(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well good thing we don’t need him for his point totals. 😂

From all accounts he’s a good forechecker, hard worker, and can kill penalties. That makes him an upgrade over Studnicka. How much of an upgrade remains to be seen but he’s an upgrade nonetheless.

Its great to see management still looking to upgrade the roster at this stage even if it’s minor upgrades.

Studnicka is better offensively and younger, while good defensively. His defensive stats aren't great aside from the PK. 

Dunno why the team just didn't target Motte again. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting ... Lafferty plays hard, has pushback, isn't afraid to drop the gloves.

Same with the addition of Hronek.

Look at promoted players like PDG, his effort, along with Blueger, the addition of Cole, and we are changing the culture. 

We're getting guys with higher, better levels of compete. 

That’s a counter-argument to “we’ve traded way too many picks.”  In that, it’s not just a random move for a pick.  Management is building.

Lafferty on his own isn’t much, but you add him to Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Hronek, Cole, Soucy, Suter and Bleuger… all those guys are bringing an upgrade to at least one of size, skill, speed, two-way / defensive play.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That makes him an upgrade over Studnicka.

I've really tried to cheer for Studnicka, but it's tough. He's just there, that's it. If he clears waivers some more time in the minors will help him become a full time NHLer. 

• Cheers 2

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Höglander

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Suter - Mikheyev

Lafferty - Blueger - Joshua

I think I really like that forward group at full health guys. Best it's looked in years. I think Garland is moved in a package for a RD, as he's clearly the odd man out. 

Edited by Pears

As for the 3rd line, I’m not sure it’s Beauvillier-Suter-Garland. 

I think it’s pretty easy to roll a bigger body onto that line for Beauvillier.  Whether he plays up (with Petey and it’s Mikheyev on the 3rd) or down (and they push up Joshua.)

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I've really tried to cheer for Studnicka, but it's tough. He's just there, that's it. If he clears waivers some more time in the minors will help him become a full time NHLer. 

The problem is that we’ve had such poor bottom 6 players over the years that the standard has been set really low.

Fans seem to be happy if a player just works hard even if he’s accomplishing nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Studnicka is better offensively and younger, while good defensively. His defensive stats aren't great aside from the PK. 

Dunno why the team just didn't target Motte again. 

In what world is Studnicka better offensively? Lafferty had more points last year than Studnickaa has his whole career so far. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

That’s a counter-argument to “we’ve traded way too many picks.”  In that, it’s not just a random move for a pick.  Management is building.

Lafferty on his own isn’t much, but you add him to Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Hronek, Cole, Soucy, Suter and Bleuger… all those guys are bringing an upgrade to at least one of size, skill, speed, two-way / defensive play.

Well, that's the thing, it addresses the needs within "what is" not what should be or should have done.

Especially your point by about adding Lafferty's strengths to the collective change. It's building incrementally. You can see exactly what management is trying to do in addressing real needs. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The last decade of Canucks hockey has been ripe the mismanagement, under  achievement, and sorely lacking in prospects given our position for this long. I think the general fan base has every right to skeptical when we see more assets being moved for players in positions it feels like our team has enough of. 

Personally I thought Studnicka showed petty well. Particular after we traded a 5th round draft pick for him last year. Now we are trading another 5th round draft pick for his replacement this year. 

It's not necessarily about the player, it's about the principal.

You’re upset about a 5th round pick for a solid upgrade on studnicka? Because you thought he showed enough over a guy you’ve MAYBE checked out  on a few websites? I’ll see how you feel about this after you see him play. 

Just now, Hogs and Podz said:

Hurt to often... Plays bigger thsn his size.... Which is why he was and still is a fan favorite but has a lot of mileage on his body and not getting any younger.

Not to mention a player has to want to play here. Doubt he would want to come crawling back after rejecting the teams offer.

I would say he did well waiting to join a contender.

• Cheers 2

For anyone upset about losing Studnicka there’s a good chance he clears waivers.

He could use some time in the minors to work on his penalty killing and offensive game. He’s still only 24 let’s not forget. I’m sure we’ll see him back at some point.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, dannydog said:

You’re upset about a 5th round pick for a solid upgrade on studnicka? Because you thought he showed enough over a guy you’ve MAYBE checked out  on a few websites? I’ll see how you feel about this after you see him play. 

I'm upset, am I? When have I said that? Also, what makes you assume I'm not familiar with the player? Making a lot of assumptions and taking a lot of leaps there, danny.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For anyone upset about losing Studnicka there’s a good chance he clears waivers.

He could use some time in the minors to work on his penalty killing and offensive game. He’s still only 24 let’s not forget. I’m sure we’ll see him back at some point.

isn't it a good move tho to replace him with a RHC, given our lack of one? SM has decent faceoff numbers and it appears we didn't lose any PK ability. 

• Cheers 1