2024 Entry Draft

Admittedly I haven't followed this class as closely as I have in the past. So this is a bit pin the tail on the donkey. But here is a guy that stands out to me as a possible late round steal. 

Mac Swanson a stout 5'7 160lbs ish. The kid makes plays in a phone booth to be fair a phone booth would be a mansion for him. He has fucking crushed it though. 

image.png.d538eefc99dad65ac0ab0f6da4cd18a0.png

Those assists are wild when you consider he's saucing to the likes of Zam Plante and Cole Knuble (22/23). He's hardly even ranked. Obliterated the playoffs too.

image.png.f541d4769be8d254347c47241ab74ebf.png

MVP MAC SWANSON 🏆

USHL Forward of the Year ✅
USHL Player of the Year ✅
USHL Clark Cup MVP ✅
Clark Cup Champion ✅

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7JBOHeAicp/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Worth a flier IMO. 

Other notable late round steals. 

Noel Fransen Swedish goal scoring D yes please. 

image.png.6842824ccd6f0ee45061b1dc3f5f959d.png

Linus Eriksson I doubt makes it too us but if he does I'll be pretty happy to hear his name called. Good frame 2 way C stood out to me at the WJC. 

image.png.1773da827aa8667daca6fa235d81ba30.png

That's a pretty damn good looking season for the kid. 

My true hope is somehow we manage to pick up a 1st/2nd to make cap room for signings and also get a great player in the draft. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/3/2024 at 5:49 PM, MatchesMalone said:

One thing I like about Zayne Parekh is, he scores a lot off slap shots, which I had heard was a lost or dying art.

To me that's more of a red flag. Players don't have the time they used to, to wind up...that's why the slap shot has kind of disappeared. The game has gotten faster. That may not translate very well to the pro levels.

46 minutes ago, ArtyParty said:

To me that's more of a red flag. Players don't have the time they used to, to wind up...that's why the slap shot has kind of disappeared. The game has gotten faster. That may not translate very well to the pro levels.

Lol, Parekh has some actual red flags. A few extra goals from an extra weapon in his arsenal is not one of them.

• ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Lol, Parekh has some actual red flags. A few extra goals from an extra weapon in his arsenal is not one of them.

You said he scores "Alot of slapshots" now you say "a few extra goals"

Make sure you are internally consistent with your arguments

"Lol"

• Haha 1

Wondering if management can’t find a reasonable contract for Hronek that they trade him at the draft to recoup some of our depleted draft capital. Crazy I know since we just acquired him last year. However so is paying 8 million for a D that would not only be more then Hughes salary but can’t carry his own pairing. 

With the need to have more cheap talent with the tough OEL buyout years taking into effect next season for the next four years. We need to have some ELCs that will be able to push our baseline of depth to keep our competitive window open. We need picks to make this happen and I’m all for it if Hronek’s camp is being unreasonable. We can find a stopgap (Tanev?) RSD while Wallander is still a year or two away. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Wondering if management can’t find a reasonable contract for Hronek that they trade him at the draft to recoup some of our depleted draft capital. Crazy I know since we just acquired him last year. However so is paying 8 million for a D that would not only be more then Hughes salary but can’t carry his own pairing. 

With the need to have more cheap talent with the tough OEL buyout years taking into effect next season for the next four years. We need to have some ELCs that will be able to push our baseline of depth to keep our competitive window open. We need picks to make this happen and I’m all for it if Hronek’s camp is being unreasonable. We can find a stopgap (Tanev?) RSD while Wallander is still a year or two away. 

Our window is open now. We don't need to be drafting players 3-4 years away. I agree Hronek is not worth 8 but if you trade him I think it should be a team who's looking for a more experienced offensive RD, for a younger defensive RD, and perhaps a young fast winger with hands.  But we need NHL ready/experienced players now IMHO

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 6:24 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Hronek for Necas and a 2nd maybe?

Pretty good value, Hronek is for sure worth more with the premium position he plays. I'm wondering if we could double up and package Hronek + a good prospect/pick of ours for Necas + Nikishin?

• Upvote 1

^^ If Hronek is 'demanding' $8Mill.  My guess is management will, and should be, patient.

The returns on an offer sheet are more than we paid for him. Its unlikely to happen.  The team is in the drivers seat. 

Gotta admit that draft capital would be fun.  And suddenly we would have cap to spend!  FTR, i am pretty happy with Hronek the player.  I heavily suspect it will just play out & he will be here long term...

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

^^ If Hronek is 'demanding' $8Mill.  My guess is management will, and should be, patient.

The returns on an offer sheet are more than we paid for him. Its unlikely to happen.  The team is in the drivers seat. 

Gotta admit that draft capital would be fun.  And suddenly we would have cap to spend!  FTR, i am pretty happy with Hronek the player.  I heavily suspect it will just play out & he will be here long term...

I think the worry is that if it goes through arbitration you can’t trade that player for a full calendar year walking him right to free agency. Or that the public enormous ask in contract demands of 8 mill a year will surely take away his trade value. Canucks are probably looking at less than what they paid to get him. I wonder if this is why Detroit moved on from a young RHD.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Iginla is only going top 10 because of his last name, he would be floating around 20-25 if not 

No way. This kid has all the tools; strength, skating, great shot, playmaking vision, wall work, defensive responsibility, exc.

He has dependable top 6 forward written all over him, and his development arc has been great. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

No way. This kid has all the tools; strength, skating, great shot, playmaking vision, wall work, defensive responsibility, exc.

He has dependable top 6 forward written all over him, and his development arc has been great. 

Cristall is filthy and packed tij, watched half a dozen games this year, great player tho, he’s gunna have a solid career just think he’s gunna turn into a middle 6 nobody is spending a top 15 pick hoping to land a middle 6 caliber are they?… just my opinion 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Captain insano said:

Cristall is filthy and packed tij, watched half a dozen games this year, great player tho, he’s gunna have a solid career just think he’s gunna turn into a middle 6 nobody is spending a top 15 pick hoping to land a middle 6 caliber are they?… just my opinion 

I watched 6 games this year in Kelowna, a bunch last year, Cristall might be the most one dimensional player in the WHL. When he's not scoring he's a detriment to your team. Iginla is so much better than him, its not even close. He has the full toolbox.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Captain insano said:

55 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

I watched 6 games this year in Kelowna, a bunch last year, Cristall might be the most one dimensional player in the WHL. When he's not scoring he's a detriment to your team. Iginla is so much better than him, its not even close. He has the full toolbox.

I've seen my share of games aswell & they weren't on the same line many nights

At first I felt Iginla might be a 20 range guy but as the year went along Iginla got better & better. He's the real deal imo. Agree he's better than Cristall. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Whorvat said:

I would argue tij has potential to be better but as you pointed out Cristall has an insane offensive touch and he inflated tij numbers a lot offensively, if he didn’t have his numbers so inflated he wouldn’t be sitting in the top 10 

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I've seen my share of games aswell & they weren't on the same line many nights

At first I felt Iginla might be a 20 range guy but as the year went along Iginla got better & better. He's the real deal imo. Agree he's better than Cristall. 

Power play all year and prob same line 2/3 of the season, I’m not saying tij ain’t good I’m just saying he’s def being overrated 

On 6/13/2024 at 5:26 PM, Captain insano said:

I would argue tij has potential to be better but as you pointed out Cristall has an insane offensive touch and he inflated tij numbers a lot offensively, if he didn’t have his numbers so inflated he wouldn’t be sitting in the top 10 

Power play all year and prob same line 2/3 of the season, I’m not saying tij ain’t good I’m just saying he’s def being overrated 

I think it was less than that, I'd be surprised if they played together consistently half the season. But regardless even on the PP Cristall has the touch your right but Tij is a trigger man. He's also stronger on the puck, stronger around the net, and he's a good passer too getting it back over to Cristall on the half wall. Its not backdoor tap-ins for him. He scored 47 goals & 9 in 11 games in the playoffs, he's got legit scoring ability in his own right & more pro elements to his game. 

Tij is a top 6 forward all day for me. Right now I got him around 10. I think 5-7 is too high but if he sneaks into the back of the top 10 I think it would be fine. If a team gets him 12-15 they are ecstatic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think it was less than that, I'd be surprised if they played together consistently half the season. But regardless even on the PP Cristall has the touch your right but Tij is a trigger man. He's also stronger on the puck, stronger around the net, and he's a good passer too getting it back over to Cristall on the half wall. Its not backdoor tap-ins for him. He scored 47 goals & 9 in 11 games in the playoffs, he's got legit scoring ability in his own right & more pro elements to his game. 

Tij is a top 6 forward all day for me. Right now I got him around 10. I think 5-7 is too high but if he sneaks into the back of the top 10 I think it would be fine. If a team gets him 12-15 they are ecstatic.

Tij is immensely more talented than one dimensional Cristall. Its not even close, IMO

Cristall was the most frustrating Rocket to watch live, completely cherry picking, no back checking, not hard on pucks. This wasn't just a 1 game thing either, every game I've watched live I felt the same about him after. 

I don't think Cristall amounts to much more than an AHL tweener, likely off to Europe early on in his pro career

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Tij is immensely more talented than one dimensional Cristall. Its not even close, IMO

Cristall was the most frustrating Rocket to watch live, completely cherry picking, no back checking, not hard on pucks. This wasn't just a 1 game thing either, every game I've watched live I felt the same about him after. 

I don't think Cristall amounts to much more than an AHL tweener, likely off to Europe early on in his pro career

19 year old averaging almost 2ppg and putting up 40 yeah def no nhl career for him 🤣