year olds now. Talk about baby face. 

• Haha 1

I doubt that any of our picks ever make much of an impact, but thats fine with our first pick being in the third round.  I did like that went for high potential, most of our guys were ranked much higher than where we got them.

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 3:53 PM, BCNate said:

I doubt that any of our picks ever make much of an impact, but thats fine with our first pick being in the third round.  I did like that went for high potential, most of our guys were ranked much higher than where we got them.

Fernstrom could make an impact down the line if he improves his skating. He lead all U18 skaters in J20 Nationell in goals and points per game (higher point per game in J20 than Lekkerimaki in draft year). If he fixes his glaring flaws he could show great improvement. Canucks would have got really good eyes on him playing for Orebro this past season.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

For where he was picked, this is gonna be the absolute steal of the draft.

And I freakin love those were his first words to Bill Guerin , 

" You just made the (bleep) best steal of the draft. 

People say that he is small, according to elite prospects he is 5'10" 185 Ib's. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/526036/aron-kiviharju

According to elite prospects Quinn Hughes is 5'10" 181 Ib's. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/201671/quinn-hughes

The  Draft combine had him at 5'9.5" 184Ib's

https://thehockeywriters.com/2024-nhl-combine-heights-and-weights/

I am willing to bet that Aron is gonna make 31 GM's regret they didn't take him.

He would have been my pick at our pick.

Hands down the best prospect, potential wise, at that stage of the draft. 

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I am willing to bet that Aron is gonna make 31 GM's regret they didn't take him.

He could have the exact same physical measurements of Quinn Hughes, the same suit size, like the same foods, have the same favorite TV Show, be born on the same day, have the exact same GPA in school ….. but if he can’t move the same way, can’t edge or turn, can’t accelerate at an elite level, then he remains a prospect who was taken in the fourth round with maybe the best thing going for him being the slight he feels presently. 

4 hours ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

He could have the exact same physical measurements of Quinn Hughes, the same suit size, like the same foods, have the same favorite TV Show, be born on the same day, have the exact same GPA in school ….. but if he can’t move the same way, can’t edge or turn, can’t accelerate at an elite level, then he remains a prospect who was taken in the fourth round with maybe the best thing going for him being the slight he feels presently. 

Have you followed his career ?

If you have, you would know that him being fired up about being drafted late is not the best thing going for him.

As a quite a few scouting reports noted, he is one of the best passers and smartest hockey minds in this draft. 

Up until the start of this season he was rated a top five prospect.

It was an injury that derailed his season. 

People talk about taking high risk, high reward players at that stage of the draft.

His ceiling is a top pairing offensive D-man. 

We will see if he achieves that. 

Barring injury I am a believer. 

17 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I think there was some concern as to his knees. He's already had several serious knee injuries. As a result his skating is not where it needs to be at his size rightnow. Hopefully with time to recover and being young he will bounce back and gain the needed explosivenes in his stride. His IQ and puck skills are fantastic he was one of the most talented youngsters for years. I had him in the 3rd but given the board I liked our pick there I would have also taken Shuravin.

29 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I think there was some concern as to his knees. He's already had several serious knee injuries. As a result his skating is not where it needs to be at his size rightnow. Hopefully with time to recover and being young he will bounce back and gain the needed explosivenes in his stride. His IQ and puck skills are fantastic he was one of the most talented youngsters for years. I had him in the 3rd but given the board I liked our pick there I would have also taken Shuravin.

He definitely had the highest upside of any prospect at that stage of the draft. 

Most of the scouting organisations had him as a late first to sometime in the second. 

For sure he is a high risk, however he is very high reward. 

I had Romani as a late third, early fourth myself.  

As for Shuravin, he is a decent prospect. 

I respect the hockey writers as reasonable gauge of talent.

One that you can access most of the prospects that are worth considering.

https://thehockeywriters.com/matvei-shuravin-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

https://thehockeywriters.com/aron-kiviharju-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

" Kiviharju's potential really hinges on his health. If he continues to have injury problems over the next couple of seasons, his most important developmental years, it will stunt his growth.

That could lower his projection to a top four defenseman, but his skill set suggests there is plenty more to his game and he could turn into a number 2 defenseman on a contender. He just needs to stay healthy.

That's why he is a high risk high reward player "

People are talking about taking high risk,  high reward players at this stage of the draft.

They don't come much higher reward than a top pairing offensive D-man. 

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Have you followed his career ?

If you have, you would know that him being fired up about being drafted late is not the best thing going for him.

As a quite a few scouting reports noted, he is one of the best passers and smartest hockey minds in this draft. 

Up until the start of this season he was rated a top five prospect.

It was an injury that derailed his season. 

People talk about taking high risk, high reward players at that stage of the draft.

His ceiling is a top pairing offensive D-man. 

We will see if he achieves that. 

Barring injury I am a believer. 

I’m glad he has a champion in you and, given his profile and previous evaluations, I’m sure there are many others who are convinced he will succeed at the highest level.

I will admit my bias towards smaller, average skating D who profile as offence generators. I’m not convinced there’s an easy path for these physical and skill types unless they have an elite (elite,elite) ability to maneuver, separate, escape and create.

Im a huge fan of the draft and the process itself and the promise that each young man is able to draw upon. I think it’s fair to say that I see this kid as a considerable long shot given when he was drafted.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

I’m glad he has a champion in you and, given his profile and previous evaluations, I’m sure there are many others who are convinced he will succeed at the highest level.

I will admit my bias towards smaller, average skating D who profile as offence generators. I’m not convinced there’s an easy path for these physical and skill types unless they have an elite (elite,elite) ability to maneuver, separate, escape and create.

Im a huge fan of the draft and the process itself and the promise that each young man is able to draw upon. I think it’s fair to say that I see this kid as a considerable long shot given when he was drafted.

All these kids are lottery tickets. 

Even some of the first rounders. 

If Aron does not get anymore injuries I can guarantee you he will play in the NHL one day.

That's the risk.

Not his skill or hockey IQ which are both high level.

At our pick there were no forwards with top line upside.

With Aron you have top pairing upside.

For a late third round pick, high risk, high reward, what more can you ask for. 

And you know what you can't teach, an overwhelming desire to succeed.

How many kids walked up and told the GM who drafted them, they are gonna prove all the doubters wrong. 

29 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

All these kids are lottery tickets. 

Even some of the first rounders. 

If Aron does not get anymore injuries I can guarantee you he will play in the NHL one day.

That's the risk.

Not his skill or hockey IQ which are both high level.

At our pick there were no forwards with top line upside.

With Aron you have top pairing upside.

For a late third round pick, high risk, high reward, what more can you ask for. 

And you know what you can't teach, an overwhelming desire to succeed.

How many kids walked up and told the GM who drafted them, they are gonna prove all the doubters wrong. 

We will see somewhere in the next three or four years I suppose. Whether the Wild will be in need of a smallish puck mover at that stage will partly determine his assent. 

As for the Canucks, our organization needs at forward had to considerably outweigh the drafting of this young man. 

48 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

We will see somewhere in the next three or four years I suppose. Whether the Wild will be in need of a smallish puck mover at that stage will partly determine his assent. 

As for the Canucks, our organization needs at forward had to considerably outweigh the drafting of this young man. 

You are happy with a winger whose upside is middle six winger at best, who are a dime a dozen, that's fine. 

Me with a late third rounder, I would shoot for a top pairing offensive D-man if he was still on the board as Aron was.

They are the most valuable commodity in the NHL.

You seem so concerned about size. 

He is same height and weight as Quinn while still being only 18 years old.

The Wild got two steals.

First with Buium at 14.

Best all around D-man in the draft. 

And Aron.