(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I think that is precisely why this unnerves me though.

The message from Tocchet was to come to camp, earn a spot, play hard and make yourself noticeable. Jack from day one showed he was hungry for a roster spot, not just by playing hard, but he worked at being better along the walls, be hard to play against, being physical, working on his skating, and being a more versatile player adding PK ability to his arsenal. He reinvented his game, showed he can play a responsible two way game and bought into the system and gave exactly what you would've wanted to see from a player at camp.

Same for Aman, his camp was very strong and showed he could be a reliable player in that fourth line roll with Studnicka. They both deserved to be on the final roster.

Sure he didn't score or produce, but his effort was there. But its not like Joshua or Hoglander did either and had far more underwhelming camps. I get it Joshua has potential to play a heavier game and Hoglander has a higher ceiling, but I still don't like the messaging that just ebcause you may have a desirable trait like Joshua or Hoglander, doesn't mean that should be enough. At this point we need players who can reliably bring something, rather than hinging on potential. 

I get it but I still don't like it. 

There is a quote in a Friedman article from Tocchet basically saying the same thing.  Those two guys did what it took to be on the roster but cap considerations “beyond his pay grade” meant they got sent down.

“Aman and Studnicka had strong training camps and pre-seasons for the Canucks and head coach Rick Tocchet indicated they ordinarily would have been in the opening-night lineup on Wednesday.

“It's a cap thing and it's over my paygrade,” Tocchet said. “That's the thing that sucks. For us to carry six defencemen, we have to do this. (Aman) will be back. It's just a matter of time. He's definitely in our plans.”

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

He is big, right shot and kills penalties. 
Dries is none of those things. 
They are both forwards but that is a pretty thin association 

He's another bottom six well-seasoned project with limited upside. We seem to specialize in them. I'd rather see one of our prospects given a shot.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap

7 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

He's another bottom six well seasoned project with limited upside. We seem to specialize in them. I'd rather see one if our prospects given a shot.

He's shown he's at least capable of playing in the NHL.  Dries has shown that he doesn't belong anywhere near an NHL roster under any circumstances. 

I don’t understand the trade because after sending wolinan and studnicka down we are still around 600-700k over the cap that’s with minimum roster of 20 + 2 that’ll be place on ir. We can send 2 more down before opening day with the 2 injured guy and place them down after opening day to ltir and then recall players to be compliant but we don’t have anyone that is waiver exempt to send down. So we risk losing them? Or we can operate above the cap limit with ltir.. but instead of having poolman and mikeyhev full ltir relieve we would only get 600k or whatever we are over the cap by. 

poolman and mikehyev counts against the cap until they are placed on ltir. So they need to figure out a way to get below prior to placing them on ltir.. for the start of the season