(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

Just now, dannydog said:

The funny thing is, half the guys will recant their foolish chirps about trading a 5th rounder after the return plays a few games. Really .. a 5th rounder for an upgrade and the tears are flowing.

And I am 100% willing to be like "but you hated trading for him?...."

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Studnicka has 15 points in 85 games…

In what world is he better offensively? 

Studnicka is not a player that should be on an opening night roster, Lafferty is. All you need to know.

My bad. Looking up the wrong statistics. You were right! 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, dannydog said:

The funny thing is, half the guys will recant their foolish chirps about trading a 5th rounder after the return plays a few games. Really .. a 5th rounder for an upgrade and the tears are flowing.

100% ... I'm already seeing some walk back and pretend they were happy with Hronek all along. 😉

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

100% ... I'm already seeing some walk back and pretend they were happy with Hronek all along. 😉

How come I'm not surprised with that?

Personally, I've never been for or against the trade itself, but I've never seen the reason to doubt Hronek himself. You can even be against that trade and like Hronek... just... people... lol

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Most of those players are: 

A) Tom Wilson Ovie type players who are unavailable  

B) Zac MacEwen, Ryan Reaves bottom 6 easily attainable via trade or waivers. 

Not sure what you're getting at but I'm not suggesting going after old vets (or ex-Nux) at all.

It may be possible to get even better players than Lafferty for Garland, and for Beauvillier.

I like the idea of large, fast, smart, hard-hitting wingers* who can back it up when the gloves come off.

And this trading a 5th is one way to add to a stable of this prototype instead of overpaying for old vets.

Drafting lots of them is the best and having them in the system, ELCs, etc.

e.g. 2022 4th rounder Daimon Gardner is already starting to look good at 19.

Off to college, slated for 1st line, etc.

*(Wingers cuz I prefer not to have our centers or defensemen in the box.)

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

How come I'm not surprised with that?

Personally, I've never been for or against the trade itself, but I've never seen the reason to doubt Hronek himself. You can even be against that trade and like Hronek... just... people... lol

Yeah, I actually had him in my pool for his first few years and was a clutch sleeper. So when we got him, I was stoked. 

It was interesting to see all the negativity upfront. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, I actually had him in my pool for his first few years and was a clutch sleeper. So when we got him, I was stoked. 

It was interesting to see all the negativity upfront. 

The negativity was hilarious because those same people like a lot of us knew we needed a top 4 RH defencemen. We actually go out and get one and bam! Negative Nancys 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Do you have any experience in forum termination processes? They are hiring and you could put that tech to good use.

Believe me, I would be more likely to make a script to bring people over here if that were the case. lol

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Devron said:

The negativity was hilarious because those same people like a lot of us knew we needed a top 4 RH defencemen. We actually go out and get one and bam! Negative Nancys 

100% ... the negativity was cray!

So, so cray! 

It's funny, though, the same behavior keeps recurring over and over. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I will say one thing. If he kicks Suter off the team and we keep Blueger I'll be happy but if he keeps Blueger out of the lineup I'll be pissed. 

Studnika was the one who got waived.  I think it's a simple as that.

He's an upgrade who can slot in at centre is they need him.  He's not bumping Suter or Blueger.

63 points in 220 games including playoffs (0.29 ppg), Studs: 15 points in 90 games including playoffs (0.17 ppg)

6'2" 205, Studs: 6'1" 171  substantial weight advantage

AND he's bald, just like the management group!

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we shored up an area of need at a low cost. How is that not a good thing?

I didn’t realize our area of need was waiver wire wingers who have played some centre for our 4th line.

That never seemed to come up on people’s wish lists before needing to rationalize this move.

I mean we already have Blueger, Aman, Dries, Raty, Sasson, and Studnicka who are all depth Centre/Wingers to fill the same role.

Tocchet even said that the guys played well enough to be on the roster but it was a “cap” move beyond his pay grade.      

We saw how well messing around with the roster just to get a few thousand closer to fully utilizing LTIR worked last year with our red hot start.

The fact it appears to be cap related also leads me to believe we are done with moves unless something magical

drops into our laps like a Peeke deal. 

I frankly have no idea how this team

is going to go this season.  Anywhere between bottom five to fringe playoff team seems most likely.

Our improved defence has already become significantly unimproved with the Soucy injury.  We were relying on a healthy Mikheyev to make a difference but who knows if he will be 100% and not playing catch up all year.  Can a solid backup mean Demko can be at his best?  We know if he plays too much he falls apart both technically and health wise (not uncommon for goalies so not a knock on him)… can he be kept to 55-60 games so he has enough in the tank for a possible playoff push?

Can all the guys who had career years last year (that still didn’t get us close to the end playoffs) repeat that, PLUS some other guys bounce back?

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Like who? Not many other fringe players on the roster, Aman, Hoglander, or Joshua. Hoglander is still younger and our own draft pick. Joshua brings size like an extra 15 pounds and 1 inches that the others don't. I get that he worked hard but you also need to bring something to to the game. I guess Aman could have been sent down but at the end of the day I trust the coaches assessment.

I think that is precisely why this unnerves me though.

The message from Tocchet was to come to camp, earn a spot, play hard and make yourself noticeable. Jack from day one showed he was hungry for a roster spot, not just by playing hard, but he worked at being better along the walls, be hard to play against, being physical, working on his skating, and being a more versatile player adding PK ability to his arsenal. He reinvented his game, showed he can play a responsible two way game and bought into the system and gave exactly what you would've wanted to see from a player at camp.

Same for Aman, his camp was very strong and showed he could be a reliable player in that fourth line roll with Studnicka. They both deserved to be on the final roster.

Sure he didn't score or produce, but his effort was there. But its not like Joshua or Hoglander did either and had far more underwhelming camps. I get it Joshua has potential to play a heavier game and Hoglander has a higher ceiling, but I still don't like the messaging that just ebcause you may have a desirable trait like Joshua or Hoglander, doesn't mean that should be enough. At this point we need players who can reliably bring something, rather than hinging on potential. 

I get it but I still don't like it. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Not sure what you're getting at but I'm not suggesting going after old vets (or ex-Nux) at all.

It may be possible to get even better players than Lafferty for Garland, and for Beauvillier.

I like the idea of large, fast, smart, hard-hitting wingers* who can back it up when the gloves come off.

And this trading a 5th is one way to add to a stable of this prototype instead of overpaying for old vets.

Drafting lots of them is the best and having them in the system, ELCs, etc.

e.g. 2022 4th rounder Daimon Gardner is already starting to look good at 19.

Off to college, slated for 1st line, etc.

*(Wingers cuz I prefer not to have our centers or defensemen in the box.)

Not saying go after them just familiar names and that type of player.