Rejig the current line-up! (A $17 Spin-off)

Baratheon

Props to @Jeremy Hronek for resurrecting one of my favourite talking points. Let’s look at it another way and use the exact same chart!

IMG_0527.jpeg.e8448a5166a94500ec17008a1916c231.jpeg

You may remove anyone on the current roster and replace their value with anyone on the list.  The maximum value that you can acquire by removing every player (Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Miller) is interestingly $17. 

What does our current roster look like once you’re done tinkering?  Can we win the cup this year with it!?

• Cheers 2

Like this?

I'm probably committing too much to my forward lines but here's a go.

Bure Pettersson Mikheyev

Boeser Ronning Kuzmenko

Suter Kesler Garland

Di Giuseppe Aman Joshua

Lumme Hronek

Cole Bieksa

Soucy Myers

Cloutier

DeSmith

I'd like to see a list, that anyone that's not listed is worth .50 cents ... As in all time but good exercise.  Kuzmenko moves up.   Nedved however is another guy, same with Peca .  .. worthy of consideration, same with of course others Biestra and I have brought up.   No Sundstrom, Tanti, Grandin, Lanz, McCarthy, Snepsts.    Once you look at the guys at one dollar ... yikes.   Can load up.  .50 cents even more so. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Props to @Jeremy Hronek for resurrecting one of my favourite talking points. Let’s look at it another way and use the exact same chart!

IMG_0527.jpeg.e8448a5166a94500ec17008a1916c231.jpeg

You may remove anyone on the current roster and replace their value with anyone on the list.  The maximum value that you can acquire by removing every player (Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Miller) is interestingly $17. 

What does our current roster look like once you’re done tinkering?  Can we win the cup this year with it!?

Great game my friend.  :-).   

My only thought is this.  What if you removed Tyler Myers and simply brought in bubble Chris Tanev?

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Beauviller

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

PDG-Suter-Garland

Hoglander-Bluegar-Joshua

Hughes-Tanev

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin-Cole

Demko

DeSmith

As uncreative as this sounds, I'd probably just run with our current team and see how they do with an added Tanev.  Don't get me wrong - I love Henrik, Bure, Linden, Daniel, Naslund, Bertuzzi, etc., but those guys had their hey-day for us and god bless em' for that.  Put prime Tanev on our current team and then build from there.  That's what I'd do!

Going a step further into fantasy however, I'd add some more leadership and grit to this team and get rid of some deadwood. Boeser's body and mind are too far gone from the game while Mikheyev is rarely healthy.  Tiger Williams, Linden, Smyl, Edler, and McLean get nods from me. 

-Linden replaces Mikheyev (4)

-Smyl replaces Boeser (1)

-Williams replaces Joshua (1)

-Tanev replaces Myers (4)

-Edler (4) replaces Wolanin

-McLean (3) replaces DeSmoth

Miller-Linden-Smyl

PDG-Suter-Garland

Williams-Bluegar-Hoglander

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Hronek

Soucy-Cole

Demko

McLean

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'd like to see a list, that anyone that's not listed is worth .50 cents ... As in all time but good exercise.  Kuzmenko moves up.   Nedved however is another guy, same with Peca .  .. worthy of consideration, same with of course others Biestra and I have brought up.   No Sundstrom, Tanti, Grandin, Lanz, McCarthy, Snepsts.    Once you look at the guys at one dollar ... yikes.   Can load up.  .50 cents even more so. 

That would leave you with an almost unrealistically stacked line-up.

Agree that it’s a fun exercise though.  I love these!

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Great game my friend.  :-).   

My only thought is this.  What if you removed Tyler Myers and simply brought in bubble Chris Tanev?

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

PDG-Suter-Garland

Hoglander-Bluegar-Joshua

Hughes-Tanev

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin-Cole

Demko

DeSmith

As uncreative as this sounds, I'd probably just run with our current team and see how they do with an added Tanev.  Don't get me wrong - I love Henrik, Bure, Linden, Daniel, Naslund, Bertuzzi, etc., but those guys had their hey-day for us and god bless em' for that.  Put prime Tanev on our current team and then build from there.  That's what I'd do!

Even one simple move makes a huge difference.  It’s fun to think about!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Even one simple move makes a huge difference.  It’s fun to think about!

For sure,  

p.s. - I created some more ad-ins for the fantasy team above.  I decided to keep our current core for the most part but added in 17 points worth of players to "round out the edges" so to speak.  

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

-Linden replaces Mikheyev (4)

-Smyl replaces Boeser (1)

-Williams replaces Joshua (1)

-Tanev replaces Myers (4)

-Edler (4) replaces Wolanin

-McLean (3) replaces DeSmoth

Miller-Linden-Smyl

PDG-Suter-Garland

Williams-Bluegar-Hoglander

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Hronek

Soucy-Cole

Demko

McLean

I think the above is a 2nd round calibre team at minimum and pretty much addresses all/most our current weaknesses in my opinion (without changing its current core players).

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

I'd go crazy with the $1 and $2 menu here.  Just replace the third and fourth lines currently on the team with top quality and roll all four lines through at least two rounds of the playoffs.

Scrub replaced with Cliff Ronning $1

Scrub replaced with Tiger Williams $1

Scrub replaced with Stan Smyl $2

Scrub replaced with Kevin Bieksa $1

Scrub replaced with Sami Salo $1

Scrub replaced with Brendan Morrison $2

Scrub replaced with Alex Burrows $1

Scrub replaced with Jyrki Lumme $2

Turned the bottom six into a top six and the bottom 3 D into a top 3 D.  Still have $6 for some kind of premium forward products or maybe Kirk McLean and Kesler or Jovo.

Even better if we do that unnamed players for $0.50 idea and then you get Thomas Gradin, Curt Fraser, Darcy Rota, Geoff Courtnall, Garth Butcher, Doug Lidster, King Richard, Kevin McCarthy, Harold Snepsts, Patrik Sundstrom, Tony Tanti, Petri Skriko, Orland Kurtenbach and Don Lever for $7 total.

It would be another $3 total for Andre Boudrias, Rick Lanz, Dave Babych, Barry Pederson, Dennis Ververgaert and Gary Smith.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 5:38 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

I'd go crazy with the $1 and $2 menu here.  Just replace the third and fourth lines currently on the team with top quality and roll all four lines through at least two rounds of the playoffs.

Scrub replaced with Cliff Ronning $1

Scrub replaced with Tiger Williams $1

Scrub replaced with Stan Smyl $2

Scrub replaced with Kevin Bieksa $1

Scrub replaced with Sami Salo $1

Scrub replaced with Brendan Morrison $2

Scrub replaced with Alex Burrows $1

Scrub replaced with Jyrki Lumme $2

Turned the bottom six into a top six and the bottom 3 D into a top 3 D.  Still have $6 for some kind of premium forward products or maybe Kirk McLean and Kesler or Jovo.

Even better if we do that unnamed players for $0.50 idea and then you get Thomas Gradin, Curt Fraser, Darcy Rota, Geoff Courtnall, Garth Butcher, Doug Lidster, King Richard, Kevin McCarthy, Harold Snepsts, Patrik Sundstrom, Tony Tanti, Petri Skriko, Orland Kurtenbach and Don Lever for $7 total.

It would be another $3 total for Andre Boudrias, Rick Lanz, Dave Babych, Barry Pederson, Dennis Ververgaert and Gary Smith.

Babych and Brown, both key players for us in 94.     Also didn't Tanti score 39-45 goals for us four years in a row?    Surely deserving of at least a one dollar spot lol.    Lumme is excellent value for 2$,  one of the best defenseman we've ever had.    Sometimes I wonder why we don't see the "Lumme" on the PK anymore, forehand or backhand, he ran the clock out with his long high slow bombs up the ice.   Would do it EV too to calm things down, slow enough to avoid icing (back then of course they still had to touch the puck, and often a goalie would be forced to come out to avoid having his D crushed on the forecheck).   

Of all the guys listed, the only ones that deserve serious consideration are EP and QHs (apologies to Deb, I also love having JT Miller on the team, he's a bit of a throwback, but let's be real, prime Bertuzzi was probably the best power forward we've ever had, and what a real power forward looks like).  

Any guys like Craven, Gelinas would be better options.   When's the last time we've had a forward that would go to the front of the net with wreckless abandon like Gelinas would?   Courtnall and Adams are both big snubs as well.    The one dollar line ... who do we have now better then Ronning, Courtnall, Adams...

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Babych and Brown, both key players for us in 94.     Also didn't Tanti score 39-45 goals for us four years in a row?    Surely deserving of at least a one dollar spot lol.    Lumme is excellent value for 2$,  one of the best defenseman we've ever had.    Sometimes I wonder why we don't see the "Lumme" on the PK anymore, forehand or backhand, he ran the clock out with his long high slow bombs up the ice.   Would do it EV too to calm things down, slow enough to avoid icing (back then of course they still had to touch the puck, and often a goalie would be forced to come out to avoid having his D crushed on the forecheck).   

Of all the guys listed, the only ones that deserve serious consideration are EP and QHs (apologies to Deb, I also love having JT Miller on the team, he's a bit of a throwback, but let's be real, prime Bertuzzi was probably the best power forward we've ever had, and what a real power forward looks like).  

Any guys like Craven, Gelinas would be better options.   When's the last time we've had a forward that would go to the front of the net with wreckless abandon like Gelinas would?   Courtnall and Adams are both big snubs as well.    The one dollar line ... who do we have now better then Ronning, Courtnall, Adams...

I think it was five years in a row for Tanti if memory serves.  The list of players who scored one more goal (40+ for five straight years) is all or almost all Hall of Famers.

Yeah I was pumped when we acquired Murray Craven.  I had really liked his work with the 80s Flyers.  He didn't stay a Canuck that long but he contributed while he was here.  Maybe my favorite "one season-ish Canuck" we ever had.  Those Flyers teams went to the finals three times built just like the 1982 Canucks.  No 100 point players...but more than two full lines of 60-90 point players and Craven was one of those guys.  The teams were actually quite similar.  The 1982 Canucks and every version of the 1980s Flyers that went all the way.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1