(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

22 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Don't have to back that up.Look at track records.

Why didn't management resign Bear last year!That alone says it all.

dhud sometimes its not about the records cause I couldnt find shit all on soucy.

They didnt re-sign him because he was still Injured. Duh. I mean after the season starts we might have cap to get him.

Sometimes its about how the team gells and is better when a player is playing and Bear was good. Soucy Bad. So I think you are in love with Soucy.s mom

Edited by Tusk

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

dhud sometimes its not about the records cause I couldnt find shit all on soucy.

Sometimes its about how the team gells and is better when a player is playing and Bear was good. Soucy Bad. So I think you are in love with Soucy.s mom

I think you have issues as I am very happily married.

Most games I remember us playing against Soucy is he hits hard and makes wingers frustrated.Plus he has a decent shot.

All those things Bear just was not very good at.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I think you have issues as I am very happily married.

Most games I remember us playing against Soucy is he hits hard and makes wingers frustrated.Plus he has a decent shot.

All those things Bear just was not very good at.

well even with the likes of Martin and the other guy we forgot about (dekua?)he never scored against us. Soucy was a barely in the 3rd pair for Seattle and we geve him a top 4 contract

I dont think any of our top 2 lines were in on this conversation that he was tough to play against.

2 hours ago, Tusk said:

well even with the likes of Martin and the other guy we forgot about (dekua?)he never scored against us. Soucy was a barely in the 3rd pair for Seattle and we geve him a top 4 contract

I dont think any of our top 2 lines were in on this conversation that he was tough to play against.

3.5M is a decent contract, I think, even for a guy who plays 3rd pairing minutes, that could possibly move up to play in the top 4. 

Would have been better if Soucy could have been signed for at 2.5M, but it is what it is. 

19 hours ago, IBatch said:

Think the coaches were trying to see how well things would work with QHs and McWard because he's that good. 

We can't afford an injury as things are right now.    Not a big one anyways.   Lumme managed fine with Glynn when Murzyn went down ... think that's the reasoning behind trying guys out in practice and McWard with QHs this pre-season.   Is he good enough to carry a top pairing mostly on his own?    Not sure how things will go, but it's sure better then when Edler or Tanev went down,  and Stecher or Del Zotto or Hutton or whomever had to step up too.  Baby steps.   Adding Myers and Miller was enough Sedin post one.     Hopefully the bandaids, Soucy and Hronek will be enough this year. 

That's been one of my biggest pet peeves with this team since the post 2020 bubble off-season.  Instead of saying, "lets put a solid d-man beside Hughes and make this pairing our version of Keith-Seabrook," the Canucks seem more content to be putting plugs beside Hughes since Hughes is good enough to carry them (which would then allow is to artificially create the appearance of having depth on the back-end).   

I like Soucy and Cole but they shouldn't be playing with Hughes.  Neither should McWard.  And the scary thing is that this is under full health to our D!  One injury to any of our current Top 4 d-men and the Canucks will literally have a #5 calibre or below d-man playing with Hughes or Hronek.  :puke:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Sam Lafferty has a great name. That's gotta count for something!  All kidding aside, he's going to add that grit and the ability to kick some but!

The Canucks have been woefully missing that element for a long time. Thinking Rick Tocchet  may have had a we bit of input to this signing.

I'm sure / I hope, Sam will be able to open up some space for our mighty snipers. 

Yes it would be hard to start our season where Juulsen as our best hitter. Now he has company with Lafferty.  We need that physicality to keep teams honest. I'm really hoping Juulsen works out because if he can get that one good hit every game would help us a lot. And I can't wait to see Lafferty using his sandpaper on opposing forwards.

9 hours ago, Tusk said:

Bruh, I'm with you on Boeser, he's fine. And Bear is perfectly fine depth (who can fill in the top 4 with injuries) if we can grab him for $1-$1.5m and move Myers later this season...but $3m is nowhere near legit top 4 money. First pair D are now making ~$7- $11m+ for legit #1Ds, low end 2nd pair guys are pretty much $4.5+-$6.5'ish for high end 2nd pair. $3m is med-high end 3rd pair money for a guy who can fill in the top 4.

What the Vancouver Canucks are getting in Sam Lafferty

Just days after rumours circulated about the Canucks working the phones to make a late-preseason trade, Patrik Allvin got his man in forward Sam Lafferty from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a 2024 fifth-round pick. A native of the incredibly named Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania, Lafferty is a late bloomer who found his way into the NHL just four years ago and quickly made a name for himself as a solid bottom-six depth piece.

Lafferty is coming off a career year in 2022-23, scoring 27 points while splitting the season between the Blackhawks and the Maple Leafs. Prior to his stint in Chicago, Lafferty had been in the Penguins system since being drafted in 2014. Say what you will about Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin, but they’re nothing if not loyal to their former Pittsburgh products.

Clocking in at 6-foot-2 and over 200 pounds, Lafferty brings a hardnosed game to the Canucks’ bottom six, a piece that’s been missing since Derek Dorsett’s career was cut short by injuries. But despite his bigger frame and physicality, Lafferty is best known for his speed, an element that the Canucks are especially deprived of across the current roster.

The 28-year-old also adds a right-handed centre to Rick Tocchet’s options and, combined with his quick skating and heavy-hitting, makes Lafferty an ideal option for the Canucks’ penalty-killing unit. Think Tyler Motte, but taller.

While his offensive capabilities might be a bit more limited, Lafferty’s certainly no slouch when given the time and space. The Leafs certainly thought so last year, which is why they packaged up a pair of top 60 picks to acquire him and Jake McCabe from the Blackhawks ahead of last year’s playoffs.

With the Leafs now under new management in Brad Treliving, Lafferty suddenly found himself as the odd man out. Rather than lose him for nothing on the waiver wire, Toronto offered him up to the rest of the league and the Canucks pounced.

The fifth round pick the Canucks gave up to add Lafferty is far from the worst price Patrik Allvin could’ve paid. But the oddest aspect of this move is where it leaves Jack Studnicka, who was officially waived to Abbotsford following the deal.

Throughout training camp and the preseason Studnicka was given some surprisingly high profile assignments, including regular shifts on Tocchet’s second power play unit. And while Lafferty is a fairly considerable upgrade, it’s strange that the coaching staff was devoting so much time fitting Studnicka into their opening night game plan when the front office saw him as the odd man out.

But Lafferty might prove to be a crucial immediate add, with Teddy Blueger skating a bit gingerly on Sunday after Friday’s preseason finale against Calgary. If Blueger is indeed nursing an injury, he could quickly slot in as a fourth line centre while Pius Suter takes over on the third line.

Lafferty on also the last season of a two-year deal he signed in Chicago, which has an AAV of $1.15 million. The move leaves the Canucks right up against the cap limit, but depending on the severity of Carson Soucy’s injury also suffered against the Flames, that issue might solve itself in an unfortunate way.

Canucks fans will likely get their first look at Sam Lafferty in Wednesday’s season opener against Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers. Puck drop at Rogers Arena is set for 7 P.M. Pacific time.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/what-vancouver-canucks-sam-lafferty

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tusk said:

I don't mind Soucy. I think he's a pretty good add (so far), mostly because he's one of the people who scored in the preseason. Also seems to be a tough player to play against.

These adds though are all going to determine how good this management is. If we finish at the bottom - and I hope not - this management is crap.

• -AJ- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

That's been one of my biggest pet peeves with this team since the post 2020 bubble off-season.  Instead of saying, "lets put a solid d-man beside Hughes and make this pairing our version of Keith-Seabrook," the Canucks seem more content to be putting plugs beside Hughes since Hughes is good enough to carry them (which would then allow is to artificially create the appearance of having depth on the back-end).   

I like Soucy and Cole but they shouldn't be playing with Hughes.  Neither should McWard.  And the scary thing is that this is under full health to our D!  One injury to any of our current Top 4 d-men and the Canucks will literally have a #5 calibre or below d-man playing with Hughes or Hronek.  :puke:

I think Willander is being groomed to play inevitably with Hughes. But he's obviously not there yet. We're looking at 2-3 years when Hughes is essentially a UFA. Will he remain at that time? That's the biggest question after Petey. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

I don't mind Soucy. I think he's a pretty good add (so far), mostly because he's one of the people who scored in the preseason. Also seems to be a tough player to play against.

These adds though are all going to determine how good this management is. If we finish at the bottom - and I hope not - this management is crap.

If we finish at the bottom, I think Rutherford decides to blow it up. Trade all the core pieces, and start all over again, or at the very least trade the current core, for other organization's core pieces (young draft picks). Thing is I don't know how long Rutherford can remain in his current role before his health issues take over eventually. 

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

What the Vancouver Canucks are getting in Sam Lafferty

Just days after rumours circulated about the Canucks working the phones to make a late-preseason trade, Patrik Allvin got his man in forward Sam Lafferty from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a 2024 fifth-round pick. A native of the incredibly named Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania, Lafferty is a late bloomer who found his way into the NHL just four years ago and quickly made a name for himself as a solid bottom-six depth piece.

Lafferty is coming off a career year in 2022-23, scoring 27 points while splitting the season between the Blackhawks and the Maple Leafs. Prior to his stint in Chicago, Lafferty had been in the Penguins system since being drafted in 2014. Say what you will about Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin, but they’re nothing if not loyal to their former Pittsburgh products.

Clocking in at 6-foot-2 and over 200 pounds, Lafferty brings a hardnosed game to the Canucks’ bottom six, a piece that’s been missing since Derek Dorsett’s career was cut short by injuries. But despite his bigger frame and physicality, Lafferty is best known for his speed, an element that the Canucks are especially deprived of across the current roster.

The 28-year-old also adds a right-handed centre to Rick Tocchet’s options and, combined with his quick skating and heavy-hitting, makes Lafferty an ideal option for the Canucks’ penalty-killing unit. Think Tyler Motte, but taller.

While his offensive capabilities might be a bit more limited, Lafferty’s certainly no slouch when given the time and space. The Leafs certainly thought so last year, which is why they packaged up a pair of top 60 picks to acquire him and Jake McCabe from the Blackhawks ahead of last year’s playoffs.

With the Leafs now under new management in Brad Treliving, Lafferty suddenly found himself as the odd man out. Rather than lose him for nothing on the waiver wire, Toronto offered him up to the rest of the league and the Canucks pounced.

The fifth round pick the Canucks gave up to add Lafferty is far from the worst price Patrik Allvin could’ve paid. But the oddest aspect of this move is where it leaves Jack Studnicka, who was officially waived to Abbotsford following the deal.

Throughout training camp and the preseason Studnicka was given some surprisingly high profile assignments, including regular shifts on Tocchet’s second power play unit. And while Lafferty is a fairly considerable upgrade, it’s strange that the coaching staff was devoting so much time fitting Studnicka into their opening night game plan when the front office saw him as the odd man out.

But Lafferty might prove to be a crucial immediate add, with Teddy Blueger skating a bit gingerly on Sunday after Friday’s preseason finale against Calgary. If Blueger is indeed nursing an injury, he could quickly slot in as a fourth line centre while Pius Suter takes over on the third line.

Lafferty on also the last season of a two-year deal he signed in Chicago, which has an AAV of $1.15 million. The move leaves the Canucks right up against the cap limit, but depending on the severity of Carson Soucy’s injury also suffered against the Flames, that issue might solve itself in an unfortunate way.

Canucks fans will likely get their first look at Sam Lafferty in Wednesday’s season opener against Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers. Puck drop at Rogers Arena is set for 7 P.M. Pacific time.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/what-vancouver-canucks-sam-lafferty

It kind of feels like the depth of this organization is already being tested before the season has begun. Blueger a little dinged already before the games matter. Soucy is out. Goodness. This is going to be a really wild and interesting season. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Whatever happened to McWard that they were so high on and wanted to give chance?

Honestly, throwing him in there isn't good for his development. He needs a little bit of time in Abby playing in all situations. I know it's not the sexiest solution, but it's the best for him and his game. We could bring him up, and he could play, but I agree that the NHL isn't a place to learn the game. It's where you're expected to know how to play. That's what this organization thought they could do with Virtanen and McCann. They thought they could draft players and teach them how to play in the NHL. They were dead wrong. McCann survived the mistake of management and flourished as a result, but he was close to becoming a bust with several organizations giving up on him. Virtanen was just a bust. But management and fans (I'll admit I was one of them) thought he was like Big Bert, where he blossomed much later in his career. 

Personally, I'd let McWard just take as much time as he needs to develop in Abby until he demonstrates that there's nothing left to learn, or he becomes waiver-eligible. if he's waiver-eligible and still can't crack the team, then he's a dime-a-dozen kind of player. And there's plenty of that in the league. 

Just now, Jaimito said:

He looks good in Canucks gear. 

I really like the bottom six this year. It's looking like it can kill penalties, and maybe even chip in a little bit offensively (Blueger and now Lafferty). Hoping that these guys help the team win some more games than we did last season. 

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Bruh, I'm with you on Boeser, he's fine. And Bear is perfectly fine depth (who can fill in the top 4 with injuries) if we can grab him for $1-$1.5m and move Myers later this season...but $3m is nowhere near legit top 4 money. First pair D are now making ~$7- $11m+ for legit #1Ds, low end 2nd pair guys are pretty much $4.5+-$6.5'ish for high end 2nd pair. $3m is med-high end 3rd pair money for a guy who can fill in the top 4.

This struck me as inaccurate and I was looking for something to distract me from my surprise tax bill, so I decided to do my own research. I went through every roster and looked at the salary of the 4th highest paid D (including IR, but not LTIR) then I calculated the mean and median averages.

Justin Barron got the short straw with a measly 925k. Brady Skjei wins this week's jackpot, taking home a whopping 5.25m (though it’s probably worth mentioning only 50k separates Carolina’s 2nd and 4th highest paid D). Other notable names include Luke Schenn’s 2.75m retirement fund and Guddy’s crazy 4m contract. Across the league the median is $2.925m and the mean is $2.846m. Skej is the only player in the league paid above the bottom end of your estimate for low end 2nd pair, with some guy called Chris Tanev coming a distant second on exactly $4.5m.

It's also worth noting the salaries tend to drop off quite a lot after 4th. You'll have to do your own calculations for the mythical 5/6 who can play top 4, but I'm pretty confident it will be a lot less than Soucy's $3.25m.

Because I’m a lot of fun at parties, I did the same calculation for the 2nd highest earners on every team. Only Trouba, Hedman, and McDonagh earn over $6.5m. Lindholm comes in at exactly $6.5m as do Faulk and Krug, though they’re paid the joint most on St Louis and the same goes for Sanheim and Elis at Philly at $6.25m each. Spare a thought for Sean Durzi who, not only has to play for Arizona, but does it for chump change of $1.7m. Though he only came second because I broke my own rule and ignored Weber who is only not on LTIR or retired for pure cap shenanigans. The median of the 2nd highest paid D is $5.275m and the mean is $5.587m.

I realise this has turned into an excessively long post, the short answer is nope. I hope Soucy works out, partly because he’s definitely being paid top 4 money.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This struck me as inaccurate and I was looking for something to distract me from my surprise tax bill, so I decided to do my own research. I went through every roster and looked at the salary of the 4th highest paid D (including IR, but not LTIR) then I calculated the mean and median averages.

Justin Barron got the short straw with a measly 925k. Brady Skjei wins this week's jackpot, taking home a whopping 5.25m (though it’s probably worth mentioning only 50k separates Carolina’s 2nd and 4th highest paid D). Other notable names include Luke Schenn’s 2.75m retirement fund and Guddy’s crazy 4m contract. Across the league the median is $2.925m and the mean is $2.846m. Skej is the only player in the league paid above the bottom end of your estimate for low end 2nd pair, with some guy called Chris Tanev coming a distant second on exactly $4.5m.

It's also worth noting the salaries tend to drop off quite a lot after 4th. You'll have to do your own calculations for the mythical 5/6 who can play top 4, but I'm pretty confident it will be a lot less than Soucy's $3.25m.

Because I’m a lot of fun at parties, I did the same calculation for the 2nd highest earners on every team. Only Trouba, Hedman, and McDonagh earn over $6.5m. Lindholm comes in at exactly $6.5m as do Faulk and Krug, though they’re paid the joint most on St Louis and the same goes for Sanheim and Elis at Philly at $6.25m each. Spare a thought for Sean Durzi who, not only has to play for Arizona, but does it for chump change of $1.7m. Though he only came second because I broke my own rule and ignored Weber who is only not on LTIR or retired for pure cap shenanigans. The median of the 2nd highest paid D is $5.275m and the mean is $5.587m.

I realise this has turned into an excessively long post, the short answer is nope. I hope Soucy works out, partly because he’s definitely being paid top 4 money.

Figuring out averages and looking at contracts signed 4+ years ago, guys on ELC/bridge deals etc doesn't give you current UFA aged market values 😉 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Figuring out averages and looking at contracts signed 4+ years ago, guys on ELC/bridge deals etc doesn't give you current UFA aged market values 😉 

No one in the top 4 paid D across the league is on an ELC, so that's a complete red herring. The cap has only gone up $2m in 4 years so that's not a major factor - if anything contracts signed pre-covid were probably inflated due to assumptions about future increases. I'm not saying my workings are perfect, but I think they're an improvement over pulling numbers out of my ass. 😉

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

No one in the top 4 paid D across the league is on an ELC, so that's a complete red herring. The cap has only gone up $2m in 4 years so that's not a major factor - if anything contracts signed pre-covid were probably inflated due to assumptions about future increases. I'm not saying my workings are perfect, but I think they're an improvement over pulling numbers out of my ass. 😉

They're not out of mine or anyone's ass. They're amounts based off of guys that have signed in the last couple years. AKA current market values.

Edited by aGENT

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They're not out of mine or anyone's ass. They're amounts based off of guys that have signed in the last couple years. AKA current market values.

So who's getting paid $6.5m, was signed in the last two years, and is 4th in ATOI on their team? I'm open to alternative ways of defining low end 2nd pair.