Gallagher

Klingberg

Hyman

Mrazek

Hoffman

Terry

Kaprizov

And still more names could be added

Don't bother, this poster wasn't actually interested in the question. I already played this one out with them.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Now name all of the 5th round prospects that didn't make the NHL in those same years. lol

Edit: I think the whole "name recent 5th rounders" thing doesn't really ring home the fact that the ones that make it in the 5th round are very rare.

Our 2nd/3rd round picks are either getting cut or barely even cracking the roster

It's no surprise Vancouver values their picks so little.

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Don't bother, this poster wasn't actually interested in the question. I already played this one out with them.

I really think the rarity of successful 5th round picks would have been a much stronger argument to be fair. It kind of made it seem like it was "all or nothing", which is rarely a truth in sports or anything for that matter.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Baby steps lol!  Seriously though... 2012 was the last year we were considered at all hard to play against.  That's why I so loved the 94' team.  However, just like that team.  It seems really hard to qualify for the post season when you have to many less skilled but 200 ft players aka st.blues cup year.  Hard to have that balance.  I think we're close though.  Especially if Joshua really does get his shit together and bring his game to another level.

Joshua really needs to get it in gear more consistently. Trouble is he is basically lazy and not naturally aggressive despite the size. Toc will keep prodding though.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Our 2nd/3rd round picks are either getting cut or barely even cracking the roster

It's no surprise Vancouver values their picks so little.

Well, that's a whole different discussion in my opinion that could have tons of good points from both sides. lol

On one hand, you can blame things on the club. On another hand, you can blame things on the players. You could even blame it on spotty drafting and say it's nothing to do with our development. You could go so many different directions. You could even just deny it all and say it's because we have fewer draft picks and not even an issue.

Yeah... this is a can of worms. haha

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

In recent memory…

Jamie Benn

Hellebuyck

Gallagher

Klingberg

Hyman

Mrazek

Hoffman

Terry

Kaprizov

And still more names could be added

You forgot our beloved Kevin Bieksa. 

I agree you can find a gem in the 5th round. But for every Jamie Benn there are 20 Cole Candella’s or Toni Utunen’s. 

If you are shooting for a playoff spot and you need to fill a hole then trading a 5th round pick is a good gamble. There are several guys that we could trade at the deadline in order to get that 5th round pick back. Beauvillier probably gets us a 3rd. Blueger could get us a 3rd if we are out of a playoff spot. 

The late round picks are just collateral. You can pick one up just as easily as you can trade one. 

Fun fact. Sam Lafferty was traded for a former 8th overall pick less than 2 years ago. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

But...why?  What actual need does he fill?  

RHC with mediocre underlying stats and overall numbers almost 29 years old when we have zero cap space and still need RHD.

Why?

This is absolutely a trade to make a trade unless something else is coming 

You can never have too many right handed centers that can play... 

However it does smell like a pre-cursor to another move. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, KingRaj91 said:

Anyone have any background on this guy? Good at faceoffs? Physical? Haven't heard much about him but would be nice to get a bit of a brief on the type of player he is.

Took almost 500 draws, won 51%. It might let us move Blueger up to the third line with Suter, and whomever. Might be a decent play as I like this move if it makes us better offensively. Even more so if we can pick up another defender or simply dump Garland or Beauvillier. He makes $1.15 so not much more than minimum. I think we're still over the cap now though. We'll have to make a trade, waiver someone else, or put Mik on LITR.

Seems like the Leafs thought he was fairly good. Another penalty killer. I'll give him a chance. Should be easily tradeable or he can simply be put on waivers if need be.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I really think the rarity of successful 5th round picks would have been a much stronger argument to be fair. It kind of made it seem like it was "all or nothing", which is rarely a truth in sports or anything for that matter.

Sure. 5ths don't frequently become impact players. But that wasn't the question. The question was just, when. When I discussed this with the poster I gave a multitude of answers and was met with "yeah but" every time. Meaning it wasn't a real question, it was just bait and the answer didn't actually matter.

I personally find it disingenuous to start a conversation with a question when you actually don't give a shit about the answer.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You're right about the anonymity. It can be toxically empowering. I can relate to what you're saying. I used to be an admin for a few years of a much bigger, more popular forum than CDC/CFF.

You wouldn't believe what I saw and experienced from people online. After a while it became my own case study into how people interact online. Everything here I've seen a million times over. There are established and recurring patterns how people react online. I responded to that in this thread when I saw someone make mention of it. That's also why I poke fun at it and why I fight against chronic negativity. I've seen the worst of what it can do.

Anyway, didn't mean to get into all this.

As for this trade, I like that it upgrades our fourth line and adds more certainty to our depth. Also the fact that Allvin and management know him deeply from Pittsburgh is a good thing and much, much more than we know. 

This....

I like that they take known commodity... They know what he brings and also the flaws in his game...

Don't understand the negativity amongst some. Surely we want any of our lines to improve, even if its only a few %... 

• Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Most of those players are: 

A) Tom Wilson Ovie type players who are unavailable  

B) Zac MacEwen, Ryan Reaves bottom 6 easily attainable via trade or waivers. 

B)  big Mac got himself a 3 year deal and Dadjovich is still w the sharks. 

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Sure. 5ths don't frequently become impact players. But that wasn't the question. The question was just, when. When I discussed this with the poster I gave a multitude of answers and was met with "yeah but" every time. Meaning it wasn't a real question, it was just bait and the answer didn't actually matter.

Yeah but....

(Sorry couldn't help it)

I think in the end, it's almost always some happy medium in the middle. Obviously a 5th rounder has some value or else why would we be able to get Lafferty for it in the 1st place. You heard my arguments earlier and it sounded like we reached a happy medium anyway. Timing really is what it's about. 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Yeah but....

(Sorry couldn't help it)

I think in the end, it's almost always some happy medium in the middle. Obviously a 5th rounder has some value or else why would we be able to get Lafferty for it in the 1st place. You heard my arguments earlier and it sounded like we reached a happy medium anyway. Timing really is what it's about. 😉

Entirely agree. A happy medium is almost always the correct answer, but also the rarest in a sports discussion 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

An upgrade is an upgrade. Wasn’t really sold on Studnicka as a full time NHLer. I think he just set the bar so low that fans were pleasantly surprised. He was still pretty meh though. Skated hard but didn’t do much.

Let’s not forget that Lafferty was acquired by the Leafs, a team that was a contender supposedly. Clearly they saw something in his game.

Yup, I was not impressed by Studnicka ... like ever. I watched Aman last year and thought he was terrific at times and dominated even here and there. I can't remember one game where I was impressed. So I totally agree there. I was not looking forward to seeing him in the line up. Good on him for his effort this year but you need more than just effort.

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You forgot our beloved Kevin Bieksa. 

I agree you can find a gem in the 5th round. But for every Jamie Benn there are 20 Cole Candella’s or Toni Utunen’s. 

If you are shooting for a playoff spot and you need to fill a hole then trading a 5th round pick is a good gamble. There are several guys that we could trade at the deadline in order to get that 5th round pick back. Beauvillier probably gets us a 3rd. Blueger could get us a 3rd if we are out of a playoff spot. 

The late round picks are just collateral. You can pick one up just as easily as you can trade one. 

Fun fact. Sam Lafferty was traded for a former 8th overall pick less than 2 years ago. 

I was just going off active players

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lafferty basically replaces Studnicka in the lineup. When Mikheyev is back they will send down Aman. 

Kuzmenko   Pettersson   Mikheyev 

PDG             Miller            Garland (^)

Beauvillier   Suter      Boeser(v) 

Joshua        Beluger       Rafferty 

Höglander

FTFY

That’s probably gonna be our forward group right now. The only line I am concerned about is the 3rd line. It is small and even smaller of Höglander is on it.

We’ll need to upgrade it if we want to be a playoff team. Adding a big body to the 3rd line would make our forward group almost complete. 

9 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

B)  big Mac got himself a 3 year deal and Dadjovich is still w the sharks. 

We could really use someone like Gadjovich back on this team. 

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/21004

This is Sam Lafferty's fight tally, not too shabby. 

I think that Alvin realized that our team was gonna get pushed around too much and decided to add a mix between a goon and a useful bottom 6 guy. 

• Cheers 3