(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

7 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

I don't know. A remember about 80 pages of outrage over losing Frankie Corrado on waivers to Toronto.  That was a pretty low point 

Well Corrado *DID* look a fair bit more than just passable in the post-season against the Flames as a Canuck so it wasn't just a case of a lottery scratch ticket (like a 5th round pick is).

13 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

If you had added one more "the year before that" comment, my answer would have been Hughes, Edler, and Tanev........which unsurprisingly, was the last time we made the playoffs.  

Canucks still need another 2B/3 calibre defenseman otherwise a lot of things will need to go right just to make the playoffs.  

1. Hughes

2. Hronek

3. MIA

4. Soucy

5. Cole

5B/6.  Myers, McWard, Hirose, Wolanin, etc., etc.  

Hughes-MIA

Soucy-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Is what our defense should look like.   Cole nor Soucy should be playing with Hughes.  

Think the coaches were trying to see how well things would work with QHs and McWard because he's that good. 

We can't afford an injury as things are right now.    Not a big one anyways.   Lumme managed fine with Glynn when Murzyn went down ... think that's the reasoning behind trying guys out in practice and McWard with QHs this pre-season.   Is he good enough to carry a top pairing mostly on his own?    Not sure how things will go, but it's sure better then when Edler or Tanev went down,  and Stecher or Del Zotto or Hutton or whomever had to step up too.  Baby steps.   Adding Myers and Miller was enough Sedin post one.     Hopefully the bandaids, Soucy and Hronek will be enough this year. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

If you had added one more "the year before that" comment, my answer would have been Hughes, Edler, and Tanev........which unsurprisingly, was the last time we made the playoffs.  

Canucks still need another 2B/3 calibre defenseman otherwise a lot of things will need to go right just to make the playoffs.  

1. Hughes

2. Hronek

3. MIA

4. Soucy

5. Cole

5B/6.  Myers, McWard, Hirose, Wolanin, etc., etc.  

Hughes-MIA

Soucy-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Is what our defense should look like.   Cole nor Soucy should be playing with Hughes.  

Oh... I agree entirely.  My point is, the ink on the contracts of cole and soucy haven't even had a chance to dry and haven't even played a game for the nucks and you're already being an Eor. 

The D is better than it has been in years based in the fact that... Well, it couldn't get much worse lol! 

Now you just brought up Edler and Tanev.  Let's face it... Losing Tanev was another really bad Benning move BUT with the canucks anyway, he was lucky to play 50 games a season... And Eagle... Warrior and long standing loyal canuck.... Who's best days were behind him by quite a few years.  So to my point, though this defence is still in need of improvement.... (Don't think anyone here would argue that).  Is still much improved from the last few years.... And it remains to be seen (to your point) if they are better than the last year of Tanev and Edler with Hughes.  My bets on these guys this year.  We also have better depth to go along with the improved top 6-7 D.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NucksRuleYou said:

We didn't trade a pick for Studnicka.

Not technically, but Myrenberg was a very recent 5th round pick. If anything you could argue his stock had actually increased in his short time with the organization and he was probably worth a little more then the 5th we invested to get him.

But sure, if we are going to talk semantics, you are correct. I felt it was pretty self explanatory to just call Myrenberg a 5th though and everyone else understood and accept it without needing explanation.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

14 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Oh... I agree entirely.  My point is, the ink on the contracts of cole and soucy haven't even had a chance to dry and haven't even played a game for the nucks and you're already being an Eor. 

The D is better than it has been in years based in the fact that... Well, it couldn't get much worse lol! 

Now you just brought up Edler and Tanev.  Let's face it... Losing Tanev was another really bad Benning move BUT with the canucks anyway, he was lucky to play 50 games a season... And Eagle... Warrior and long standing loyal canuck.... Who's best days were behind him by quite a few years.  So to my point, though this defence is still in need of improvement.... (Don't think anyone here would argue that).  Is still much improved from the last few years.... And it remains to be seen (to your point) if they are better than the last year of Tanev and Edler with Hughes.  My bets on these guys this year.  We also have better depth to go along with the improved top 6-7 D.

To be fair, 50 games of Tanev is worth >>>>>>>>>>>>>> more than 80 games of most defensemen acquired by Jim Benning not named Hughes in *SEVEN* years.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, 50 games of Tanev is worth >>>>>>>>>>>>>> more than 80 games of most defensemen acquired by Jim Benning not named Hughes in *SEVEN* years.

Absolutely... It's just those other 32 games... Ouch!  Who were the guys filling in for Tanman when he was out?  God Benning and Weisboro were so damn bad at their jobs!

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Absolutely... It's just those other 32 games... Ouch!  Who were the guys filling in for Tanman when he was out?  God Benning and Weisboro were so damn bad at their jobs!

Yeah I still can't get my head around how that management crew could acquire/draft a solid core but do very little to surround those players with a decent supporting cast.  You'd think that would be the easier part of the job.

This current management at least addressed a very real need going back when Tanman was released as Hronek is look pretty good.  Add just one more and that blueline, while not the best, will be more the respectible.  Maybe see Demko being a Vezina candidate not too long after that.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

ill tell you the reason why... its because he is about as good as any 13th forward your gonna get and they allow us to maximize our cap somehow. we are going for the playoffs this year, whether you like it or not. Its very likely we trade away players like pods,hogs,myers, and any other young player that may have value and draft picks later down the line too... Myers 6 million is going to buy us a all star

6 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

ill tell you the reason why... its because he is about as good as any 13th forward your gonna get and they allow us to maximize our cap somehow. we are going for the playoffs this year, whether you like it or not. Its very likely we trade away players like pods,hogs,myers, and any other young player that may have value and draft picks later down the line too... Myers 6 million is going to buy us a all star

Other GM's have eyes. And the reason Canucks fans want Myers gone (salary aside) is the same reason other GM's will probably not pull the trigger. Unless he has a career year, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him. As much as I like Podz. The best thing for him would be to trade him to Carolina. Coach Rod would make sure he's in shape, and would give him the direction and coaching he needs.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Other GM's have eyes. And the reason Canucks fans want Myers gone (salary aside) is the same reason other GM's will probably not pull the trigger. Unless he has a career year, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him. As much as I like Podz. The best thing for him would be to trade him to Carolina. Coach Rod would make sure he's in shape, and would give him the direction and coaching he needs.

when myers is making less than half the other players out there his huge cap hit is not going to be an issue 65% through the season, he's going to be easy to offload imo. some team is going to have some injury and the gm will be like f'it whats it gonna cost me a few dollars... sure why not...

3 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

when myers is making less than half the other players out there his huge cap hit is not going to be an issue 65% through the season, he's going to be easy to offload imo. some team is going to have some injury and the gm will be like f'it whats it gonna cost me a few dollars... sure why not...

Other GM's also want to win a cup. And just because a player is cheap, they don't want a defensive liability. So I'd temper your expectations.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Other GM's also want to win a cup. And just because a player is cheap, they don't want a defensive liability. So I'd temper your expectations.

Our biggest problem is Myers, is we have asked him to be something he isn't. We've more or less, always asked him to play a sturdy 2 way game, where previous to that he was given a longer run to be his more offensive free wheeling self. It was a mismatch from day 1 and we have never found a good partner for him. I could actually see him doing well with Cole.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Our biggest problem is Myers, is we have asked him to be something he isn't. We've more or less, always asked him to play a sturdy 2 way game, where previous to that he was given a longer run to be his more offensive free wheeling self. It was a mismatch from day 1 and we have never found a good partner for him. I could actually see him doing well with Cole.

I think your bang on.  Myers may have his best year with the nucks... Not that's all that hard lol!  But to your point, Cole would allow Myers to be his creative chaos giraffe self at it's best.  He can be a game changer.... Just need it to be positive.  Cole could really help that be possible.  It's a big ask but also... This is his contract year.  IF... and it's a big if, he can get into a role better suited for his skill set, he may actually be an asset to this team.  Chances are low but stranger thinga have happened.

• Tank 1

As I think about this trade more I am ok with it, our bottom six has been pretty bad. 

so now with a basically a rebuilt bottom six we might be able to get an identity there 

last couple years our bottom six didn’t really score,hit, fight …. Nothin 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Grinch said:

As I think about this trade more I am ok with it, our bottom six has been pretty bad. 

so now with a basically a rebuilt bottom six we might be able to get an identity there 

last couple years our bottom six didn’t really score,hit, fight …. Nothin 

having a RHC to take faceoffs during PKs was a hole we had. So at least thats dealt with. Sounds like he's got other tools as well so we'll see. So much depends on coaching and deployment, etc. but its hard not to see this as an upgrade.

I'm starting to like our depth in the bottom 6 and no one is overpaid, expect maybe AB if he ends up on the 3rd line somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I just don't understand how they are going to get another top dman and big physical power forward without having the assets to trade for them. This is why I have a hard time seeing them be contenders anytime soon. Look how many forwards they have that no one wants to trade for. It's very worrying. It still feels like we are very stuck and the road is leaning toward a full rebuild unless ownership doesn't mind mediocrity which history has proven it doesn't. If they were really serious about being a  contender one day then  they would have gone full rebuild a coupe of years ago. It really feels like an ownership group that likes to cut corners. I wish I could get behind the Aquilini's. It would be nice to have an owner you could really back. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I just don't understand how they are going to get another top dman and big physical power forward without having the assets to trade for them.

we have to wait for Podz to develop into that. 

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This is why I have a hard time seeing them be contenders anytime soon. Look how many forwards they have that no one wants to trade for. It's very worrying.

again, need to wait. Myers is done this year so thats 6 mil to upgrade with. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we have to wait for Podz to develop into that. 

again, need to wait. Myers is done this year so thats 6 mil to upgrade with. 

Not unreasonable to expect we need about 20M in cap  space for Hronek and EP.  So not really that much available, a lot of other UFAs/RFAs too. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Not unreasonable to expect we need about 20M in cap  space for Hronek and EP.  So not really that much available, a lot of other UFAs/RFAs too. 

true. We need some of our cheapie ELCs/bridges to step up while still affordable - Podz, Aman, Raty, Hirose and maybe Woo in particular to be able to afford more top 4 d talent. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

true. We need some of our cheapie ELCs/bridges to step up while still affordable - Podz, Aman, Raty, Hirose and maybe Woo in particular to be able to afford more top 4 d talent. 

I hope they stick Podz and Raty together for the whole season. That could be a great pair to come in late or next year. Put Suter on their wing and that is potentially solid nasty third line. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2