(Trade) Sam Lafferty to Vancouver

Just now, Jester13 said:

I'm struggling to see how anyone doesn't see this trade as a big win for us.

I think this perception is a matter of a couple things. 
This myth that we have great forward depth now even though much of that depth flopped in camp. 
The fact that there is a bigger, massive, persistent hole in our lineup next to Quinn. 
It is not so much the loss of the fifth rounder as the stream of pics that constantly seem to be going out on a non-playoff team. 
We definitely needed a RH Centre, prior to this trade we had exactly zero on the club. 
He brings size and speed on the wing if he plays there which is something we are a little short on. 
He is a good PKer.  For a team that looks like it is really going to struggle to score 5 on 5 that is very important. 
I am not convinced he is much better than waiver level but he definitely fills a need. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Master Mind said:

Adding prospects means better chance of stronger prospect pool.

Weird how this simple concept is not understood by so many.

Weird how you endlessly whine about a fifth round pick. Name me an impact player from the last draft in the fifth round right now, I’ll wait. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If later picks were worthless, the other team wouldn't be asking for a pick back, but would just trade for 'future considerations"

They’re not worthless per se, just not worth crying over. There is a difference. 

Whereas if we were to trade say Studnicka for a 5th in return my response would in turn be huh, neat. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Master Mind said:

Surely you've been following the NHL long enough to know that prospects take time to develop.

Or, in most cases, they don't develop into an NHLer, especially the case after the 2nd or 3rd round.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Weird how you endlessly whine about a fifth round pick. Name me an impact player from the last draft in the fifth round right now, I’ll wait. 

I'll just quickly chime in while the price was cheap. I'm not necessarily sure we needed that. I thought we had more than enough forwards but a lot of them did show very little in camp. I don't think it's fair to ask who was the last impact player because I don't think we really received an impact player. That being said, there is good players that come out of the later rounds but the odds are quite low.

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think this perception is a matter of a couple things. 
This myth that we have great forward depth now even though much of that depth flopped in camp. 
The fact that there is a bigger, massive, persistent hole in our lineup next to Quinn. 
It is not so much the loss of the fifth rounder as the stream of pics that constantly seem to be going out on a non-playoff team. 
We definitely needed a RH Centre, prior to this trade we had exactly zero on the club. 
He brings size and speed on the wing if he plays there which is something we are a little short on. 
He is a good PKer.  For a team that looks like it is really going to struggle to score 5 on 5 that is very important. 
I am not convinced he is much better than waiver level but he definitely fills a need. 

Granted, we haven't been playoff team, but we're sure looking like one now. We're becoming a very tough and annoying team to play against, which is exactly what you need to win games in the regular season and playoffs. Teams now need to find a way to get passed our stingy defence, and then they have Demko to go through. Laff is a big upgrade over guys like Studs and Hogs. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1