2024 Entry Draft

13 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Connelly with his 4th of the game, with the Mike Legg.

Had to look that up brother.

A " Michigan " goal. 

Our boy Logan pulled of one of those a couple of years ago.

Check out this move this year 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CaptainQuin said:

Is this year suppose to be a strong draft class ? 

It is somewhat deep but doesn't seem to have a game breaker like last year. Still early though. What I like about this class is the quality of defensemen.

16 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Yup, I'd call it pretty average. Maybe slightly above average. Lots of good depth but doesn't have those bluechip superstars at the top like Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson.

Celebrini comes close but I don't think he's quite on the level of any of those three.

It is a really strong class for defensemen though, maybe even better than 2021 or '22.

These types of drafts are the most to prognosticate cuz the experts tend to get players wrong

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/21/2023 at 3:28 AM, Ilunga said:

First time I have seen the Tankathon mock draft this year 

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft

That's a pretty solid list for the most part. You can tell as the season goes on lists are starting to be based more on actual viewings than just stats. Lindstrom and Levshunov naturally rising to the top. But still Hemming, Zether, Beaudoin need to be wayyyyyy higher. I'm also still not entirely convinced on Dickinson or Silayev, wouldn't mind seeing Jiricek, Buium, Yakemchuk ahead of them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

That's a pretty solid list for the most part. You can tell as the season goes on lists are starting to be based more on actual viewings than just stats. Lindstrom and Levshunov naturally rising to the top. But still Hemming, Zether, Beaudoin need to be wayyyyyy higher. I'm also still not entirely convinced on Dickinson or Silayev, wouldn't mind seeing Jiricek, Buium, Yakemchuk ahead of them.

Not sold on Lindstrom. His linemates in Masha and McKenna do alot of driving the play for him. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

Not sold on Lindstrom. His linemates in basha and McKenna do alot of driving the play for him. 

So far I think the best Value pick relative to draft rank. My this year's Hameenaho pick which some of you may remember me harping on about. Is Simon Zether I'm not seeing him in many rankings first round but I feel he deserves top 20 consideration. I think when he matures into his frame he's going to be fantastic in the bumper spot. He really owns the area 10feet out below the hashes against his age group. Of course he's struggling to do it against men in the SHL but not even Dvorsky last year was able to dominate men below the hashes and he's a brick. Zether I think is the steal of the draft if he goes mid 2nd. Like Hameenaho, Hoglander. Somehow I'd love to see us add a pick up snatch up Zether. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

So far I think the best Value pick relative to draft rank. My this year's Hameenaho pick which some of you may remember me harping on about. Is Simon Zether I'm not seeing him in many rankings first round but I feel he deserves top 20 consideration. I think when he matures into his frame he's going to be fantastic in the bumper spot. He really owns the area 10feet out below the hashes against his age group. Of course he's struggling to do it against men in the SHL but not even Dvorsky last year was able to dominate men below the hashes and he's a brick. Zether I think is the steal of the draft if he goes mid 2nd. Like Hameenaho, Hoglander. Somehow I'd love to see us add a pick up snatch up Zether. 

My only qualm would be I don't think he'll fall far enough to be the steal you think he will be. 6'3 center, dominated the circle at U18s last year. 1.5 plus p/g in J20. I have to think some team will take him by late first.

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

My only qualm would be I don't think he'll fall far enough to be the steal you think he will be. 6'3 center, dominated the circle at U18s last year. 1.5 plus p/g in J20. I have to think some team will take him by late first.

Maybe it's just the early rankings sleeping on him. I absolutely have a target on him with our 1st among a few others. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, isam said:

Not sold on Lindstrom. His linemates in Masha and McKenna do alot of driving the play for him. 

I agree, hes kind of a complimentary player but he's still a very good one. If your expecting him to be your bonafide 1C you could be disappointed, but if you have a playmaker/driver to put him with he could score a ton of goals imo. He's good at getting himself into positions off puck & he doesn't need many chances to finish. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree, hes kind of a complimentary player but he's still a very good one. If your expecting him to be your bonafide 1C you could be disappointed, but if you have a playmaker/driver to put him with he could score a ton of goals imo. He's good at getting himself into positions off puck & he doesn't need many chances to finish. 

He rarely plays with McKenna in Medicine Hat. Willy spreads them out. 

I agree though, Lindstrom is great, but every game i watch he is overshadowed by McKenna. Especially given the age and size difference. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I agree though, Lindstrom is great, but every game i watch he is overshadowed by McKenna. Especially given the age and size difference. 

Yes that's correct. Plays with Basha much more, McKenna plays on the 2nd line in most games I've seen. All play together on the PP.

And I agree on McKenna, its crazy he's still 2 years away from being drafted as he's ridiculously good already. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

And yet his hockey IQ let's h down just on positioning. I like Lindstrom cuz when he is on, he is great. But then he throws up a dumb play. I dunno smash

14 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yes that's correct. Plays with Basha much more, McKenna plays on the 2nd line in most games I've seen. All play together on the PP.

And I agree on McKenna, its crazy he's still 2 years away from being drafted as he's ridiculously good already. 

So good! 
Are you in Medicine Hat? I got seasons this year because of how strong the Tigers are.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Basha is so underrated.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

C Macklin Celebrini Boston U NCAA
  LD Anton Silayev Torpedo KHL
  C Cayden Lindstrom Medicine Hat WHL
  LW Ivan Demidov SKA KHL
  LW Cole Eiserman USNTDP USHL
  LD Sam Dickinson London OHL
  LW Trevor Connelly Tri-City USHL
  LW Michael Nygard Mora SWE-2
  C Berkly Catton Spokane WHL
  RD Adam Jiricek Plzen CZE

Here's Grant McCagg and Recrutes' latest top ten. I usually find myself agreeing with him more than I disagree - and certainly far more than I agree with most any other online scouting publication. And this year is little different, as he's also extremely high on two of my favorite prospects in Lindstrom and Connelly. He's slightly higher on Dickinson and Silayev than I am though, and Levshunov nowhere to be found js baffling to me.

• Cheers 1

Here's my current first round:

1. Macklin Celebrini C 6'1

2. Artyom Levshunov RD 6'2

3. Cole Eiserman LW 6'0

4. Trevor Connelly LW 6'2

5. Cayden Lindstrom C 6'4

6. Ivan Demidov RW 5'11

7. Zeev Buium LD 6'2

8. Berkley Catton C 5'11

9. Anton Silayev LD 6'7

10. Adam Jiricek RD 6'2

11. Konsta Helenius C 5'11

12. Cole Beaudoin C 6'2

13. Sam Dickinson RD 6'3

14. Carter Yakemchuk RD 6'2

15. Ygor Chernyshov LW 6'2

16. Aron Kiviharju LD 5'10

17. Emil Hemming RW 6'2

18. Ryder Ritchie RW 6'0

19. Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard RW 6'1

20. Zayne Parekh RD 6'0

21. Nikita Artamonov RW 5'11

22. Cole Hutson LD 5'10

23. Henry Mews RD 6'0

24. Alfons Freij LD 6'1

25. Michael Hage C 6'0

26. Tij Iginla LW 6'0

27. Sacha Boisvert C 6'2

28. Terik Parascak LW 5'11

29. Simon Zether C 6'3

30. Leo Sahlin Wallenius LD 6'0

31. Yegor Surin RW 6'1

32. Christian Humphreys C 5'11

HM: Andrew Basha, Carson Wetsch,

Lucas Pettersson, Kamil Bednarik, Maxim Masse, Sebastian Soini, Veeti Vaisaanen

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Happy New Year, here is my list of how I would have picked the Canucks first round picks for the past decade 

2014 - Nick Ritchie

2015 - not sure

2016 - Mikhail Sergachev 

2017 - Cody Glass

2018 - Quinn Hughes 

2019 - Alex Newhook

2020 - N/A

2021 - N/A

2022 - Liam Ohgren 

2023 - Tom Willander 

2024 - Ej Emery 

That said, probably for the best Im not the one picking. For this year if we are in the high 20's I would be fine taking a right shot D with size like Ej Emery.  Also doesnt hurt that he is from Surry and a Canucks fan.  

Edited by Rypien-Punch

On 1/2/2024 at 3:45 PM, MatchesMalone said:

22. Cole Hutson LD 5'10

23. Henry Mews RD 6'0

25. Michael Hage C 6'0

26. Tij Iginla LW 6'0

27. Sacha Boisvert C 6'2

29. Simon Zether C 6'3

30. Leo Sahlin Wallenius LD 6'0

Would be absolutely thrilled with any of these fellas.

We have a good pick IMO. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/23/2023 at 10:27 PM, BabychStache said:

So good! 
Are you in Medicine Hat? I got seasons this year because of how strong the Tigers are.

No I've just been watching alot of WHL games online so far this season.

The Tigers do look really good! Rare to have 2 draft eligibles (and an underage like McKenna) carrying a great team, but they look like one of the better teams in the Dub.

On 12/23/2023 at 10:25 PM, isam said:

And yet his hockey IQ let's h down just on positioning. I like Lindstrom cuz when he is on, he is great. But then he throws up a dumb play. I dunno smash

I just think his game isn't to be the puck handler, and his upside isn't an elite 1st line offensive driver, he's more of a great 'complementary' goal scorer that is big & can play mean. Still very valuable.