(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

Just now, Goal_thecup said:

Lafferty certainly helps, but we still have too many players who are too small or too soft for the team to be considered hard to play against.

Most of those players are: 

A) Tom Wilson Ovie type players who are unavailable  

B) Zac MacEwen, Ryan Reaves bottom 6 easily attainable via trade or waivers. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

True story ... I'm blind in one eye, so I can't help but blindly cheer. Especially when I close my left eye. It's not so bad. 😉

Having had almost lost an eye at one point, that hit almost too close to home.

• Huggy Bear 3

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hate to say it. It would be a better name than Canucks.

But I think Pittsburgh would have a problem with that.

Vancouver Kodiaks? Go with a bear theme?

No more bear-themed sports teams can survive in this market after the catastrophic Grizzlies run I would think?

23 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We can trade Studnicka tomorrow and get that 5th back, upgrade and an easy to acquire asset. 

Well... lets see it happen.  It doesn't seem realistic that every team is shedding players to get under the cap right now, but someone wants to take a player we want to waive even though that means they have to waive another player themselves.  Why wouldn't the other team have traded for Lafferty themselves then and end up with the better player?

So many of these "Hey if these things happen in the future, all is good" type comments."

We pay high picks to ditch a little bit of cap space, even in your imaginary world we add $400k in salary just to trade waiver wire players.  It is meaningless at best, or a waste of cap space or a pick at worst if we end up waiving him ourselves.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Lafferty certainly helps, but we still have too many players who are too small or too soft for the team to be considered hard to play against.

Baby steps lol!  Seriously though... 2012 was the last year we were considered at all hard to play against.  That's why I so loved the 94' team.  However, just like that team.  It seems really hard to qualify for the post season when you have to many less skilled but 200 ft players aka st.blues cup year.  Hard to have that balance.  I think we're close though.  Especially if Joshua really does get his shit together and bring his game to another level.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I think some a little overboard with the draft pick complaints. I say this as a guy that usually complains about trading picks. He'll either help us reach the playoffs or we can flip him for a 5th rounder later. It's really not that deep. He also looks like Miller, so that's pretty funny. Guy is physical, solid in the dot, and decent offensive numbers too for a 4th liner. Nothing really to hate about it. Canucks sent Aman to Abby if I recall. So we have a 4th line options in Lafferty, Bleuger, Joshua and Studs. Looks pretty good to me. Rotate them in and out depending on their play. Lafferty can play all 3 forward positions. Right handed. I dunno, hard to dislike the trade from where I am sitting, even as a guy that hates trading picks all the time.

Stidnicka was placed on waivers. So he’ll either be claimed or sent to Abby. 

Even Luke Fox the Laff's biggest band wagoner liked Lafferty.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-trade-sam-lafferty-to-canucks-to-open-space-for-camp-standouts/

Were the Toronto Maple Leafs' cap puzzle not so "complex," as Sheldon Keefe put it Saturday night, they would have kept Sam Lafferty, not traded him to the Vancouver Canucks as they did Sunday afternoon.

Lafferty is a speedy, versatile depth forward who can kill penalties, jump on the forecheck and pitch in a little bottom-six offence (nine points in his brief 28-game stint for the Leafs down the stretch and into the 2023 postseason).

The Maple Leafs liked the player fine.

And yet, so crammed is Toronto's salary cap, Lafferty's modest $1.15 million salary was deemed too rich to keep on the books for opening night.

Fearing he would lose Lafferty on Sunday's waiver wire — the final day to wipe salary before Monday's cap compliance deadline of 5 p.m. ET — Leafs GM Brad Treliving dealt the player to Vancouver, where a front office of Jim Rutherford and Patrick Allvin is quite familiar with the former Pittsburgh Penguin.

In return, the Leafs salvage a fifth-round draft pick, giving them three fifth-round choices in 2024.

They'd rather have the depth than the late-round pick, though.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stidnicka was placed on waivers. So he’ll either be claimed or sent to Abby. 

That's a shame, thought he looked solid. But hey, if he gets claimed we free up that roster spot Lafferty took. Or if he doesn't we have callup depth for if/when injuries hit.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1

For those trying to assess Lafferty's value, it's worth recalling what the Leafs gave up to get him & McCabe last Spring. 

They surrendered a 2025 first-round pick, a 2026 second-round pick, plus forwards Joey Anderson and Pavel Gogolev to Chicago to acquire Lafferty & McCabe.

The canucks gave up a 5th round pick.

Time will tell if Lafferty yields a significant upgrade on the Canucks' 4th line. 

But his recent market value appears to be significantly higher than a 5th round pick.

Edited by syntheticity
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

That's a shame, thought he looked solid. But hey, if he gets claimed we free up that roster spot Lafferty took. Or we have callup depth for if/when injuries hit.

Lafferty basically replaces Studnicka in the lineup. When Mikheyev is back they will send down Aman. 

Kuzmenko   Pettersson   Mikheyev 

PDG             Miller            Boeser 

Beauvillier   Suter            Garland 

Joshua        Blueger        Rafferty 

Höglander

That’s probably gonna be our forward group right now. The only line I am concerned about is the 3rd line. It is small and even smaller of Höglander is on it.

We’ll need to upgrade it if we want to be a playoff team. Adding a big body to the 3rd line would make our forward group almost complete. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lafferty had 27 points last year. He’s definitely an upgrade on Studnicka or Aman or even Joshua. Some people who are saying he’s AHL fodder have no clue what they are talking about. 

His finishing seems a bit unsustainable (especially on the penalty kill), but he is a valuable fourth liner on any hockey team.  A fifth round pick has a 15% chance of becoming a full-time NHLer who logs over 100+ games.  The hope here is that Lafferty helps us win games and maybe even stick around for longer should things go well.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

In recent memory…

Jamie Benn

Hellebuyck

Gallagher

Klingberg

Hyman

Mrazek

Hoffman

Terry

Kaprizov

And still more names could be added

Now name all of the 5th round prospects that didn't make the NHL in those same years. lol

Edit: I think the whole "name recent 5th rounders" thing doesn't really ring home the fact that the ones that make it in the 5th round are very rare.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1