(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

Disagree on the opinion part. If you make a statement like, Canucks will make the playoffs, that's much different then in my opinion the Canucks will make the playoffs. One implies it's the most likely outcome that Canucks will make the playoffs, and one if purely based off opinion. Clarifying that something is just your opinion is the easiest way to distinguish between an subjective and objective statement through text.

I agree with you about distinguishing between subjective and objective in that context. I don't believe clarification or qualifying your opinion is always necessary.

Can the offseason end soon?  I just read all 32 pages of a thread about Sam Lafferty!  People are not only upset about it but willing to argue for pages on here about it. Is he a plug? Yeah, kind of. Is he a useful plug? Yeah, kind of. Is he an upgrade over what we would otherwise have on our fourth line? I would say yes…he is. He fits into our cap debacle, is on an expiring contract , takes draws right handed, fights occasionally and only cost a fifth. If the rails come off before the deadline there is a decent chance that we can recoup a fourth for him or at least the fifth. We spent to get him here. Leafs fans don’t seem happy with the return so I am going to call this a very small win. If this guy lands one decent hit on McWhiner in the opener he will be a fan favorite all year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm a little surprised they didn't put in a claim on Bogosian or Coghlan, seemed like a couple good RH options to help round out the lineup.

I think their number one focus is maximizing Poolmans LTIR space. The roster moves they made yesterday solidified that to the point that we can use pretty much all of it.

With 2.5 mil we could go out and get an actual upgrade through a trade. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think their number one focus is maximizing Poolmans LTIR space. The roster moves they made yesterday solidified that to the point that we can use pretty much all of it.

With 2.5 mil we could go out and get an actual upgrade through a trade. 

Yeah that makes sense, I bet they are planning on bringing Ethan Bear back.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah that makes sense, I bet they are planning on bringing Ethan Bear back.

Yea I think that’s a definite possibility although I’m not sure they’re willing to wait till December.

I think we see a move before then.

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

So basically Allvin has gotten Beauvillier, Raty & Hronek (maybe Bloom) for BO and a second 
I dont think anyone else on the list will push for top 6 forward or top 4 d pair.

Also out... $16+ in future dead cap space.

So we swapped Hronek for Horvat... the rest is just random replaceable bottom of the lineup players.

Edited by Provost

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

More or less. The distinction between what you can prove through compiling data and what you feel to be true through experience. In this case, when the majority of players a team signs in the offseason have a primary characteristic of being tough to play against, it's a completely reasonable assumption that was the intended task. If your opinion those players aren't hard to play against, that's a subjective opinion vs looking at their hit totals and seeing they were all in the top percentile if their team, which is objective. 

Research is kinda fun... 

Ergo, so are prickly bitches?

3 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

And therein lies the rub, that is really all he has brought so far, and there are oodles of guys in the show that do that, even Studnicka did, and he is waiver fodder.

Studnicka was over rated.

Not really a good hitter. Didn't scare anyone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

40 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

So basically Allvin has gotten Beauvillier, Raty & Hronek (maybe Bloom) for BO and a second 
I dont think anyone else on the list will push for top 6 forward or top 4 d pair.

Dumping the elephant was a win by itself. Getting Hronrk, Beau, and Raty was a remarkable outcome for us. Ranks as one of our best trades ever. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

Can the offseason end soon?  I just read all 32 pages of a thread about Sam Lafferty!  People are not only upset about it but willing to argue for pages on here about it. Is he a plug? Yeah, kind of. Is he a useful plug? Yeah, kind of. Is he an upgrade over what we would otherwise have on our fourth line? I would say yes…he is. He fits into our cap debacle, is on an expiring contract , takes draws right handed, fights occasionally and only cost a fifth. If the rails come off before the deadline there is a decent chance that we can recoup a fourth for him or at least the fifth. We spent to get him here. Leafs fans don’t seem happy with the return so I am going to call this a very small win. If this guy lands one decent hit on McWhiner in the opener he will be a fan favorite all year. 

I'd rather seem him run Kadri, but otherwise, I agree.

In my subjective opinion of what I think, I think Canuck fans are going to like Sam Lafferty a lot.

• Cheers 3

12 hours ago, KingRaj91 said:

I’m usually a pretty casual scroller but i couldn’t skip past this comment… brock for bogosian? U gotta be kidding me man hahaha

Brock never plays a full season.Hasn't been the player we thought.Over paid by a lot .

On TBL he might just get the 30 goals.

We get another RHD vet that hits and is big.

To we if we could work a trade like that work we would be better.

20 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I'd rather seem him run Kadri, but otherwise, I agree.

In my subjective opinion of what I think, I think Canuck fans are going to like Sam Lafferty a lot.

I can get behind this 100%. I will gladly give up a fifth just to know that someone on the team has the foot speed, size and ability to take Kadri out in a corner. May not “move the needle” but it would be something to cheer for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

Exactly, way to much consternation here. Simple trade based on the hockey opinion of the people paid to make those decisions. Let's see what we got. Way to much complaining about nothing.

• Upvote 2