2024 Entry Draft

Ilunga

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You are happy with a winger whose upside is middle six winger at best, who are a dime a dozen, that's fine. 

Me with a late third rounder, I would shoot for a top pairing offensive D-man if he was still on the board as Aron was.

They are the most valuable commodity in the NHL.

You seem so concerned about size. 

He is same height and weight as Quinn while still being only 18 years old.

The Wild got two steals.

First with Buium at 14.

Best all around D-man in the draft. 

And Aron. 

My concern is, at his size, which compares to our QH, he possesses none of the elite skating attributes that someone of this size almost always requires to become an impact player at the highest level (the reason he was taken where he was in the draft).

I’ll watch with interest to see if he proves everybody wrong.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You are happy with a winger whose upside is middle six winger at best, who are a dime a dozen, that's fine. 

Me with a late third rounder, I would shoot for a top pairing offensive D-man if he was still on the board as Aron was.

They are the most valuable commodity in the NHL.

You seem so concerned about size. 

He is same height and weight as Quinn while still being only 18 years old.

The Wild got two steals.

First with Buium at 14.

Best all around D-man in the draft. 

And Aron. 

Youre not listening. 

Did you watch the shifts you posted above?

He can't skate. Sit down and watch this video you posted.

WTF was that off the opening faceoff fancy pants no look pass from behind the net straight to a green jersey.  1-0 Ilves

When he's on his horse he's bailing more hay than he is getting anywhere. So while yes his iq and offensive acumen are tantalizing It was obvious to many watching and excited about this kid for years. He was going to take a big tumble in the draft. He has had multiple serious knee injuries including a dislocated knee cap and torn acl. If the pop never comes to his stride, it won't matter how good his IQ is. 

image.thumb.png.ede20c78667955a00c328a4ff1635f5c.png

I couldn't understand why he was still being ranked ahead of Cole Hutson all year. 

Edit: I do hope he fully recovers. He's been fun to watch in 2022 I would have pegged him to be top 3.

Edited by Hammertime
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Youre not listening. 

Did you watch the shifts you posted above?

He can't skate. Sit down and watch this video you posted.

WTF was that off the opening faceoff fancy pants no look pass from behind the net straight to a green jersey.  1-0 Ilves

When he's on his horse he's bailing more hay than he is getting anywhere. So while yes his iq and offensive acumen are tantalizing It was obvious to many watching and excited about this kid for years. He was going to take a big tumble in the draft. He has had multiple serious knee injuries including a dislocated knee cap and torn acl. If the pop never comes to his stride, it won't matter how good his IQ is. 

image.thumb.png.ede20c78667955a00c328a4ff1635f5c.png

I couldn't understand why he was still being ranked ahead of Cole Hutson all year. 

Edit: I do hope he fully recovers. He's been fun to watch in 2022 I would have pegged him to be top 3.

Calm down champ, this is simply a discussion about a prospect in a draft thread. 

This is all why he is a high risk, high reward player. 

At that stage of the draft, there was no one left with a higher ceiling at their position.

This is a kid that as a 15 year old defenseman scored more points in Finland's Under 20 league than Sasha Barkov, Miko Rantanen and Anton Lundell

Skating can be easily improved by working with a coach.

You can't teach hockey smarts, natural talent and his obvious will to win.  

As much as we think we can analyse and rank these prospects, a consensus of the scouting organisations had him ranked in the first or second round. 

Again if you are happy with a kid whose ceiling is a middle six winger, that's fine.

Me, I would have gambled on potentially getting a top pairing offensive D-man. 

Even though the risk of him achieving that is higher. 

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Calm down champ, this is simply a discussion about a prospect in a draft thread. 

This is all why he is a high risk, high reward player. 

At that stage of the draft, there was no one left with a higher ceiling at their position.

This is a kid that as a 15 year old defenseman scored more points in Finland's Under 20 league than Sasha Barkov, Miko Rantanen and Anton Lundell

Skating can be easily improved by working with a coach.

You can't teach hockey smarts, natural talent and his obvious will to win.  

As much as we think we can analyse and rank these prospects, a consensus of the scouting organisations had him ranked in the first or second round. 

Again if you are happy with a kid whose ceiling is a middle six winger, that's fine.

Me, I would have gambled on potentially getting a top pairing offensive D-man. 

Even though the risk of him achieving that is higher. 

Alright. 

4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Find this guy! Reflex like this don't grow on trees.

That was so filthy

In the NHL he'd have been stapled to the boards or dragged down by a larger defender who knew how to use the stick and body but this was fun to watch

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That was so filthy

In the NHL he'd have been stapled to the boards or dragged down by a larger defender who knew how to use the stick and body but this was fun to watch

Yeah that guy is listed at 5'8 and 153. Suchkov I believe.

35 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

Yeah that guy is listed at 5'8 and 153. Suchkov I believe.

Oh he'd absolutely die on NHL ice but it doesn't mean it wasn't fun to watch 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

August 21, 2024 by Lukas Bernasiewicz
In the 2023 Entry NHL draft, the Vancouver Canucks made two surprising overage draft picks. The first is Ty Mueller out of the University of Nebraska-Omaha who recently signed an NHL contract near the end of last season and looks to be a big part with the Abbotsford Canucks for the 2024-25 season. The second was center Matthew Perkins who went undrafted in his first year of eligibility in 2022 but was selected by Vancouver in the fourth round the next year. Perkins was selected out of the Youngstown Phantoms of the United States Hockey League (USHL) in 2023, committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth, and played there for the 2023-24 season,

totaling 15 points in 35 games.

Perkins decided to take the NCAA route instead of playing in the CHL (Canadian Hockey League) which has become an increasingly-popular route to take for players in Canada. Perkins decided to take the college route because he felt he “was always a late bloomer” in terms of growing when it comes to both his on and off-ice game. With that distinction, college is the perfect spot for him because players have more time to sign with an NHL team than if they were to play in the CHL.

CHL players need to sign entry-level contracts (ELCs) with NHL teams within two seasons of being drafted whereas NCAA players can wait longer than two years to sign an ELC. Some wait even as long as five seasons before they sign their contract. Perkins can now develop his game more and more at the university level and once he turns pro, he can be NHL-ready and skip the AHL like Matthew Knies did with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Frank Nazar did with the Chicago Blackhawks.

With him taking this path, he needed to play Junior “A” and could not play in the Western Hockey League, so he stayed close to home and played for the Humboldt Broncos of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League. The Broncos became a story six years ago after their tragic bus crash in 2018 but the team has rebuilt their program since the tragedy and Perkins was a part of that. “I loved my time in Humboldt,” said Perkins. “[The league] is a little grittier and a bit harder of a game and that was great for my development.” Perkins also performed well in his first season with Humboldt, recording 59 points in 57 games helping Humboldt reach the top spot in their division and helping them reach the second round of the playoffs. 

Once he finished his season in Humboldt, Perkins headed south of the border to play for the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL. Perkins joined a great Youngstown team that won the USHL championships with great players like Blue Jackets prospect William Whitelaw, Blackhawks prospect Martin Misiak, and Montreal Canadiens prospect Jacob Fowler. “It was Awesome,” Perkins said about his time in Youngstown. “We had an amazing locker room and from the top down from owners to coaches to trainers we had an awesome group.” Perkins also spoke on what the USHL was like in comparison to his year in Humboldt. “It’s super fast and I found it to be super deep. Some teams can just roll all four lines and it did not matter who the teams were playing against. There is a lot of skill and still very fast paced, definitely a lot more skilled and faster than when I played in the SJHL.”

Prior to his championship year in Youngstown, Perkins had already committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth. Perkins said that a big reason why he chose UMD was because of their head coach, Scott Sandelin. Sandelin and Perkins really bonded during the recruiting process. “It just felt like the right fit for me and the place that I had felt most comfortable. [Sandelin] has produced so many good and long-term NHL players where that drew a lot to my eye.” Some notable players that Sandelin coached at UMD are Justin Faulk of the St. Louis Blues, Alex Iafallo of the Winnipeg Jets, and current Canuck Carson Soucy.

Perkins’ Canucks Experiences
Perkins has not had many interactions with the Canucks organization since he is still a prospect but the few he has had have been memorable. The first was when he was drafted in 2023. “It was a little surreal,” Perkins said. “It still feels surreal.” On the day of the draft in Nashville, Perkins was not there so he celebrated with his family in Saskatchewan. He had just gotten home from the gym and began to eat breakfast because he did not anticipate being selected as highly as he was. As he was eating, his mom screamed as his name came across the TV and he had been selected by the Canucks. “I honestly don’t know if I can describe the emotion, it was pretty amazing,” he said.