(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

27 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Trading away our higher picks is a bigger problem.

But trading away as many mid to late round picks that we do is a problem too.

Ok buddy. So we traded a 5th pick for a 4th pick. Think of it that way. A 4th who has matured for a bunch of years and got some NHL time, and was mis-used by TORONTO LEAFS and we got him. Not only that but his PRICE is as expected, for his past production.

Now think of Soucy and his Cap hit. This trade is AWESOME. even though we are overstocked on wingers, this guy plays left, right and center..

I am finally ready for Garlund and Beau to be traded for a future draft, future considerations, I mean almost anything

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Adding prospects means better chance of stronger prospect pool.

Weird how this simple concept is not understood by so many.

Sure in a vacuum. But adding 5th rounders doesn't fit managents current strategy to go mostly all in on making the playoffs. We shored up an area of need, not sure why that's a big deal.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Ok buddy. So we traded a 5th pick for a 4th pick. Think of it that way. A 4th who has matured for a bunch of years and got some NHL time, and was mis-used by TORONTO LEAFS and we got him. Not only that but his PRICE is as expected, for his past production.

Now think of Soucy and his Cap hit. This trade is AWESOME. even though we are overstocked on wingers, this guy plays left, right and center..

I am finally ready for Garlund and Beau to be traded for a future draft, future considerations, I mean almost anything

We paid a 5th for a bottom of the lineup player. That's a fine move to make when you're a contender, but not a wise move for a non-playoff team (to repeatedly make).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

He’s a very good PK’er, fast and big and a right shot C, on a 1 mil contract that expires this year. Not sure why people are complaining 

it’s very clear mgmt believes scoring won’t be our issue and playing hard D will make the difference.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sure in a vacuum. But adding 5th rounders doesn't fit managents current strategy to go mostly all in on making the playoffs. We shored up an area of need, not sure why that's a big deal.

As I've said all along, that's not a good strategy to build a champion. While I don't expect them to change course now, I just hope they don't throw away too many assets in their short-sighted pursuit of making us a first round exit.

Every time we throw assets away, it's yet another cut.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

We paid a 5th for a bottom of the lineup player. That's a fine move to make when you're a contender, but not a wise move for a non-playoff team (to repeatedly make).

Hey, we traded a 5th for a pittsburg 4th in 2014. In that year, his stats were this:, 25 games played, 55

2013-14 Deerfield Academy USHS-Prep   25 21 34 55 -

-

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I really didn't care for this trade but I was pretty much indifferent because the price was so cheap. But the more I smoke this evening I'm actually really liking this deal.

Known quantity. 
Decent size, grit, can play C or W and RH with defensive smarts. 

This is exactly the type of player this team needs on its 3/4 and what we couldn’t nurture out of the majority of our bubble players. 

Tocchet gave them the chance to prove something and we mostly saw a lack of urgency or ability to markedly step it up. 
Imho, they burned their chances so we went out and sought an upgraded replacement.  This is exactly what we should be doing. If the “homegrown” talent can’t deliver what the coach expects, go out and find someone who can. Highly proactive move that immediately toughens up the line up and makes us harder to play against. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

It wouldn't be CFF without 25 pages on a 4th liner. This isn't a deal that moves the needle much, but probably more than most of the prospects we can get in the 5th round. We've definitely had some players not quite impress so far so I don't mind the low risk gamble.

In the end, this doesn't make or break our contender status, so let's just see how it goes.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

i am not sure I can even follow what you are saying.

Yes we can use all of Poolman’s LTIR because we would have maximized it on day one of the season.

You can get more LTIR if another player gets injured.  So we could get more if Boeser got injured.

In no circumstance when you are into LTIR can you accrue cap space.  That is why teams don’t want to be in LTIR.  You can’t accrue unused LTIR to spend later like you can regular cap space.

No you can’t get more ltir if another player gets injured. If we start the season at 86mil. 86mil is all you get. If boeser is injured and goes on ltir. Our cap hit remains at 86mil because ltir doesn’t remove the cap, nor does boesers ltir gets added to our 86mil. It remains at 86mil no matter how many players you add to ltir. That’s why teams are either trying to get below or exactly at the ltir amount. Otherwise why do you need to be exactly at the ltir amount to maximize? If you think additional ltir player will just add to the amount of ltir relief we already have? The ltir pool can not exceed the amount you are over the cap by in opening day. If say we are over by 2.5mil our ltir pool for the season can not exceed that amount. Say if poolman comes off ltir and we put boeser on ltir. Boesers ltir relief is only going to be 2.5mil not the 6.75mil

really depends on how you interpret it. Say even if we still get some ltir relief. It’ll most likely be u get 2.5mil additional relief on top of the 2.5 instead of 6.75 on top of the 2.5

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

You guys should all be michelin star chefs as you can apparently take other team's leftovers and create a cup winning feast.

The same guys who signed laff, signed studs and dries...

Back to my home on grinch mountain.

image.jpeg.e459eb2adadfe306e384209e0d0a7382.jpeg

Jim Carrey Hello GIF by filmeditor

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Hey, we traded a 5th for a pittsburg 4th in 2014. In that year, his stats were this:, 25 games played, 55

2013-14 Deerfield Academy USHS-Prep   25 21 34 55 -

-

I think he was "elite" at one time and didnt get the right opportunities.

With toronto sticking him at a defensive role is why he couldnt show.

I wouldnt be surprised if he knows Miller and/or Boeser.

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Known quantity. 
Size, grit, can play C or W and RH with defensive smarts. 

This is exactly the type of player this team needs on its 3/4 and what we couldn’t nurture out of the majority of our bubble players. 

Tocchet gave them the chance to prove something and we mostly saw a lack of urgency or ability to markedly step it up. 
Imho, they burned their chances so we went out and sought an upgraded replacement.  This is exactly what we should be doing. If the “homegrown” talent can’t deliver what the coach expects, go out and find someone who can. Highly proactive. 

I agree with this. But more importantly, CAP

13 minutes ago, Pears said:

Whenever draft picks are involved the majority of this fanbase most of the time doesn't care about what we're getting in return, they just focus their anger on the fact a draft pick was traded and proceed to lose their shit about it. 

I’m totally for the trade and think it’s a great investment/asset for a 5th.

That said, would prefer to see us trading from our surplus of existing W contracts but I anticipate that will likely occur further into the season at a more opportune time. 

Maybe we’ll see something like a 5th being returned if Rathbone dealt to a team like BOS who will be searching for potential options to rebuild their D depth around once they trade out Forbort and/or Gryzlcek. Sometimes it’s all about the timing and cap position. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

It wouldn't be CFF without 25 pages on a 4th liner. This isn't a deal that moves the needle much, but probably more than most of the prospects we can get in the 5th round. We've definitely had some players not quite impress so far so I don't mind the low risk gamble.

In the end, this doesn't make or break our contender status, so let's just see how it goes.

What makes you think he is a 4th liner? He has more goals/assists and points in the NHL than PDG. 

Sometimes a 4th liner on Toronto or Pittsburgh is just a guy that never got a chance to show what he can do. I bet Tocc knows what this guy can do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

What did T.O. pay for him?

I know, I know, your point is... This team isn't good enough now to use picks to attempt to improve now.  Save them for when we're competitive....

So my question to you is, how do we get competitive?  Hmmmm? 

Wait for Willander to get here?  Hope that Podz turns it around and becomes an impact player this season on the big club?  Maybe Högs really takes the next step and rides shotgun with Petey? 

Look, I get it, but Petey's watching.... He wants to win.  All these guys have gone through so much shit over the past number of years....

Waiting is not a option.  They ARE going for it now.  The management wants that and so do these players.  They're DONE losing. 

So, yah they probably won't win the cup this year.... But they will be harder to play against.  They will play within a structure that gives them a chance to win every game.  They do have a #1 center, #1 defenceman, and a #1 healthy goalie.... And NOW they have some solid, skill, grit, speed, experience and size to support and compiment our core. 

The time is now... Or Petey will time his ass out of here as early as next season.  Might as well rebuild if he's not staying...

So what were you saying about that 5th round pick?

If EP40 is worried about the 5th round pick then I'm worried. Pretty sure he appreciates all the help we can get.

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

No you can’t get more ltir if another player gets injured. If we start the season at 86mil. 86mil is all you get. If boeser is injured and goes on ltir. Our cap hit remains at 86mil because ltir doesn’t remove the cap, nor does boesers ltir gets added to our 86mil. It remains at 86mil no matter how many players you add to ltir. That’s why teams are either trying to get below or exactly at the ltir amount. Otherwise why do you need to be exactly at the ltir amount to maximize? If you think additional ltir player will just add to the amount of ltir relief we already have? The ltir pool can not exceed the amount you are over the cap by in opening day. If say we are over by 2.5mil our ltir pool for the season can not exceed that amount. Say if poolman comes off ltir and we put boeser on ltir. Boesers ltir relief is only going to be 2.5mil not the 6.75mil

really depends on how you interpret it. Say even if we still get some ltir relief. It’ll most likely be u get 2.5mil additional relief on top of the 2.5 instead of 6.75 on top of the 2.5

That just isn’t true.  They maximize the LTIR for that one player… it is entirely independent of other injuries.

If you are $2 million under the cap and get a $4 million LTIR injury, you only get $2 million LTIR space.  If you are at the cap, you get $4 million in LTIR relief.

Once you are in LTIR and over the cap, any further injuries get you more full LTIR relief.  If you are $2 million into LTIR and get another LTIR for $6 million… you get another $6 million.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

Wasn't some folks on CFF wanting to trade our 1st round pick this year to get a solid winger or defenceman?

Sorry guys. Myers, Boeser, Garland, Beau are not going to get you what you want, because no one has cap space.

Maybe at the trade deadline, some minor deals might happen.

Management is going to look for value signings from the bargain bin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I know, I know, your point is... This team isn't good enough now to use picks to attempt to improve now.  Save them for when we're competitive....

Wait for Willander to get here?  Hope that Podz turns it around and becomes an impact player this season on the big club?  Maybe Högs really takes the next step and rides shotgun with Petey? 

Look, I get it, but Petey's watching.... He wants to win.  All these guys have gone through so much shit over the past number of years....

Waiting is not a option.  They ARE going for it now.  The management wants that and so do these players.  They're DONE losing. 

So, yah they probably won't win the cup this year.... But they will be harder to play against.  They will play within a structure that gives them a chance to win every game.  They do have a #1 center, #1 defenceman, and a #1 healthy goalie.... And NOW they have some solid, skill, grit, speed, experience and size to support and compiment our core. 

The time is now... Or Petey will time his ass out of here as early as next season.  Might as well rebuild if he's not staying...

How do we get competitive? By drafting and developing players. Use cap space more wisely. Make smarter trades.

They're done losing? No, no they're not. You shouldn't "go for it" until you're a contender. We haven't even been a playoff team in recent years. Such a long way to go before we should be having the go for it mentality.

If Petey needs us to buy depth players to make him stay, then that's concerning. I can't help but think that if he wants to win, he'd rather see management making moves to build a cup contender, rather than the first round exit we're building up to be.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Pears said:

Whenever draft picks are involved the majority of this fanbase most of the time doesn't care about what we're getting in return, they just focus their anger on the fact a draft pick was traded and proceed to lose their shit about it. 

Then the response should be

how many 5th rounders do anything / amount to anything in the NHL let alone on the Canucks 

magic beans lol

25 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

For sure. And we shouldn’t be waiting on players anyhow, save for our recent (2-3 years) draft picks and college FAs. We should strive to become a club where players have to play up and evolve their game in strides to make the big club and truly take advantage of any opportunity to cement themselves as a viable option when they get there.

What I think some folks fail to grasp about the preseason this year was to do exactly that…see what we have in org depth and take a hard look at who has value in what capacity and whom we basically need to move on from or make expendable. 

I hate to say it but Podz hasnt shown very much to have earned a regular roster spot thus far and has now been replaced for the coming season (barring any injuries and his game basically taking a major step forward). He is the prime example of waiting for a player to hopefully ascend to expectation and in that timeframe - to a degree - handicapping the team because said player hasnt matured enough to meet the challenge nor has enough depth of experience in the AHL or elsewhere to maintain their placement.

There is nothing wrong with marinating guys on the farm while continually upgrading the main roster.

This is how you build a successful club, and how you also organically develop the cream of your crop of prospective/next gen talent. You make them hungry to earn their place and remain there, rather than gift them a spot for them to only potentially lose. 

Im thankful we aren’t just gift wrapping spots for guys like Joshua and Aman and instead are actively looking to restructure above their talent levels. Replacing those types with a guy like Lafferty is how we’ll effectively build solid shut down 3/4 lines and establish a brutally potent PK. It’s so refreshing, and sooooo much more promising to see us picking up guys who are earmarked for roles they have shown they excel in.  

F’n Nic Petan in a 4th line defensive role??? Thank God those days appear to be over. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If EP40 is worried about the 5th round pick then I'm worried. Pretty sure he appreciates all the help we can get.

Dude, he was so dejected by the loss of the 5th that he tried out for the Toronto Raptors this weekend.
Hard times.

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

How do we get competitive? By drafting and developing players. Use cap space more wisely. Make smarter trades.

They're done losing? No, no they're not. You shouldn't "go for it" until you're a contender. We haven't even been a playoff team in recent years. Such a long way to go before we should be having the go for it mentality.

If Petey needs us to buy depth players to make him stay, then that's concerning. I can't help but think that if he wants to win, he'd rather see management making moves to build a cup contender, rather than the first round exit we're building up to be.

EP is entering his 6th season with this club and played in 325 regular season games thus far.

He’s played in approximately 17 playoff games in 6 years…and that was over 4 seasons ago.

No offense, but he’s a highly competitive player and that combined with what I mention above makes me think you have the wrong impression of what he might want.

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 2