[Waivers] October 8, 2023

7 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Management showing a lot of faith in Hirose, McWard, Juulsen.  And why not, I guess.  

Besides being a little on the small side our depth guys are probably every bit as good as some other team’s depth guys.

We'll see... Hope so.  Definitely heading in the right direction anyway.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Must be a deal coming through. There's no way we go with that RD depth to open up the season.

Sure hope you're right!! I'm not sold yet on McWard or Juulsen...

Damn it... Flames picked up Greer... We need more size and toughness!!

54 minutes ago, Odd. said:

The goal is to push Myers as far down as you can. Our depth guys (Wolanin, Brisebois, McWard (needs AHL time), and Juulsen) have shown they are not capable of playing regular minutes which is why you have Wolanin sent down (only reason Brisebois is up right now is because of his injury). To have one of these depth players playing high up with Hughes is the main problem. 

The thing is, waiver wires are just that. They’re other teams expendable pieces that couldn’t crack their line up so we’d then be hoping that they somehow become NHL’ers for us. they’re not any better than what we already have as depth.

A trade for a legitimate defenseman should be the priority. They don’t have to be top 4 guys. But rather guys who are maybe #5-6 and can play up the line up in a more temporary role such as playing with Hughes for example. Schenn by no means is a top 4 defenseman on a playoff team but he is a solid NHL veteran who knows how to play defense and can be trusted to play higher up in the defensive group.

Myers has shown he’s neither of that and the only reason why he remains in the line up is because 1. Nobody wants him at his contract. 2. We have no other defenseman with nearly the amount of experience he has which is why he’s forced into the line up. 3. He’s right handed. Myers is not in the line up because he’s good defenseman.

Not a fan of Myers but think this is a little overstated. If the team proves they can play with better structure, Myers has the chance to be a  steady/average #4 (given it is a UFA year, etc.). I wouldn't bank on him for more than one year but he has the chance to be serviceable this year or at least until the TDL.

16 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Not a fan of Myers but think this is a little overstated. If the team proves they can play with better structure, Myers has the chance to be a  steady/average #4 (given it is a UFA year, etc.). I wouldn't bank on him for more than one year but he has the chance to be serviceable this year or at least until the TDL.

My “hot take” from the old CDC was a Myers bounce back.. and if he lines up with Cole I like his chances even more.

He’s been good (in matchup roles no less) when paired with a veteran LD who’s good in their own zone.  He’s still the chaos giraffe but I think positive chaos will win out.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Ya I'm surprised they didn't put in a claim on either Bogo or Coghlan, seemed like a clear & easy upgrade on the likes of Juulsen/McWard/Brisebois.

Maybe they have something else cooking, or just can't make it work contract wise

Maybe Alvin is on the phone looking to see if a trade could get us one of them.

I hope he is talking to them, would be nice to see one more trade getting us a RHD for a good price besides picks.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Ross Johnston > AJ Greer 

God I hope we put a claim in for Johnston, he's exactly what this team needs. 

I too want a fearsome tough guy... The last time we got one remotely like him was Tom Sestito but he lost most of his fights.

I'll take RJ over Aman please.... But Tocchet seems to love Aman lots.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

could be right, in which case we’ve still improved about 50% of or D, bottom 6, and added a backup goalie

Rome wasn’t built in a day. With Blueger and Rafferty I think we have the best 4th line we’ve had in our last 12 years. 

With Cole and Soucy we’ve added two solid defensive dmen. And with DeSmith we’ve added an experienced backup. 

The jury is still out on our 3rd line. Same with having PDG in our top 6. And we are still short a RHD. 

Eventually those positions can be taken with our prospects.  But that is still 1-2 years away. Until then we will continue to fill the gaps. 

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day. With Blueger and Rafferty I think we have the best 4th line we’ve had in our last 12 years. 

With Cole and Soucy we’ve added two solid defensive dmen. And with DeSmith we’ve added an experienced backup. 

The jury is still out on our 3rd line. Same with having PDG in our top 6. And we are still short a RHD. 

Eventually those positions can be taken with our prospects.  But that is still 1-2 years away. Until then we will continue to fill the gaps. 

Yeah, our third line seems unintentional with Suter +misfit top 6 wingers. It’s great to have that scoring depth for injuries, but curious if they can form a useful identity as a trio. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Johnston Blueger Lafferty

Now that’s a fourth line! No more pretenders being asked to fill a role they’re not capable of.

59 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Ross Johnston > AJ Greer 

God I hope we put a claim in for Johnston, he's exactly what this team needs. 

I think we need to at least try to pick him up. We will all get tired of AJ Greer running our guys when we are playing Calgary…I hate that they picked him up. Johnston would be a great deterrent to that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Ya I'm surprised they didn't put in a claim on either Bogo or Coghlan, seemed like a clear & easy upgrade on the likes of Juulsen/McWard/Brisebois.

Maybe they have something else cooking, or just can't make it work contract wise

Something else = Ethan Bear?

• Cheers 1