(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

21 minutes ago, Cameron88188 said:

Massive win!

Hey Jim take notes, this is how one can get a vet right handed centre for a 5th rounder and 1.15 aav…

vs

That Jay Beagle UFA signing at 4y, 3 mil aav was such a disaster! 

Alvin n co. Knows what they are doing. We are going to turn some heads this year! Great trade and very little risk! 

You sound fired up. Are you fired up, or what?!

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's what was said about Bear, Studnicka, Dermott, Bowey, the list goes on and on.

A lot of good this philosophy has done for us...

Yawn. Same old same old. And Bear did make the team better as we needed a RHD, may even be re-signed in the next few months. 

Dermott was fine when healthy. 

Bowey you’re reaching don’t recall anyone saying he’d make the team better but worth buying low on at the time. 

Studnicka jury is still out. 

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

I'm not going to waste my time with you if you're going to make ridiculous statements.

My career involves me watching all players around the league, so yes I am very familiar with Lafferty. Contrary to your claims, I dislike this trade because bigger picture we trade away so many picks.

The trade by itself doesn't do much. It's death by a thousand cuts.

Great. If that's your career then show it.

For all I know you're some accountant for a mom and pop shop claiming all this.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

This guy looks to be the Tucker Poolman of forwards.

The board is cherry picking a couple of stats over a short stretch of play and ignoring his actual career just like Poolman and just like when Poolman was acquired, this guy keeps getting bigger and more physical as the thread goes on.

Dude isn’t big.  Dude doesn’t hit (under 2 hits a game average, and less in recent years).  Dude doesn’t block shots.  Used as a winger and not centre.  FO% well under 50% in every year and every stop except for one short stretch in Chicago.  He was 43% in Toronto most recently.

He is a waiver wire player we didn’t pay much for and we could pick up an equivalent player for nothing off the wire.

….. I guess at least we aren’t paying him millions on a Multi year contract, so it is an improvement over Benning.

Well he seems to hold his own just fine.

Here's a guy with 30 lbs on him:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'm not going to waste my time with you if you're going to make ridiculous statements.

My career involves me watching all players around the league, so yes I am very familiar with Lafferty. Contrary to your claims, I dislike this trade because bigger picture we trade away so many picks.

The trade by itself doesn't do much. It's death by a thousand cuts.

Drance? Is that you? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

In fairness aren’t you just cherry picking but as devil’s advocate? 

Truth I believe is in the middle here, and a player like this is worth a flyer for a fifth round pick. 

Worst case scenario is we got an average 4th liner best case scenario we got a good bottom six player. 

I am taking career numbers and not figuring out which half a season he played better than his career average for a particular stat and using that he extrapolate what type and level of player he is.  That isn’t the definition of cherry picking on my part.

There is also the purely inventing other things like his size, grit, and physicality which just aren’t true even in a small sample.

Dude is fast, has had some success on the PK, and is somewhere between a 4th liner and an AHL player.  He is available because he was going to be waiver by a a team that lacks physicality, grit, and PK.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Combover said:

Could have had this guy for nothing when he or someone better would have hit waivers in a day.

It amazes me when posters seem to think they know what's really happening within the inner workings of the NHL system.  What do you know?  You're just talking out of your ass.  Day Today GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Canuckle said:

It has actually.

And I love this  "here's a few cherry picked cases where I deem it didn't t work so never do it."

And talk about completely ignoring the context of those players when you say it.

Ie. They KNEW Dermott would go down with multiple concussions? They KNEW Bear would get injured at the Worlds?

Get real.

Bottomline is the vast vasy majority of 5th round picks become absolutely fuck all. EVER.

The team needs help now and not just 5 years from now when that pick ever becomes something of relevance.  And again spoiler alert: they don't.

Secondly, this hoarding picks idea is a rebuild type philosophy and they aren't rebuilding. Nor should they.

The trade is fine. Frankly it's like a nothing issue. More NHL calibre players and improved depth the better.

That's all this is.

He'll just read the 1st 2 lines of your post and then "laugh" because he knows the rest's going to destroy him. lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yawn. Same old same old. And Bear did make the team better as we needed a RHD, may even be re-signed in the next few months. 

Bowey you’re reaching don’t recall anyone saying he’d make the team better but worth buying low on at the time. 

Pretty sure the jury has already reached a verdict on Studnicka. Even his reinvented self isn’t good enough to stay on the big club. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

It has actually.

And I love this  "here's a few cherry picked cases where I deem it didn't t work so never do it."

And talk about completely ignoring the context of those players when you say it.

Ie. They KNEW Dermott would go down with multiple concussions? They KNEW Bear would get injured at the Worlds?

Get real.

Bottomline is the vast vasy majority of 5th round picks become absolutely fuck all. EVER.

The team needs help now and not just 5 years from now when that pick ever becomes something of relevance.  And again spoiler alert: they don't.

Secondly, this hoarding picks idea is a rebuild type philosophy and they aren't rebuilding. Nor should they.

The trade is fine. Frankly it's like a nothing issue. More NHL calibre players and improved depth the better.

That's all this is.

All wasted assets that many people knew immediately.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Except it does matter to you, because you were trying to use your "job" as leverage instead of just giving actual insight on the player.

Why would you think I'd provide a detailed breakdown of my thoughts on him when I do that for work?

I give my overall thoughts -- which is that we keep bleeding assets for no results.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I still miss Motte. What a gamer. 

Me too 💯

We haven't had a replacement for him since his departure....sure, we have tweener "energy" guys, but they're not relentless puck hounds like Motter was, and they don't bring much else....and inasmuch as I loved the Blueger acquisition, this one here fills an important need in the bottom 6...I firmly believe that JR/PA won't allow "placeholders" to languish in the bottom 6 anymore, or anywhere else in the lineup

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am taking career numbers and not figuring out which half a season he played better than his career average for a particular stat and using that he extrapolate what type and level of player he is.  That isn’t the definition of cherry picking on my part.

There is also the purely inventing other things like his size, grit, and physicality which just aren’t true even in a small sample.

Dude is fast, has had some success on the PK, and is somewhere between a 4th liner and an AHL player.  He is available because he was going to be waiver by a a team that lacks physicality, grit, and PK.

The thing is 4th line players trajectories are going to be up and down especially early in there career. I think you’re undermining his abilities a bit as much as you say others are over estimating them. 

Again still a player worth a flyer on and even if the waiver scenario is true it isn’t likely that he would make it to Van anyway so getting him for free is kind of a moot point really. 

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

People actually care about a 5th round pick? Lmao. 

It's more the bigger picture of us trading a lot of our picks while being one of the worst teams in the league. The fact you fail to see why it's a problem is why we have been routinely rated as having one of the worst prospect pools and haven't had any meaningful players outside the 1st or 2nd round in a long while.

With that said, it's pretty clear we are going all in this season to give Petey a reason to hang around. And even if we shit the bed. We can probably flip this guy at the deadline for a 5th rounder anyway. It's not a huge deal.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1