(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

The way I see it, just because you need the most improvement somewhere, it doesn't mean you deny improving everywhere else when opportunities arise. It would be counter-productive at that point as by the time you address one area, another area is probably dwindling more than it needed to be.

I don't know this player very well except that leafs paid more than a 5th rounder to acquire him. I'm just curious if he is that much of an improvement over someone like Studnicka. If he's an agitator then maybe that does address one of our needs - more tough to play against.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Lol ... ooooh, look at you getting fired up about stupid shit. 

Says the dude commiting his morning to acting like the old men in the muppets while the rest of us actually talk hockey.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Wing said:

I don't know this player very well except that leafs paid more than a 5th rounder to acquire him. I'm just curious if he is that much of an improvement over someone like Studnicka. If he's an agitator then maybe that does address one of our needs - more tough to play against.  

From what I've seen, yes. He is definately an improvement over Studnicka. Even if you just looked at points alone, the guy at least has the ability of 30 points in a healthy 82 game season.

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Already addressed this in depth... but Gustav Forsling comes to mind...on our team defense... Carson Soucy? Want to think local? Jamie Benn? Oh, a forward on our team? Connor Garland?

Outliers, not the norm. And that spans like 10+ years of drafts. So even inclufing myself adding Hellebuyck to the discussion that’s 5 players out of 384 possible ones over 12 years that we could readily name. Or 0.13 percent. 

And of those 5 players we have 1 elite forward, one elite goalie, one middle six winger and two dmen. 

It’s just so bizarre to me that people whine this much over a pick that rarely gets a legit NHL player that we could acquire at anytime with about a dozen or so players in the system. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

This thread vs anyone that isn’t sold on this trade:

Royal Rumble Wrestling GIF by WWE

This is fine tbh, the entertainment value of CDC/CFF has always been more important than the content, I can find the same hockey content and opinions on R/Hockey, R/Canucks or any other number of places 

That's my approach to social media in general, whether you realize it or not you exist to entertain

Embrace shitposting

• Cheers 2

Haven't really watched Lafferty play, so I'll wait and see how he does after 20 or so games with his new team. I'm not expecting much, but maybe there's another trade in the works. Or, Lafferty just gives the Canucks better C depth:

Pettersson

Miller

Blueger

Suter

Lafferty

Aman

Raty

Sasson

Funny that Lafferty was drafted by JR in 2014 (PIT) 

Hoping there's another trade

• Vintage 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Yes, because we shouldn't have opinions to argue about and all sing koombaya instead?

I get what you're saying, but I think you're forgetting what a discussion board is in the 1st place.

Not forgetting at all. And that's not what I said whatsoever. Do your thing. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Outliers, not the norm. And that spans like 10+ years of drafts. So even inclufing myself adding Hellebuyck to the discussion that’s 5 players out of 384 possible ones over 12 years that we could readily name. Or 0.13 percent. 

And of those 5 players we have 1 elite forward, one elite goalie, one middle six winger and two dmen. 

It’s just so bizarre to me that people whine this much over a pick that rarely gets a legit NHL player that we could acquire at anytime with about a dozen or so players in the system. 

That's fine. I was simply answer the questions posed. Also said that I addressed the reason why people take draft picks seriously earlier in this thread. If you didn't bother reading those posts that's on you.

We cleared out two roster spots up front. We traded for Lafferty and now have room for Mikheyev. With Mikheyev we have 13 forwards. If he isn't ready to go we have 12. 

Strudnicka deserves credit for getting himself ready for camp but as a bottom 6, more likely bottom 3, he did not bring what we needed. He has zero toughness and does not forecheck the way we want. Can he reinvent his game? Maybe, which is why if he clears waivers he will get every opportunity in Abbotsford to do so. 

Aman has showed he can play on the 4th line the way we went but was waiver exempt so I saw him being sent down from the start of camp. A numbers, cap game.

Blueger was hurt last game and we don't know if he will start opening day. They may just be shutting him down until Wednesday. But if he can't go we have a reliable 4th line centre to take his spot. After the season starts, if Mikheyev and Blueger can't go, we can recall Aman or Podkolzin.

Our playoff aspirations did not depend upon either of those two. with Lafferty we get a right handed shot that plays all three forward positions. He is a tenacious forechecker, that is he plays the way Tocchet wants. He kills penalties and he will drop them if need be. He us usually good for about 20 points a season. He alone will not meet our playoff aspirations but he is an upgrade to the bottom 6, more specifically the bottom 3. This trade is not a big deal. We trade a 5th round pick of a player who is better suited to what Tocchet wants. That's it, that's all. 

I am more concerned about the D. Soucy is week to week but we all know that could change once he has his MRI. Brisbois we don't know if he will be ready to start the season. I am surprised they waived Wolanin and called up Hirose. Hirose's cap is higher than Wolanin's so it may simply be that they want to get closer to the cap to take advantage of the Poolman LTIR. 

None of this means in any way that the Canucks don't know they still need to upgrade the right some on D. It also doesn't say that are not trying to do so. Getting a top 4 on R D is a high costs. Canucks fans exploded when we traded for Hronek. Are we prepared to give up another first at this point? 

Yes I think the Canucks are still trying to move a big contract. Maybe Myers although they would be foolish to do so without an upgrade in place at this point. He and Cole actually looked very good together. I think they want to move one of Boeser, Beau or Garland. 

Right now it looks more like they traded to upgrade the bottom 3 while playing cap gymnastics to get compliant and to be able to take full advantage of Poolman's LTIR. This is not a train wreck. This is not throwing picks away. This is tinkering to better the team, even if just small incremental increases. They add up. And now we have  more capable centre depth int he bottom of the lineup. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Again though, it depends on the picks and what we are getting for those picks. You seem more focused on the pick and prospect pool than the trade itself and the big picture.

While I agree to an extent that we could use volume I don't care about a 5th round pick if it means upgrading the team. There is diminishing returns with volume as well, because we only have so many signing slots. Get that volume with the higher round picks.

Not to mention, all I've heard from you about Lafferty is he "doesn't thread the needle"... whatever that's supposed to mean. Perhaps you can give an example of someone you would trade a 5th round pick for that "threads the needle" and how Lafferty doesn't have that? Or are you just not for trading picks at all?

If you have truly watched his game, I want to know why you don't think he "threads the needle". If you can't, then I'm assuming you haven't actually watched his game and you're just outright lying about it.

Yep. “depth picks usually don’t work out, that’s why you should acquire lots of them” easily works as an argument for OR against the stockpile of picks.  You could never land enough depth picks to make it likely to hit the gems. 

Rebuilding teams make sense going this route, but teams in a competitive phase can’t be shy about acquiring a known quantity for a long shot.  The idea of a small chance to land a serviceable player 3-4 years from now can’t be the guiding star of a team trying to compete.  You’re also correct that it’s 1sts and 2nds (and even 2nds are dubious) that are the real prize.

(Whether people think the club should be in a rebuilding phase is the most tired discussion in the fandom and completely irrelevant because they simply aren’t.)

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Not forgetting at all. And that's not what I said whatsoever. Do your thing. 

Fair enough. I was more having to battle with someone earlier who was clearly lying about a couple of things and not really willing to listen to anyone. That's why it got a little heated to be fair. lol

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Says the dude commiting his morning to acting like the old men in the muppets while the rest of us actually talk hockey.

This is 90% of CFF though. You can count me an old man muppet. I've been called worse. Love these guys. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Yep. “depth picks usually don’t work out, that’s why you should acquire lots of them” easily works as an argument for OR against the stockpile of picks.  You could never land enough depth picks to make it likely to hit the gems. 

Rebuilding teams make sense going this route, but teams in a competitive phase can’t be shy about acquiring a known quantity for a long shot.  The idea of a small chance to land a serviceable player 3-4 years from now can’t be the guiding star of a team trying to compete.  You’re also correct that it’s 1sts and 2nds (and even 2nds are dubious) that are the real prize.

(Whether people think the club should be in a rebuilding phase is the most tired discussion in the fandom and completely irrelevant because they simply aren’t.)

Definately you're correct on this. I didn't even think about the "odds" part of it all and math. Mathematically, more picks do not mean better odds, it just means more chances with the same odds.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Not complaining at all. It’s entertaining. 

Whoops, maybe I phrased it wrong, I'm not implying you were complaining 

People just need to chill a bit and embrace screwing around a bit more, the discourse is the entertainment 

• Cheers 3

Just now, The Lock said:

Fair enough. I was more having to battle with someone earlier who was clearly lying about a couple of things and not really willing to listen to anyone. That's why it got a little heated to be fair. lol

No problem, brother. Your discussion was insightful.

I really enjoy observing human behavior. Being a spectator sometimes makes you see the absurdity of it all. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Pardon me? Connor Garland costs us a 9th overall pick. Carson Soucy was a big part of us rebuilding out D. Forsling was a legit top 4 man on a team that went to the finals....

if your question was what 5th round pick went on to become stars you should have said so. Sergi Zubov? Alexander Mogilny? Krill Kaprizov? 

In fairness Mogilny was only a fifth round pick because it was uncertain he’d even be able to come over.  He had to defect from the Soviet Union after the world championships by flying to Stockholm before coming to North America. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Whoops, maybe I phrased it wrong, I'm not implying you were complaining 

People just need to chill a bit and embrace screwing around a bit more, the discourse is the entertainment 

My sausage fingers accidentally hit send halfway through my post. Edited. 

• Cheers 2