(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we have to wait for Podz to develop into that. 

again, need to wait. Myers is done this year so thats 6 mil to upgrade with.  

You really think Podz is a big physical forward? I haven't seen anything that suggests he's a bruiser and scares other dmen. Far from it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You really think Podz is a big physical forward? I haven't seen anything that suggests he's a bruiser and scares other dmen. Far from it.

I agree, he has the tools, but as a player who was once touted as a top 5 or even 3rd OA pick leading up to his draft, he still hasn't shown much, - next to nothing if we're really being honest here....I think he is a nice young lad, that by all accounts is eager and anxious to please, (coachable) and without a mean bone in his body, and that makes him very likeable from a fan perspective, but I don't see him ever living up to his potential. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I think he has the tools to be. Maybe not bringing fear every shift but certainly tough on the forecheck with Miller e.g.

Well I guess I am talking about a player who plays an aggressive in your face style type of power forward. But of course we haven't had that since Bertuzzi.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

7th on the on the forwards in his his rookie year, and 8th the year after despite playing under 40 games. He does play a physical game the way he leans on players, and uses his size. He also just doesn't chase hits because of his lack of confidence and unwillingness to make mistakes. It's pretty evident if you watch Podkolzin play he has the tools and mentality to play a physical game, he just lacks the confidence to be overly assertive right now in the NHL.

At the AHL level where he feels more comfortable he is often the most phaycial player on the ice, but I can't find any AHL advanced stats that record hits, that's eye test.

His scouting report also paints the same picture. "He can bulldoze through a defenseman on his way to the net"

"A force to be reckoned with each time he is on the ice"

"Very strong on the puck.. plays the hard way.. fierce but disciplined."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Is it though?  Odds of getting ONE NHLer, 4-7th rounds combined, who will play 100 games is 12.5%.   Another way to look at it, is one every 8 plus a bit drafts.   It's also the exact same odds of a 3rd rounder doing the same (12.5%).   It gets a lot more serious if it's a second or first rounder.   There is a reason picks 4-7 are thrown around like monopoly money.    We can't even trade Rathbone.   Guys clear waivers.   Some are worthy of a trade some aren't.    It's also a cap thing.   If the plug fits ... without checking pretty sure Adam Gaudette was the last 5th rounder we've had work out.    Well surpassed the 100 game mark, and bet there are folks on here that lament we didn't pick someone else ... or is he leading the pack for 5th rounders his draft class? 

Edit:  Lol Ethan Bear and Garland were the big hits that draft year...2015 in the 5th round.   So I suppose there was a 2/32 chance we wasted a pick on an ELC for either of them?   Troy Terry too...Actually not too bad that year at all.   4/32 with Gaudette ... plus star forward Kirril Kaprisov 5/32... So bad example lol.   Wouldn't worry too much, if things go south we will be sellers at the TDL.   Suter, Bluegar, Cole easy 3 4-7th rounders, maybe even a 3rd in Cole, with 3 retention spots we've got 3 trades including maybe Myers and Beau.     Allvin is covering his bases.    The goal is playoffs.   This code needs reps. 

It makes sense to trade them sometimes. In this case I'am happy with it but I get the posters general concern. Just once I'd like to see us actually collect and use our picks wisely when the situation calls for it instead of chasing and wasting assets. Now is not that time though.

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think he has the tools to be. Maybe not bringing fear every shift but certainly tough on the forecheck with Miller e.g.

And therein lies the rub, that is really all he has brought so far, and there are oodles of guys in the show that do that, even Studnicka did, and he is waiver fodder.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Our team is still too soft. I thought they would have tried to fix that this off-season. 

They did try. Cole was top 5 on his team in hits, Soucy was top 4, Irwin was top 6. Litterally every defensemen that brought in had being physical as one of their primary attributes.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

They did try. Cole was top 5 on his team in hits, Soucy was top 4, Irwin was top 6. Litterally every defensemen that brought in had being physical as one of their primary attributes.

Ok but Irwin isn't on this team. Soucy really isn't a physical force. He's like Myers. Big but not intimidating. Cole is old. There in lies the problem. They didn't acquire impact players who can do that who are young enough to get minutes.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ok but Irwin isn't on this team. Soucy really isn't a physical force. He's like Myers. Big but not intimidating. Cole is old. There in lies the problem. They didn't acquire impact players who can do that who are young enough to get minutes.

Not every player you bring in is an impact players. In fact, how many teams in the NHL teams actually have an "impact player" who's main attribute is being an intimidating physical force? For forwards (since you "yeah but'd" every defensemen) 5, 6? Tkachuk brothers, Kreider, Kane, Wilson, maybe Bertuzzi if you consider him impact?

Also, where are we acquiring these impact phaycial players? With our overflowing riches of prospects and draft picks or are disposable extra cap space?... wait... 

Every team wants these players, we don't have the resources to acquire them, hence why we spent huge amounts of resources acquiring players like Miller and drafting Podkolzin. They did try to increase team toughness this offseason. Wether or not you think they succeeded is beside the point.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They acquired mostly short term remedies. Yes. With the cap crunch and stupid contracts the management is absolutely handcuffed. Kind of impressed with what they've done to be honest and I suspect an improvement in physicality and team D. I'm with you, I want more and you can bet the farm the coaching staff more as well, just too many crap contacts for this to happen right now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Not every player you bring in is an impact players. In fact, how many teams in the NHL teams actually have an "impact player" who's main attribute is being an intimidating physical force? For forwards (since you "yeah but'd" every defensemen) 5, 6? Tkachuk brothers, Kreider, Kane, Wilson, maybe Bertuzzi if you consider him impact?

Also, where are we acquiring these impact phaycial players? With our overflowing riches of prospects and draft picks or are disposable extra cap space?... wait... 

Every team wants these players, we don't have the resources to acquire them, hence why we spent huge amounts of resources acquiring players like Miller and drafting Podkolzin. They did try to increase team toughness this offseason. Wether or not you think they succeeded is beside the point.

Ok.its just your opinion as well. They didn't bring anyone impactful this off-season is my point. That's just the truth.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ok.its just your opinion as well. They didn't bring anyone impactful this off-season is my point. That's just the truth.

Cool, call up Alvin and tell him we need more impact players, maybe they hadn't thought of that yet? Man I wish I lived in a fairytale world where you could just bring in impact players all willynilly like you do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

They acquired mostly short term remedies. Yes. With the cap crunch and stupid contracts the management is absolutely handcuffed. Kind of impressed with what they've done to be honest and I suspect an improvement in physicality and team D. I'm with you, I want more and you can bet the farm the coaching staff more as well, just too many crap contacts for this to happen right now. 

Yeah, next year we will have lots of money to go shopping for these luxury items. 

PK was so bad that it overshadowed everything else in terms of needs and I was pleasantly surprised with how much they were able to do especially considering that we didn't mortgage the future with any long term deals. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It is fairly impressive what they were able to do in spackling the holes in the roster without being able to move out any significant contracts other than Pearson. 
Still sad that we needed to fill half our D and both bottom six centre positions through UFA scraps but that is an annual tradition for the Canuck’s. 
Management has done a nice job at adding but struggled to subtract though that has more to do with Benning than Alvin. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I hope they stick Podz and Raty together for the whole season. That could be a great pair to come in late or next year. Put Suter on their wing and that is potentially solid nasty third line. 

Raty and Bains should be the pair, they're great together 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think you need to work on your understanding of things that are objective and subjective….

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Allvin said they want to clear one or two more contracts, so they can do what they really want to do.

• Upvote 2