[Waivers] October 7

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be ok with that.  Nothing would convince ownership of the need to fire this management group more than bringing those useless pylons.  Anything that helps drive Rutherford out of town is a positive move long-term.

(Again)

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

(Again)

I stand by what i said.  I won't stop making it clear that the dirtbags we have running the team aren't welcome under any circumstances.  Why would I pretend to have any respect for these parasites?  The sooner we have management willing to conduct themselves like professionals and stop disgracing the franchise, the better.  We already have 8 years of dead cap thanks to these idiots.

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I stand by what i said.  I won't stop making it clear that the dirtbags we have running the team aren't welcome under any circumstances.  Why would I pretend to have any respect for these parasites?  The sooner we have management willing to conduct themselves like professionals and stop disgracing the franchise, the better.  We already have 8 years of dead cap thanks to these idiots.

Fail Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

30 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Just saying… there’s pretty regularly 3-5 guys in the top 10 each year that don’t pan out. So to say it’s unforgivable to regularly miss on top ten picks (when you’d have to first establish whether that’s the case with our history or not) is a litttttle bit of a stretch. 

I want to be careful to not defend Benning too much here - he certainly doesn’t have a spotless record - just think the claim you’re making there might be a little on the excessive end. 

Well you have to define "pan out"... but that doesn't seem to be true.  It seems like the number show that 80-90% of top ten picks pan out to be solid NHLers or better.  There was a study from 2014 that went back and showed that, but here are recent years as well.

Just a snapshot by year:

2009 - 2/10 didn't pan out Scott Glennie (who?) at 8th, and Cowen at 9th.
The other guys: Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane, B. Schenn, OEL, Kadri, Paajarvi

2010 - 2/10 maybe didn't pan out Burmistrov 8th (348 games and 100 points but not a stellar career) and Mcilrath 10th
The other guys in that top ten: Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson, Johansen, Neiderriter, Skinner, Connelly, Mikeal Granlund

2011 - 0/10 didn't pan out.  All with over 700 games and really good players: Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Adam Larsson, Strome, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin

2012 - 3-4/10 didn't pan out.. some of these were still serviceable players just lower than their draft position.  Yakupov 1st (350 games, 136 points), Griffin Reinhart 4th, Derrick Pouliot (221 games) 8th. Koekkoek 10th
The other guys in that top ten: Ryan Murray, Galchenyuk, Reilly, Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba

2013 - 0/10 didn't pan out.  Nichushkin at 10th was the closest but 458 games and 221 points is still a solid player.  
The other guys: Mackinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Seth Jones, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, Ristolainen, Horvat

2014 - 3/10 didn't pan out Dal Colle 5th, Virtanen 6th , Haydn Fleury 7th
The other guys: Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie

2015 - 0/10 didn't pan out.  McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Hanifin, Zacha, Provorov, Werenski, Meir, Rantanen

2016 - 2-3/10 didn't pan out.  Pujujarvi 4th (334 games and 114 points), Juolevi 5th, Alex Nylander 8th
The other guys: Matthew, Laine, Dubois, M. Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, Jost

2017 - 2/10 can be said not to pan out.  Nolan Patrick 2nd, Lias Anderson 7th.  A couple of other guys are just coming into their own but appear to be actual solid NHLers
The other guys: Hischier, Heiskenen, Makar, Petterson, Glass, Mittlestadt, Rasmussen, Tippett

2018 - 1/10 didn't pan out.  Kravtsov at 9th
The other guys: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, B. Tkachuk, Hayten, Zadina, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard 

After that we are getting into territory where we can't be sure, like Podkolzin.... though he probably is falling in a redraft at this point.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I meant bringing in those players again. 
I agree on JR.  Didn’t like the hire, don’t like how he has comported himself in the press.  He is and FA guy. They have the same philosophy burn all future assets to win now. With Crosby, Malkin and Letang fine but with this team 🧠💨.

That being said I think PA has done a fine job given the constraints he has to work under.  I don’t think he is the one defining the strategy of win now at any future cost, just doing the best job he can within that structure. 

59 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well you have to define "pan out"... but that doesn't seem to be true.  It seems like the number show that 80-90% of top ten picks pan out to be solid NHLers or better.  There was a study from 2014 that went back and showed that, but here are recent years as well.

Just a snapshot by year:

2009 - 2/10 didn't pan out Scott Glennie (who?) at 8th, and Cowen at 9th.
The other guys: Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane, B. Schenn, OEL, Kadri, Paajarvi

2010 - 2/10 maybe didn't pan out Burmistrov 8th (348 games and 100 points but not a stellar career) and Mcilrath 10th
The other guys in that top ten: Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson, Johansen, Neiderriter, Skinner, Connelly, Mikeal Granlund

2011 - 0/10 didn't pan out.  All with over 700 games and really good players: Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Adam Larsson, Strome, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin

2012 - 3-4/10 didn't pan out.. some of these were still serviceable players just lower than their draft position.  Yakupov 1st (350 games, 136 points), Griffin Reinhart 4th, Derrick Pouliot (221 games) 8th. Koekkoek 10th
The other guys in that top ten: Ryan Murray, Galchenyuk, Reilly, Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba

2013 - 0/10 didn't pan out.  Nichushkin at 10th was the closest but 458 games and 221 points is still a solid player.  
The other guys: Mackinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Seth Jones, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, Ristolainen, Horvat

2014 - 3/10 didn't pan out Dal Colle 5th, Virtanen 6th , Haydn Fleury 7th
The other guys: Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie

2015 - 0/10 didn't pan out.  McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Hanifin, Zacha, Provorov, Werenski, Meir, Rantanen

2016 - 2-3/10 didn't pan out.  Pujujarvi 4th (334 games and 114 points), Juolevi 5th, Alex Nylander 8th
The other guys: Matthew, Laine, Dubois, M. Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, Jost

2017 - 2/10 can be said not to pan out.  Nolan Patrick 2nd, Lias Anderson 7th.  A couple of other guys are just coming into their own but appear to be actual solid NHLers
The other guys: Hischier, Heiskenen, Makar, Petterson, Glass, Mittlestadt, Rasmussen, Tippett

2018 - 1/10 didn't pan out.  Kravtsov at 9th
The other guys: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, B. Tkachuk, Hayten, Zadina, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard 

After that we are getting into territory where we can't be sure, like Podkolzin.... though he probably is falling in a redraft at this point.

By pan out I was working with your definition of top half of your roster/significant players. 

Id suggest there are a chunk of names on the list that you provided that don’t really meet that line. 

so 2009 I’d suggest 3-10 (Pajaarvi)

2010 I’d say you could arguable get up to 5/10 (El Nino and Connelly definitely carved out NHL careers but top half of line up I’m not so sure about). Some on here may say 6/10 and include Guddy lol. They could make some argument I guess. 

2011 - great year. I agree. 0/10

2012 - I’d actually say 6/10.  Murray and Gally don’t measure up id argue. 

2013 - 1/10 I think Drouin is pretty short of being anything close to an impact player. Another real strong year. 

2014 - 4/10. Richie doesn’t meet that standard. 

2015 -  0/10 Zacha is close but I’ll concede that one. 

2016 - 4/10. Jost absolutely falls short. 

2017 -I’d argue where this is where we start getting into to soon to tell territory. Glass might turn the corner but the fact that that’s a possibility is telling. 

my numbers would put us at 23/90. 

perhaps the data would show better way of phrasing would be that picks 3-10 are still quite volatile if we’re expecting surefire hits from those picks. 

either way, good post. I enjoyed replying and maintain that I’m not trying too hard to defend Benning’s tenure. I think the expectation for picks 3-10 should be a ‘hit’ (top half of your lineup kinda deal) about 65% of the time. (22 misses in those 63 possible picks).

Podkolzin will be the deciding factor on whether Benning was in that ballpark. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Madden/Rathbone - these were promising prospects that were obvious Brackett picks under Jim Benning. Whenever we remember Brackett, we remember the good things, but seemingly we forget about the misses. These were decent swings, but they seem to be misses as well at this point.

Guess we will find out soon if Brackett was all hype. Because I'm not seeing anything outstanding in Minny? Unless Wallstedt and Lambos are doing well?

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Did everyone clear from yesterday?

Wade Allison was interesting name as a depth guy with some real bite who would push Joshua to either be better or get replaced.

Allison for me is worth the claim. He adds what we are missing and screams “Tochett” type player…injured lots tho because he plays like a wrecking ball…I think it’s a good role of the dice with him. He reminds me of Raffi Torres a bit.

Zboril would also be a solid pick up if Soucy is out for a while. He’s a decent bottom pair LD with good shot blocking. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dizzle said:

By pan out I was working with your definition of top half of your roster/significant players. 

Id suggest there are a chunk of names on the list that you provided that don’t really meet that line. 

so 2009 I’d suggest 3-10 (Pajaarvi)

2010 I’d say you could arguable get up to 5/10 (El Nino and Connelly definitely carved out NHL careers but top half of line up I’m not so sure about). Some on here may say 6/10 and include Guddy lol. They could make some argument I guess. 

2011 - great year. I agree. 0/10

2012 - I’d actually say 6/10.  Murray and Gally don’t measure up id argue. 

2013 - 1/10 I think Drouin is pretty short of being anything close to an impact player. Another real strong year. 

2014 - 4/10. Richie doesn’t meet that standard. 

2015 -  0/10 Zacha is close but I’ll concede that one. 

2016 - 4/10. Jost absolutely falls short. 

2017 -I’d argue where this is where we start getting into to soon to tell territory. Glass might turn the corner but the fact that that’s a possibility is telling. 

my numbers would put us at 23/90. 

perhaps the data would show better way of phrasing would be that picks 3-10 are still quite volatile if we’re expecting surefire hits from those picks. 

either way, good post. I enjoyed replying and maintain that I’m not trying too hard to defend Benning’s tenure. I think the expectation for picks 3-10 should be a ‘hit’ (top half of your lineup kinda deal) about 65% of the time. (22 misses in those 63 possible picks).

Podkolzin will be the deciding factor on whether Benning was in that ballpark. 

I had said become a significant player, and most in the top half of your roster.  That was my definition.

There are absolutely too ten picks who end up as 3rd liners or role players but are significant players for a team… a guy like Raffe Torres was a good example.

4 hours ago, Viking said:

Maybe but I think we have plenty of fringe D already so unless Soucey is out long term we have passed on many other RHD so never say never but chances are low I would think...

The Sportsforecaster scouting report suggests he can play top 4, but not sure why Seattle would waive him then