[Waivers] October 8, 2023

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully.

None of these claims would have moved the needle much but I feel like there was some opportunities for upgrades especially in the size and toughness department.

But you’re right I think maximizing LTIR is the most important thing. I think they already have Bear in their plans so they’ll need cap space for him.

Hoping there's a trade in the works as well... 

Just now, Odd. said:

Myers as your top 4 defenseman is catastrophically terrible.

He was going to be regardless of if we made a claim or not. So not sure why thats relevant to this thread.

Unless you actually thought Coghlan was going to slot into the top 4. 😂

• Cheers 4

Just now, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Yes, although Carolina may be thinking the same thing.

Well they were willing to let 31 other teams take him for free so maybe they’re not as high on him as you think.

Sending someone like Rathbone their way might work for both sides.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Myers as your top 4 defenseman is catastrophically terrible.

Obviously Myers is not long-term plan material but.....he is more of an offensive dman so being paired with Cole might allow him to play to his strengths unlike years past. Additionally, he is a UFA so there he is incentivized to play better. Again, not a long-term solution but hopefully some fairy dust for one year.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He was going to be regardless of if we made a claim or not. So not sure why thats relevant to this thread.

Unless you actually thought Coghlan was going to slot into the top 4. 😂

We don’t need an actual top 4 defenseman to play with Hughes. You do realize that. It would be nice, but we aren’t exactly there yet.

we need someone who is capable defensively and can at least hold their own to be able to play with Hughes. Myers hasn’t worked with Hughes every time they tried it which is why you don’t see Myers slotting beside Hughes. Myers can’t play defense and needs someone like Cole or Soucy to baby sit him.

Juulsen can’t process the game at an adequate NHL level which is why he’s not exactly an option right now to play with Hughes. McWard is a cool story but he’s far from NHL ready.

Coghlan is terrible so I’m glad we didn’t go that route. I’m hoping we can make a trade for Fabbro, Pachal, Korczak, or Kovacevic or someone that can play defense at an acceptable level.

Edited by Odd.

so as far as i can tell brisebois can be placed on SOIR at a cap hit of 233,333... but it doesnt help the math... i think maybe joshua gets traded... or brisebois gets sent down... and we do it last minute

Edited by Dankmemes187

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

We don’t need an actual top 4 defenseman to play with Hughes. You do realize that. It would be nice, but we aren’t exactly there yet.

we need someone who is capable defensively and can at least hold their own to be able to play with Hughes. Myers hasn’t worked with Hughes every time they tried it which is why you don’t see Myers slotting beside Hughes. Myers can’t play defense and needs someone like Cole or Soucy to baby sit him.

Juulsen can’t process the game at an adequate NHL level which is why he’s not exactly an option right now to play with Hughes. McWard is a cool story but he’s far from NHL ready.

Coghlan is terrible so I’m glad we didn’t go that route. I’m hoping we can make a trade for Fabbro, Pachal, Korczak, or Kovacevic or someone that can play defense at an acceptable level.

I don’t think he’s terrible but he’s not ready for top pairing even with Hughes.

I agree though we need an upgrade to the top 4.

15 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Obviously Myers is not long-term plan material but.....he is more of an offensive dman so being paired with Cole might allow him to play to his strengths unlike years past. Additionally, he is a UFA so there he is incentivized to play better. Again, not a long-term solution but hopefully some fairy dust for one year.

The goal is to push Myers as far down as you can. Our depth guys (Wolanin, Brisebois, McWard (needs AHL time), and Juulsen) have shown they are not capable of playing regular minutes which is why you have Wolanin sent down (only reason Brisebois is up right now is because of his injury). To have one of these depth players playing high up with Hughes is the main problem. 

The thing is, waiver wires are just that. They’re other teams expendable pieces that couldn’t crack their line up so we’d then be hoping that they somehow become NHL’ers for us. they’re not any better than what we already have as depth.

A trade for a legitimate defenseman should be the priority. They don’t have to be top 4 guys. But rather guys who are maybe #5-6 and can play up the line up in a more temporary role such as playing with Hughes for example. Schenn by no means is a top 4 defenseman on a playoff team but he is a solid NHL veteran who knows how to play defense and can be trusted to play higher up in the defensive group.

Myers has shown he’s neither of that and the only reason why he remains in the line up is because 1. Nobody wants him at his contract. 2. We have no other defenseman with nearly the amount of experience he has which is why he’s forced into the line up. 3. He’s right handed. Myers is not in the line up because he’s good defenseman.

Edited by Odd.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Vegas has a couple injuries on D, so not sure if these two will be traded

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well they were willing to let 31 other teams take him for free so maybe they’re not as high on him as you think.

Sending someone like Rathbone their way might work for both sides.

They likely had little choice but to put him on waivers, but probably also hoped that they wouldn't lose him.  Similar to when we have to put our younger players on waivers.