2024 Entry Draft

Haven't quite gotten to 32 yet, struggling to separate the next glob of guys (many I haven't seen much of), so here's my top 20;

1. Celebrini

2. Demidov

3. Catton

4. Lindstrom

5. Yakemchuk

6. Silayev

7. Dickinson

8. Helenius

9. Brandsegg-Nygard

10. Eiserman

11. Buium

12. Jiricek

13. Shuravin

14. Greentree

15. Parekh

16. Iginla

17. Basha

18. Levshunov

19. Ritchie

20. Atramonov

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Haven't quite gotten to 32 yet, struggling to separate the next glob of guys (many I haven't seen much of), so here's my top 20;

1. Celebrini

2. Demidov

3. Catton

4. Lindstrom

5. Yakemchuk

6. Silayev

7. Dickinson

8. Helenius

9. Brandsegg-Nygard

10. Eiserman

11. Buium

12. Jiricek

13. Shuravin

14. Greentree

15. Parekh

16. Iginla

17. Basha

18. Levshunov

19. Ritchie

20. Atramonov

What made you decide to rank Eiserman so low? He's leading the USNTDP team and has 10 more goals than the next highest goal scorer on that team. He came into this season as the one guy thought to be able to challenge Celebrini for 1st overall and I don't think he's done anything to hurt his draft stock (other than maybe not making the WJC team). I think he's pretty close to a lock to go top 3.

Edited by Diamonds

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

What made you decide to rank Eiserman so low? He's leading the USNTDP team and has 10 more goals than the next highest goal scorer on that team. He came into this season as the one guy thought to be able to challenge Celebrini for 1st overall and I don't think he's done anything to hurt his draft stock (other than maybe not making the WJC team). I think he's pretty close to a lock to go top 3.

Kind of a 1 trick pony. Goal scoring winger, a very good one & he'll fill the net but doesn't bring much else.

10 might be a bit low but most of the guys ahead of him are Centers & Defenseman, so maybe that's part philosophy on my part. Forwards like Demidov/Catton are more dynamic as a play drivers, Lindstrom/Helenius are potential top 6 C's, and Nygard (imo) is a complete top 6 winger; great 2 way player, great speed, great awareness at both ends, heck of a wrist shot in his own right.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eiseman falls out of the top 5 on alot of lists as the year goes along tbh. But we'll see I could be off here, no doubt he has elite goal scoring potential.

• Cheers 1

Now seems like as good a time as any to update my list of some top NTDP players and their production against DI NCAA teams. Their record in 10 games is 3-7. Bednarik will be one to keep an eye on. Seems worth noting that all 4 of Vansaghi's (2025 draft) goals came in 1 game.

Cole Eiserman 9-8-6-14  +5

Kamil Bednarik 10-4-6-10  +1

James Hagens 9-5-3-8  -3

Christian Humphreys 10-3-4-7  -2

Shane Vansaghi 10-4-2-6  -3

Austin Baker 10-2-4-6  /

Teddy Stiga 10-1-4-5  +2

Brodie Ziemer 10-1-3-4  -2

Cole Hutson 10-3-4-7  -3

Logan Hensler 10-0-6-6  /

John Whipple 10-0-4-4  +1

EJ Emery 10-0-1-1  -1

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

1. Celebrini

2. Demidov

3. Catton

4. Lindstrom

5. Yakemchuk

6. Silayev

7. Dickinson

8. Helenius

9. Brandsegg-Nygard

10. Eiserman

11. Buium

12. Jiricek

13. Shuravin

14. Greentree

15. Parekh

16. Iginla

17. Basha

18. Levshunov

19. Ritchie

20. Atramonov

I’ve not been paying attention at all outside of the ones playing close to Canucks prospects or world juniors..

im expecting us to trade our first or it’ll just be a very very late hopefully last pick of the round 🤓

least I’ve paid attention and watched a draft class in years 

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

I’ve not been paying attention at all outside of the ones playing close to Canucks prospects or world juniors..

im expecting us to trade our first or it’ll just be a very very late hopefully last pick of the round 🤓

I too expect the first this year is available for a trade. I dont feel too bad about it as I think last year they had some very interesting picks that look good.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

1. Celebrini

2. Demidov

3. Catton

4. Lindstrom

5. Yakemchuk

6. Silayev

7. Dickinson

8. Helenius

9. Brandsegg-Nygard

10. Eiserman

11. Buium

12. Jiricek

13. Shuravin

14. Greentree

15. Parekh

16. Iginla

17. Basha

18. Levshunov

19. Ritchie

20. Atramonov

19 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I'm more interested in how Artyom Levshunov fell all the way to 18th?

The kid is an 18 year old, right shot, defenceman that is 6'2 and 200 lbs. He's also currently putting up a point per game while playing on the top pair at one of the best hockey schools in the NCAA this year, and all as a freshman.

Literally every other ranking has him as at least top 10, with most having him top 5.

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

Really? Haha for me this could be the most, the last 2 years were the least funny enough.

I think the Canucks will trade their first, and I think they should.

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

The kid is an 18 year old, right shot, defenceman that is 6'2 and 200 lbs. He's also currently putting up a point per game while playing on the top pair at one of the best hockey schools in the NCAA this year, and all as a freshman.

Literally every other ranking has him as at least top 10, with most having him top 5.

In the times I've seen him I've just not been overly impressed. His defensive game can be an adventure. Gives the puck away alot, can lack urgency & awareness, and not really an offensive dynamo either (as far as creating) despite the point totals.

There's times where he looks like be could be a fine second pair defenseman with size & puck moving ability then times when he looks like Tyler Myers on a bad night. Maybe some of this is adjustment to the NCAA, but idk. Interested to see his 2nd half. Very toolsy for sure.

• Cheers 2

Central scouting released their mid-season rankings today. https://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2024

Top 20 NA:

Spoiler

1. Celebrini

2. Levshunov

3. Lindstrom

4. Buium

5. Connelly

6. Yakemchuk

7. Dickinson

8. Eiserman

9. Catton

10. Parekh

11. Iginla

12. Greentree

13. Jecho

14. Parascak

15. Sennecke

16. Ritchie

17. Boisvert

18. Basha

19. Hage

20. Letourneau

Top 20 Euro:

Spoiler

1. Helenius

2. Silayev

3. Demidov

4. Jiricek

5. Hemming

6. Brandsegg-Nygard

7. Kiviharju

8. Shuravin

9. Chernyshov

10. Pettersson

11. Sahlin Wallenius

12. Badnika

13. Muggli

14. Artamonov

15. Pulkkinen

16. Eriksson

17. Soini

18. Zetterberg

19. Vaisanen

20. Surin

Some interesting rankings, Connelly & Jecho stand out as being high to me.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Dean Letourneau is an interesting one 6'6" right handed Center committed to Boston College next year. Until now has not played at a very high level. 

Isn’t there a concerning part about drafting college kids who will (very likely) need all four years of school to develop enough to challenge for an nhl spot? Those guys can very easily wait until August of their grad year to become UFAs. As our club gets even better those guys might see better opportunities to get an nhl pay check elsewhere? 

Central scouting just released their rankings. some big surprises. https://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2024&pg=1

I guess we have no hope at these guys. Unless we're popping our 1st for em. I like these guys a lot but I don't think I'd do that.

Adam Jecho at 13 NA

Pettersson at 10 Euro

Leon Muggli at 13 Euro

Holy crap hang onto those late 2nds and 3rds. Though.

Simon Zether At 42 Euro

Miroslav Satan named his son after himself and he's huge. Petr Sikora however is not related to Petr Sykora. 

Cole Hutson at 57 NA wow

Will Skahan at 58 NA

Teddy Stiga at 72 NA

John Whipple 106 NA

Edited by Hammertime
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t there a concerning part about drafting college kids who will (very likely) need all four years of school to develop enough to challenge for an nhl spot? Those guys can very easily wait until August of their grad year to become UFAs. As our club gets even better those guys might see better opportunities to get an nhl pay check elsewhere? 

We havent had much issue with it, people generally want to play here. Plus he is a good Canadian boy so would be less worried. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We havent had much issue with it, people generally want to play here. Plus he is a good Canadian boy so would be less worried. 

Yes, we’ve been fortunate so far, but we were bad for the Benning era. Now we are really good. College kids, who need four years to develop, might see our roster as hard to crack. 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Central scouting just released their rankings. some big surprises. https://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2024&pg=1

I guess we have no hope at these guys. Unless we're popping our 1st for em. I like these guys a lot but I don't think I'd do that.

Adam Jecho at 13 NA

Pettersson at 10 Euro

Leon Muggli at 13 Euro

Simon Zether At 42 Euro

Miroslav Satan named his son after himself and he's huge. Petr Sikora however is not related to Petr Sykora. 

Cole Hutson at 57 NA wow

Will Skahan at 58 NA

Teddy Stiga at 72 NA

John Whipple 106 NA

We need more Petterssons.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If they don't want to play here so be it. You gotta "Cutter" free via trade and recoup your losses. 

• Haha 1

Jokes aside 

I think we should be scouting heavily all rounds of the draft. I think our 1st is heavily in play right now. A major hang-up being not having Pete signed. regardless of that frustrating situation. 

I think we can have our cake and eat it if they play their cards right we can be deadline buyers and draft day sellers. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yeah I've seen quite a bit of Levshunov and I'm wondering the same thing. Listening to Kassian talk about him it sounds like we're watching different players. I dunno. I have him 2nd overall.

If his defensive game is an "adventure" then we're talking Lord Of The Rings. First on his team with a +17 in 20 games despite playing every minute against opponents' top players in the Big Ten Conference.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Yeah I've seen quite a bit of Levshunov and I'm wondering the same thing. Listening to Kassian talk about him it sounds like we're watching different players. I dunno. I have him 2nd overall.

If his defensive game is an "adventure" then we're talking Lord Of The Rings. First on his team with a +17 in 20 games despite playing every minute against opponents' top players in the Big Ten Conference.

Coming into the year I had him #3, but I just haven't seen that level of impact in the game. I've watched atleast 5-7 games so far on top of any shift-to-shifts available & I just don't see the top end that others are seeing apparently, admittedly hes the most perplexing guy in this draft for me but I have been watching as much as I can.

His profile is a huge guy that can be a high-end OFD, but as far as creating/driving offense I don't seen him in the top tier of OFD in this draft. Parekh & Yakemchuk to me are more offensive drivers for their teams & make more big time plays, even Buium makes things happen himself more & that's the same level of competition. 

And then defensively I've often have seen a lack of urgency (leading to mistakes), and I think he's prone to the occasional boneheaded play in his own zone. Most of my viewings are from Oct/Nov/early Dec so maybe its just a matter of adjusting to the NCAA & he'll look better as the year goes on (I'll definitely be watching more), but for a guy rated top 5 I don't see the elite game-to-game or even shift-to-shift impact I was expecting. Offensively I see a complementary player & defensively I see an inconsistent player that is better defending the rush than in-zone, but with his tools & NHL coaching could be a valuable 2nd pair guy.

On 1/11/2024 at 7:24 PM, MatchesMalone said:

Now seems like as good a time as any to update my list of some top NTDP players and their production against DI NCAA teams. Their record in 10 games is 3-7. Bednarik will be one to keep an eye on. Seems worth noting that all 4 of Vansaghi's (2025 draft) goals came in 1 game.

Cole Eiserman 9-8-6-14  +5

Kamil Bednarik 10-4-6-10  +1

James Hagens 9-5-3-8  -3

Christian Humphreys 10-3-4-7  -2

Shane Vansaghi 10-4-2-6  -3

Austin Baker 10-2-4-6  /

Teddy Stiga 10-1-4-5  +2

Brodie Ziemer 10-1-3-4  -2

Cole Hutson 10-3-4-7  -3

Logan Hensler 10-0-6-6  /

John Whipple 10-0-4-4  +1

EJ Emery 10-0-1-1  -1

Im pretty sure Hensler is a '25 draft eligible aswell, and even now he looks like a really good TWD with top 4 potential.

Where are you at on Skahan, Emery & Whipple compared to each other? In all rankings Whipple seems to be the low man, but in my (albeit limited) viewing's I've thought his puck skills & decisions with the puck are pretty good for a DFD type, even favourable to the other 2. (tho playing with Hutson on the top pair might help him)

Emery also handles it pretty well, and he brings more physicality/size + is a RH shot. Its a more rare package but not much of an offensive game either.

Skahan seems to be the most highly rated but I think his puck handling might not be as good as the others. None of these guys have much of an offensive game but handling the puck & moving it is a pre-requisite in the NHL now & I've been less impressed with Skahan compared to the others. Tho I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

That said, I actually dig Smashin's rankings. I'm also not the biggest Eiserman fan, albeit I'd still have him in my top five. But for the most part our top 12 line up pretty closely.

Cheers. I know your a big Connelly guy, I have him 21 (debated him 20), just a matter of how he'll translate imo but the skill level is very clear. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Adam Jecho at 13 NA

Pettersson at 10 Euro

Leon Muggli at 13 Euro

Simon Zether At 42 Euro

Cole Hutson at 57 NA wow

Will Skahan at 58 NA

Teddy Stiga at 72 NA

John Whipple 106 NA

I was surprised to see Jecho so high. Big player but don't see top 6 upside at all.

Zether at 42 amongst Euro's seems ridiculous, that would be a steal for a 6'3 C with offensive talent (whos already playing SHL). I also like Pettersson, seems like a really solid all-around 3C/Bottom 6 player. 

Its going to be interesting this year, I think from late 1st into late 2nd/early 3rd you could get guys slip through the cracks. Alfons Freij is a Dman rated 23 Euro who has some size, skates really well & handles the puck well. Pretty raw (maybe like Marcus Pettersson was) but has really intriguing tools if developed properly. I like him in that area too. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Coming into the year I had him #3, but I just haven't seen that level of impact in the game. I've watched atleast 5-7 games so far on top of any shift-to-shifts available & I just don't see the top end that others are seeing apparently, admittedly hes the most perplexing guy in this draft for me but I have been watching as much as I can.

His profile is a huge guy that can be a high-end OFD, but as far as creating/driving offense I don't seen him in the top tier of OFD in this draft. Parekh & Yakemchuk to me are more offensive drivers for their teams & make more big time plays, even Buium makes things happen himself more & that's the same level of competition. 

And then defensively I've often have seen a lack of urgency (leading to mistakes), and I think he's prone to the occasional boneheaded play in his own zone. Most of my viewings are from Oct/Nov/early Dec so maybe its just a matter of adjusting to the NCAA & he'll look better as the year goes on (I'll definitely be watching more), but for a guy rated top 5 I don't see the elite game-to-game or even shift-to-shift impact I was expecting. Offensively I see a complementary player & defensively I see an inconsistent player that is better defending the rush than in-zone, but with his tools & NHL coaching could be a valuable 2nd pair guy.

Im pretty sure Hensler is a '25 draft eligible aswell, and even now he looks like a really good TWD with top 4 potential.

Where are you at on Skahan, Emery & Whipple compared to each other? In all rankings Whipple seems to be the low man, but in my (albeit limited) viewing's I've thought his puck skills & decisions with the puck are pretty good for a DFD type, even favourable to the other 2. (tho playing with Hutson on the top pair might help him)

Emery also handles it pretty well, and he brings more physicality/size + is a RH shot. Its a more rare package but not much of an offensive game either.

Skahan seems to be the most highly rated but I think his puck handling might not be as good as the others. None of these guys have much of an offensive game but handling the puck & moving it is a pre-requisite in the NHL now & I've been less impressed with Skahan compared to the others. Tho I could be wrong.

Cheers. I know your a big Connelly guy, I have him 21 (debated him 20), just a matter of how he'll translate imo but the skill level is very clear. 

Hensler is '25 yeah, as are Vansaghi and Rheaume-Mullen. I talked about it earlier in the season but I don't remember an NTDP with so many late birthdays, and where some of the top players (Hagens and Hensler in particular) are late birthdays.

I also think Mullen has way more potential than he's showing this year playing down the lineup. I think he could really put himself on the draft radar next year with Michigan.

I almost included Skahan on that list, but the results weren't flattering. I think it was 1 assist and -3 in 10 games. 

I might like Whipple better than Emery or Skahan. The latter two have a better chance to be NHLers in some capacity, but it will probably be down the lineup. Whipple actually seems to have some intriguing upside.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 2