(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Bear on a 2x2 years deal would be fine, or maybe 2.25x3 years something like that. Any more would be overpayment imo. 

The way McWard played in the preseason I just think signing Bear would be a big mistake.

We need to move forward and not stay the same.

Bear was decent but not good.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Bear on a 2x2 years deal would be fine, or maybe 2.25x3 years something like that. Any more would be overpayment imo. 

Yuck, anything more than a 1 year deal at minimum is too much for me. We don't' even know if he'll be recovered yet. A multi year deal would be absolutely horrible. We need to save money for more permanent options moving forward, not to mention the OEL penalty.

3 years 🤢 that's just gross.

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

The way McWard played in the preseason I just think signing Bear would be a big mistake.

Massive mistake unless he's healthy and we still have need of a RD at that point in time. I can't fathom why people keep forcing him into the team at this point in time when we don't even know if he'll be able to hold a hockey stick ... and we're talking 3 months into the season. We need to have our line-up figured out by then we can't just magically wait for him.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

hence the pricing. He's OK at the right price. 

Its such a hard position to fill, we need a placeholder until Willander is ready. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Yuck, anything more than a 1 year deal at minimum is too much for me. We don't' even know if he'll be recovered yet. A multi year deal would be absolutely horrible. We need to save money for more permanent options moving forward, not to mention the OEL penalty.

assuming he's fully healthy of course. 

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think it's sad that no young forwards could crack this roster. Philippe DiGuiseppe is making the roster after being a journeyman his entire career and is on the second line. Ouch! Tells you how pathetic our player development has been.

Hoglander did make the team, PDG just had an excellent pre-season & deserves a top 6 opportunity more. Credit where it's due.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

hence the pricing. He's OK at the right price. 

Its such a hard position to fill, we need a placeholder until Willander is ready. 

So three to four years?

Think by next year one of 

McWard, Johansson or Woo should make the team if not sooner.

That leaves one spot and an ufa should get us there with the cap room we will have.

A trade could help also for a couple years.

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Massive mistake unless he's healthy and we still have need of a RD at that point in time. I can't fathom why people keep forcing him into the team at this point in time when we don't even know if he'll be able to hold a hockey stick ... and we're talking 3 months into the season. We need to have our line-up figured out by then we can't just magically wait for him.

I agree he is gone let it be.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

assuming he's fully healthy of course. 

Sure but let's make that decision when the time is right, not now. We need to play 3 months of hockey first. That's far more important than Bear. Lots of things will happen between now and then. He should be a backburner option for one year if we're desperate. Nothing more at this point. Why cripple the team with an unknown to a multi year deal?

Even if he's healthy I don't want him taking up cap space for three more years. We're just in the final stages of getting rid of bad contracts now people want to sign another one.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

More or less. The distinction between what you can prove through compiling data and what you feel to be true through experience. In this case, when the majority of players a team signs in the offseason have a primary characteristic of being tough to play against, it's a completely reasonable assumption that was the intended task. If your opinion those players aren't hard to play against, that's a subjective opinion vs looking at their hit totals and seeing they were all in the top percentile if their team, which is objective. 

Research is kinda fun... 

Ergo, so are prickly bitches?

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sure but let's make that decision when the time is right, not now. We need to play 3 months of hockey first. That's far more important than Bear. Lots of things will happen between now and then. He should be a backburner option for one year if we're desperate. Nothing more at this point.

that works too. I'm not hot to sign him, just don't see him as horrid. He's OK imo. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

So three to four years?

Think by next year one of 

McWard, Johansson or Woo should make the team if not sooner.

That leaves one spot and an ufa should get us there with the cap room we will have.

A trade could help also for a couple years.

yeah but there's a lot of if's and but's in there. You never know who will make it out of the prospect pool. If Woo suddenly hits gold, great, then trade Bear if he's at a decent cap hit. 

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I can understand the skeptical view given what we've seen for 8 years.

Imo this small move is at least consistent with the current strategy and it didn't hamstring the future like many of bennings moves.

If we actually end up with a solid pk out of this it will be worth it.

Over 50% FO, good on the pk, can hit and fight, and can pop 10+ goals and on pace for 30pts...

This swap for Studs seems so easy to love.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

yeah but there's a lot of if's and but's in there. You never know who will make it out of the prospect pool. If Woo suddenly hits gold, great, then trade Bear if he's at a decent cap hit. 

Way I see it Bear is not a Canuck and we have another option without spending cap space.If we use McWard he suffers then you sign Bear.

Bear should only be an option if there is no other and we have other options.

I personally think Bear is done here and should be.

We tried him and didn't work out , time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Way I see it Bear is not a Canuck and we have another option without spending cap space.If we use McWard he suffers then you sign Bear.

Bear should only be an option if there is no other and we have other options.

I personally think Bear is done here and should be.

We tried him and didn't work out , time to move on.

Plus, he won't be ready to go and in form until Feb/Mar. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Brock never plays a full season.Hasn't been the player we thought.Over paid by a lot .

On TBL he might just get the 30 goals.

We get another RHD vet that hits and is big.

To we if we could work a trade like that work we would be better.

Bruh

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I sure hope so. We can do better than Bear.

Well also if he wants to jump in with a team mid season after a major surgery he’s gonna have to take less.

No way I’m offering him anything more than 1.5 mil for this season. If he wants 2-3 mil forget it. Too much of a risk he will be a step behind all season.

If he has a solid 2nd half you can revisit an extension next offseason.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Bruh

Guess you are a Brock guy then eh.

Me we have the guy years of mediocre play and every year he says he'll do better LOL.

His days are numbered.

Last year his agent had half a year to find a trade , guess what nobody wants him.

With the cap going up next year he should be able to be traded and that's when it happens.