(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

Just now, King Heffy said:

He's not a call up level player though.  He's a leave in the AHL no matter what level player.  There's no excuse for allowing that plug to dress for a game; you need to have guys available in the minors who can play without embarrassing the franchise like Dries does.

17 pts in the NHL is embarassing? 

• Cheers 1

This guy looks to be the Tucker Poolman of forwards.

The board is cherry picking a couple of stats over a short stretch of play and ignoring his actual career just like Poolman and just like when Poolman was acquired, this guy keeps getting bigger and more physical as the thread goes on.

Dude isn’t big.  Dude doesn’t hit (under 2 hits a game average, and less in recent years).  Dude doesn’t block shots.  Used as a winger and not centre.  FO% well under 50% in every year and every stop except for one short stretch in Chicago.  He was 43% in Toronto most recently.

He is a waiver wire player we didn’t pay much for and we could pick up an equivalent player for nothing off the wire.

….. I guess at least we aren’t paying him millions on a Multi year contract, so it is an improvement over Benning.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's why you want picks in volume.

We have one of the worst prospect pools in the league, along with a team that can't even make the playoffs.

Yet we keep repeating the same mistakes. Maybe it's time the Canucks management change how they approach things...

Again though, it depends on the picks and what we are getting for those picks. You seem more focused on the pick and prospect pool than the trade itself and the big picture.

While I agree to an extent that we could use volume I don't care about a 5th round pick if it means upgrading the team. There is diminishing returns with volume as well, because we only have so many signing slots. Get that volume with the higher round picks.

Not to mention, all I've heard from you about Lafferty is he "doesn't thread the needle"... whatever that's supposed to mean. Perhaps you can give an example of someone you would trade a 5th round pick for that "threads the needle" and how Lafferty doesn't have that? Or are you just not for trading picks at all?

If you have truly watched his game, I want to know why you don't think he "threads the needle". If you can't, then I'm assuming you haven't actually watched his game and you're just outright lying about it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

some of you, a few pages back, were saying the we were becoming the Vancouver Penguins.... like that was a BAD thing.

? just HOW MANY cups have THEY won in the last 10 years, compared to us ?

I'd rather be the Vancouver Penguins than the Vancouver Oilers, that's for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

That actually looks like a team that can compete with either a highly skilled team (shot suppression) or a shut down team (enough skill in the top 9 and can grit out a win 1-0 or 2-1

A Stanley cup winning lineup perhaps? 🫢 

Jk we need more upgrades.

Just now, The Lock said:

Again though, it depends on the picks and what we are getting for those picks. You seem more focused on the pick and prospect pool than the trade itself and the big picture.

Stopped reading after this nonsense. This is laughably false.

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Stopped reading after this nonsense. This is laughably false.

Then explain why rather than laughing. I sense a nervous laughter from you here.

Trying to dodge bullets while getting destroyed by rpgs you are.

Yeah, you haven't seen Lafferty's game. Of this I'm certain.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

With that logic every team should trade away every 5th round pick.

Drafting is all about volume. Need more picks to increase odds of finding a gem.

We keep trading away picks year after year. And look how weak our prospect pool is.

Quantity doesn't equal quality and later rounds have fewer "gems". You may not get a gem with that one later round pick you've just let go of. So it's about weighing it out and not just assuming that more = better chance. More picks in the early rounds? Sure...but as you move further away the odds do decrease so hitting the jackpot gets harder.

Picks get traded, just how it is. And later rounds aren't as coveted as you make them out to be.

AUGUST 18: Anaheim Ducks acquire defenseman Ilya Lyubushkin from the Buffalo Sabres for a 4th-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft.| Lyubushkin traded to Ducks by Sabres

AUGUST 15: Detroit Red Wings acquire defenseman Jeff Petry from the Montreal Canadiens for Gustav Lindstrom and a conditional 4th-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft. | Petry traded to Red Wings by Canadiens

AUGUST 8:Carolina Hurricanes acquire forward David Kase from the Philadelphia Flyers for forward Massimo Rizzo and a 5th round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft. | Kase traded to Hurricanes by Flyers

AUGUST 6: Pittsburgh Penguins acquire defenseman Erik Karlsson, forward Dillon Hamaliuk and a 3rd-round pick in the 2026 NHL Draft from the San Jose Sharks for forwards Mikael Granlund, Mike Hoffman, defenseman Jan Rutta and a 1st-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft. | Karlsson traded to Penguins by Sharks

AUGUST 6: Montreal Canadiens acquire defenseman Jeff Petry, goalie Casey DeSmith, forward Nathan Legare and a 2nd-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft from the Pittsburgh Penguins for forwards Mike Hoffman and Rem Pitlick. | Petry traded to Canadiens by Penguins

JULY 9: Detroit Red Wings acquire forward Alex DeBrincat from the Ottawa Senators for forward Dominik Kubalik, defenseman Donovan Sebrango, a conditional 1st-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft and a 4th-round pick in the 2024 draft. | DeBrincat traded to Red Wings by Senators

JULY 2:Minnesota Wild acquire forward Pat Maroon and forward Maxim Cajkovic from the Tampa Bay Lightning for a 7th-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft. | Maroon traded to Wild by Lightning

JULY 1: San Jose Sharks acquire forward Anthony Duclair from the Florida Panthers for forward Steven Lorentz and a 5th-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft. | Duclair traded to Sharks by Panthers for Lorentz, draft pick

JULY 1: New Jersey Devils acquire defenseman Colin Miller from the Dallas Stars for a 5th-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft. | Miller traded to Devils by Stars

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

The board is cherry picking a couple of stats over a short stretch of play and ignoring his actual career just like Poolman and just like when Poolman was acquired, this guy keeps getting bigger and more physical as the thread goes on.

Dude isn’t big.  Dude doesn’t hit (under 2 hits a game average, and less in recent years).  Dude doesn’t block shots.  Used as a winger and not centre.  FO% well under 50% in every year and every stop except for one short stretch in Chicago.  He was 43% in Toronto most recently.

He is a waiver wire player we didn’t pay much for and we could pick up an equivalent player for nothing off the wire.

….. I guess at least we aren’t paying him millions on a Multi year contract, so it is an improvement over Benning.

In fairness aren’t you just cherry picking but as devil’s advocate? 

Truth I believe is in the middle here, and a player like this is worth a flyer for a fifth round pick. 

Worst case scenario is we got an average 4th liner best case scenario we got a good bottom six player. 

53 minutes ago, CanucksRookieFan said:

Why are people upset? 5th round draft picks are garbage, anything after 3rd round is used as currency around the NHL, I am new to hockey and even I picked up on that.

Getting a proven 20 point bottom 6 center for a throw away late rounder is a WIN, nothing ever good came from 5th round.

Bure was drafted in the sixth round.  Do you know who that is?  Sometimes late round picks can be worth something.  For a team that needs to accumulate draft picks and build a team out of it, we sure like to send them away for proven plugs.  All the time.  That’s a big part of the reason why Vancouver has been so mediocre the last 10 years.  People get annoyed when they see stuff like this because the Canucks should be trading for draft picks not trading them away.  It’s very frustrating to see the cycle play out over and over.  I know this trade isn’t a big deal but in the bigger picture it is a reminder of a bigger fundamental problem with this organization.  That is why I believe people are annoyed with these kind of trades.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Fair enough... Maybe pumping him up more than he actually is?  Possibly, but there was no guarantee he was going to put in waivers and we don't know even if he was, that we'd be able to get him.  A 5th is something but not much.  Poolman is a poor comparison though.

• Cheers 2

I do appreciate the emphasis on picking up speedy players. Mikheyev, Beauviller, Lafferty, PDG, and I'd even say Blueger from what I've seen is quite speedy. For the first time in several years it feels like we have an actual identity as a team (defensive/Speedy)

Edited by AK-19
  • Cheers 4

17 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Everybody forgotten about the once and often heralded Tyler Motte?

Lafferty is a bigger, better, and edgier version of him, and just as tenacious. He creates havoc, and finishes his checks. 

I can't wait to see him become a fan favorite haha, and if/when we make the playoffs, he will be valuable...a commodity we've been sorely missing

I still miss Motte. What a gamer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

No shit.

Most picks beyond the top 15 or so picks in the first round become absolutely fuck all.

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

So how many top 15 picks do we have on our team…. Is it 3. 

lafferty was a 4th garland a 5th 

Could have had this guy for nothing when he or someone better would have hit waivers in a day. 
yup just a 5th but it’s a fifth we didn’t need to throw away. 
sure shows the total lack of depth this franchise still has. 

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Then explain why rather than laughing. I sense a nervous laughter from you here.

Trying to dodge bullets while getting destroyed by rpgs you are.

Yeah, you haven't seen Lafferty's game. Of this I'm certain.

I'm not going to waste my time with you if you're going to make ridiculous statements.

My career involves me watching all players around the league, so yes I am very familiar with Lafferty. Contrary to your claims, I dislike this trade because bigger picture we trade away so many picks.

The trade by itself doesn't do much. It's death by a thousand cuts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1