(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

EP is entering his 6th season with this club and played in 325 regular season games thus far.

He’s played in approximately 17 playoff games in 6 years…and that was over 4 seasons ago.

No offense, but he’s a highly competitive player and that combined with what I mention above makes me think you have the wrong impression of what he might want.

I said that I think he'd prefer to be on a cup contender instead of a first round exit team, but you think that's the wrong impression?

27 minutes ago, Tusk said:

What makes you think he is a 4th liner? He has more goals/assists and points in the NHL than PDG. 

Sometimes a 4th liner on Toronto or Pittsburgh is just a guy that never got a chance to show what he can do. I bet Tocc knows what this guy can do.

He has less assists and one more goal in twenty less games played. Their production is about the same, and the only reason Di Giuseppe is on a line other than our 4th is because he works hard. On a better team he wouldn't be there.

He's had chances with better players at times but had generally been relegated down the lineup as players get healthy again. He's definitely bottom six for us even if he might spot fill during injuries. Just like PDG, he'll work hard but it's unlikely he's anything more than a slightly better than waiver wire extras for a good team.

I realize there are mixed feelings about bringing Sam on. Not to mention it means an even tighter Cap situation. I think he brings an element the Canucks

woefully need. A true enforcer. You really don't mind if he zeros other team's star players and takes them off for 5-min, along with himself. 

Pretty sure Tocchet wants this scenario.........

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

We paid a 5th for a bottom of the lineup player. That's a fine move to make when you're a contender, but not a wise move for a non-playoff team (to repeatedly make).

Sometimes to be a playoff team you have to make moves like this. He is an upgrade for the bottom line and has a lot of versatility in playing all three forward positions and on the PK. NHL depth. He alone will not make us a playoff team but he is an upgrade to help solidify the other offseason moves we made. Aman will be back. If Strudnicka clears he will get a chance to continue to become that type of bottom 6 he will need to become to carve out an NHL career. this is a no loss trade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

It wouldn't be CFF without 25 pages on a 4th liner. This isn't a deal that moves the needle much, but probably more than most of the prospects we can get in the 5th round. We've definitely had some players not quite impress so far so I don't mind the low risk gamble.

In the end, this doesn't make or break our contender status, so let's just see how it goes.

It is one more Canuck who is not soft, nor fun to play against.

• Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

As I've said all along, that's not a good strategy to build a champion. While I don't expect them to change course now, I just hope they don't throw away too many assets in their short-sighted pursuit of making us a first round exit.

Every time we throw assets away, it's yet another cut.

I thought you were happy since we’re a contender now but you seem to be miserable? 
Are you not good with us finally winning a lot more than we lose?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

"We should strive to become a club where players have to play up and evolve their game in strides to make the big club and truly take advantage of any opportunity to cement themselves as a viable option when they get there."

Amen Rev Dubya Jay-Zee, Amen. 

JR and PA & Co are Trippin' on the Dao.

• Haha 1

I'm actually a fan of this trade. Definitely a Tocchet style player. A right handed shot big body that plays an in your face physical game at all 3 forward positions. He was a beast in the panthers/leafs series last season. I'm hoping he can influence Joshua to step up his physical intensity as well.

While it's never ideal to trade away draft picks this is the same draft that we acquired a 4th from trading away Lazar. In theory we traded Lazar and a 5th for Lafferty and a 4th. Not too shabby.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1