[Waivers] October 7

4 hours ago, WSAcanuck said:

you do know that pretty much every top of the league team mortgages their future for playoff success right?

Bottom of the league teams like Benning had really should not do that. The combination of Benning’s drafting and pro scouting failures, disastrous trade valuations, bleeding picks, etc. along with limited team success during his tenure strongly puts him in contention for the worst GM in Canucks history. 

Great, so what do you say about a bottom feeding team like Canucks trading for Hronek? They were the ONLY bottom feeding team to give up their picks (the 2nd rounder was the Canucks, so it was a basically a bottom 1st rounder).

I'm trying to say that the Canucks haven't really learned their lessons from the past. Our depth in the AHL is still proven to be weak, as seen by our latest cuts, which pretty much involved everyone new.

Time will tell if the Hronek trade will be a disaster. I haven't seen enough yet to be thrilled with this trade.

11 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Great, so what do you say about a bottom feeding team like Canucks trading for Hronek? They were the ONLY bottom feeding team to give up their picks (the 2nd rounder was the Canucks, so it was a basically a bottom 1st rounder).

I'm trying to say that the Canucks haven't really learned their lessons from the past. Our depth in the AHL is still proven to be weak, as seen by our latest cuts, which pretty much involved everyone new.

Time will tell if the Hronek trade will be a disaster. I haven't seen enough yet to be thrilled with this trade.

Discovery Shut Up GIF by Shark Week

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

If you dont go out and find better players,you will stay forever bottom feeder.And dont talk about trade if you haven't see enough to bee thrilled.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WSAcanuck said:

Detroit passing on Hughes doesn’t make him any less of a no brainer. That was. Just a straight up mistake on their part.

The chance of Hughes busting were between nil and none. His offensive skill and skating alone pretty much assured him of an nhl career. 

Juolevi was not considered the best dman in that draft. And he absolutely was not seen by many as a top 5 quality pick. He was supposedly a low risk low reward pick who ultimately turned into a high risk no return player. 

Zadina was a projected top 5 pick while Hughes was projected between 5-8. Zadina was arguably the BPA at the time of their selection, you can’t even fault them for that. There were talks that Zadina could’ve been a justified pick at 2nd overall. 

Also a bit of historical revisionism in regards to Juolevi. Juolevi was rated as the top defenseman in the draft in several scout rankings and the general consensus was he was the “safest” defenseman of the draft which is likely the only reason why he was rated that high. At the time, it was thought that the 2016 draft was considerably weak on defenseman, especially considering Chychrun who was a projected top 3 pick heading into that year had a very poor draft season which made him fall to the teens. Sergachev was ranked just behind Juolevi as there were concerns about his IQ. McAvoy was thought to be a bit of a reach as well considering he was more or less projected near the end of the 1st round.

The reason the Juolevi pick was terrible then and now was because Juolevi was not the consensus BPA at 5. Everyone knew it was a major reach. Tkachuk, Dubois or Keller were the BPA’s at 5 with Columbus taking Dubois at 3 and Puljujarvi who was supposed to go top 3 fell right before us to the Oilers. If we were picking just a couple of spots down, then Juolevi would’ve been a respectable pick considering he was grouped along the next tier of guys alongside Jost, Nylander, McLeod , Sergachev, and Brown. If you were drafting defenseman in those ranges, either you wanted the safer bet at the time (Juolevi) or more of the higher risk higher reward guy (Sergachev) and we all know in hindsight what the better pick would’ve been.

Edited by Odd.

49 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Zadina was a projected top 5 pick while Hughes was projected between 5-8. Zadina was arguably the BPA at the time of their selection, you can’t even fault them for that. There were talks that Zadina could’ve been a justified pick at 2nd overall. 

Also a bit of historical revisionism in regards to Juolevi. Juolevi was rated as the top defenseman in the draft in several scout rankings and the general consensus was he was the “safest” defenseman of the draft which is likely the only reason why he was rated that high. At the time, it was thought that the 2016 draft was considerably weak on defenseman, especially considering Chychrun who was a projected top 3 pick heading into that year had a very poor draft season which made him fall to the teens. Sergachev was ranked just behind Juolevi as there were concerns about his IQ. McAvoy was thought to be a bit of a reach as well considering he was more or less projected near the end of the 1st round.

The reason the Juolevi pick was terrible then and now was because Juolevi was not the consensus BPA at 5. Everyone knew it was a major reach. Tkachuk, Dubois or Keller were the BPA’s at 5 with Columbus taking Dubois at 3 and Puljujarvi who was supposed to go top 3 fell right before us to the Oilers. If we were picking just a couple of spots down, then Juolevi would’ve been a respectable pick considering he was grouped along the next tier of guys alongside Jost, Nylander, McLeod , Sergachev, and Brown. If you were drafting defenseman in those ranges, either you wanted the safer bet at the time (Juolevi) or more of the higher risk higher reward guy (Sergachev) and we all know in hindsight what the better pick would’ve been.

Sergachev would look good in Canuck colors. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes, Benning was the worst. But arguing against Gillis as GM and POHO during our best results ever is a losers game. Two President's trophies. Two games to wi the Cup,. No other Canuck team had this success. Argue about trivial things like the draft, but accept reality that Gillis was the best. It’s inarguable fact. 

MG was decent, the closest we got to the cup was magic by Quinn with Linden,Bure and best goalie in playoffs McLean.That was the best GM and team ever.

MG gave that group to much ntc's and signed them to long.He left the team ruined where Quinn left it still making playoffs.

MG was a good but not great compared to Quinn.

4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

MG was decent, the closest we got to the cup was magic by Quinn with Linden,Bure and best goalie in playoffs McLean.That was the best GM and team ever.

MG gave that group to much ntc's and signed them to long.He left the team ruined where Quinn left it still making playoffs.

MG was a good but not great compared to Quinn.

The non arguable fact is Gillis was the GM during our team’s most successful era. All other discussion is opinion. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

The non arguable fact is Gillis was the GM during our team’s most successful era. All other discussion is opinion. 

True.

Quinn also hired Keenan and traded for Messier.

My number one is Quinn cause he did it all, coaching too. And the league was different and Quinn built that team from the ground up, where  Gillis inherited a lot.

MG is number 2

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes he was I agree but he did us wrong after the cup which hurt us for many more years then the good he did.

MG kept the team he got together and added a couple good players.

Then he did nothing but wrong.

16 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

I like Hronek as a player but definitely the wrong time to be making trades like that. The OEL trade, same thing. At least Hronek is youngish. But I’ve said for 10 years trading picks for quick fixes is the wrong approach and history has largely proven that opinion correct.

Cap ceiling team. Bottom of the league results. A barren prospect pool. And bleeding picks seemingly every year.

Sounds like a recipe for worst run team in the NHL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

If we are relying on the waiver wire to fix our defensive issues, we are in a big trouble. They need another impact dman. Imagine if Hughes ever gets injured. It's game over for our season.

Not 100% on that prediction.  Hopefully Hronek can fill some of the gaping hole a Hughes injury (heaven forbid!!!) would leave.  Long term would be another story though.  Don't wanna think about it. 

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

If we are relying on the waiver wire to fix our defensive issues, we are in a big trouble. They need another impact dman. Imagine if Hughes ever gets injured. It's game over for our season.

I don't think it's so much as fix our issues as at the very least reduce them. Someone like Coghlan is easily an improvement on McWard/Juulsen and would still look good on our 3rd pairing if/when we can acquire a legitimate top 4 defenseman to play with Hughes.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We’re not relying on it to fix our defensive issues just shore up depth.

With how disappointing some of our young guys looked this camp it shows you can never have too many young guys developing.

A waiver claim or not doesn’t change the need for another top 4. Id rather try and find an upgrade over the likes of Juulsen and McWard though.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

We’re not relying on it to fix our defensive issues just shore up depth.

With how disappointing some of our young guys looked this camp it shows you can never have too many young guys developing.

A waiver claim or not doesn’t change the need for another top 4. Id rather try and find an upgrade over the likes of Juulsen and McWard though.

Ya but I guess the reality is that we just don't have the assets to acquire the dman we need. 

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya but I guess the reality is that we just don't have the assets to acquire the dman we need. 

Nope but the more you have developing the more likely it is that one of them surprises and develops into that player.

A player like Tanev was signed as a college UFA and became one of the better shutdown D in the league. We need to keep looking for those “found money” players.

Edited by DeNiro

On 10/7/2023 at 11:55 PM, Lemon Face said:

If you dont go out and find better players,you will stay forever bottom feeder.And dont talk about trade if you haven't see enough to bee thrilled.

This is another way to say that I haven't been overly impressed with him so far.  Don't criticize me if you don't know what I'm talking about.