Dahlin signs Huge deal

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yep. I'd love to see 8 but it doesn't seem like that ls likely.

It gets him a larger bag, earns him more money overall, and gives him an out if he wants it.

Real talk, if he takes a shorter term deal at 11M or so and ends up being only an 85 point player he's still going to get at least 11M again on his next deal because of the incoming cap increases. Rising cap will inflate 1C prices. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It gets him a larger bag, earns him more money overall, and gives him an out if he wants it.

Real talk, if he takes a shorter term deal at 11M or so and ends up being only an 85 point player he's still going to get at least 11M again on his next deal because of the incoming cap increases. Rising cap will inflate 1C prices. 

I'm curious how long Allvin waits... does he move Petey this tdl if nothing has progressed on an extension? Or is he ok to walk Petey to ufa if no deal is possible. I would think he'd move Petey before his rfa year.

But who knows maybe if Petey gets offered 12x8 he takes it given the risk of waiting.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Who's more important to a team - Dahlin or Petey? Dahlin is a 22+ minute top pairing PPG defenceman still arguably yet to hit his prime. Defends well, not physical, great puck mover and skater. You could argue is/is going to be a top 5 NHL defenceman soon.

Petey is a 100pt two way center. Again, arguably is/will be a top 5 NHL center or close.

I'd usually side with the defenceman but Petey's defensive ability puts him over the edge IMO. Very similar players in all fairness - an offensive defenceman and a defensive forward. I think 11M for both is fair, 11M for a defenceman seems rediculous but is probably what they're worth, they just haven't been getting paid like this ever before. 10M for Dahlin and 11M for Petey sounds better but it's about time defencemen got paid - they're on the ice more and do a lot more than your average forward. Petey isn't your average forward though, he'll be in the Selke (and maybe Hart according to some people) conversation next year.

Compared to Hughes though it's pretty funny but Hughes doesn't defend as well as Dahlin (not by much) and of course signed his deal a lot younger which is a lot more team friendly. Now Quinn is worth 9M easily but I think he'll be a Norris candidate this year so worth a bit more.

Since when is Dahlin not physical? He might not be Luke Schenn, but he holds his own. If I remember correctly he hits about as much as Myers does.

The rest I agree with you though. He plays a different position but is probably a good comparable for Petey in terms of importance to his team and performance within his position. I would personally give Dahlin the slight edge but it's close.

Edited by Diamonds
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Since when is Dahlin not physical? He might not be Luke Schenn, but he holds his own. If I remember correctly he hits about as much as Myers does.

The rest I agree with you though. He plays a different position but is probably a good comparable for Petey in terms of importance to his team and performance within his position. I would personally give Dahlin the slight edge but it's close.

It’s a myth based on him being an “offensive” D and Swedish.  Dahlin absolutely destroys people at times.  The first 2ish minutes of this video would likely come as quite a shock to most.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm curious how long Allvin waits... does he move Petey this tdl if nothing has progressed on an extension? Or is he ok to walk Petey to ufa if no deal is possible. I would think he'd move Petey before his rfa year.

But who knows maybe if Petey gets offered 12x8 he takes it given the risk of waiting.

I don't think there's any way he can move Pettersson if they're actually serious about competing, who are they gonna replace him with long term? Miller? 

They've nobody in the system remotely close to projecting as a 1C, let alone sooner than later, and good luck grabbing one via UFA.

Pettersson has em by the balls. Maybe Pettersson takes term and 12m, but his not having signed by now indicates a willingness to bet on himself.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think there's any way he can move Pettersson if they're actually serious about competing, who are they gonna replace him with long term? Miller? 

They've nobody in the system remotely close to projecting as a 1C, let alone sooner than later, and good luck grabbing one via UFA.

Pettersson has em by the balls. Maybe Pettersson takes term and 12m, but his not having signed by now indicates a willingness to bet on himself.

it would have to be a deal like FLA did with Tkatpuke and Cowgary. 

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Not comparable in anyway shape or form but I don’t think ep will get anything less than 11 now. Considering dahlin is prolly not quite top 5 in his position. Unless he absolutely blows it this year 

Ohhh I dunno about that, as far as a complete dman I would say dahlin is of the best in the league, his defensive play with that mean streak he has well being a near ppg player, I personally think he’s the 2nd best dman in the league to Cale… yes I know that’s an unpopular opinion but pointing out I see what buffalo sees 

Everyone saying this is what Petey is getting now is sadly mistaken. Petey was always getting a minimum of 11 likely 11.5 million per and I highly doubt that's for anything more than a 5 year deal.

The Dahlin signing isn't an overpayment or a steal. I do however see it as slight overpayment for the first few years and a steal for the last few balancing itself out. Fair value contract. IMO

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

it would have to be a deal like FLA did with Tkatpuke and Cowgary. 

Maybe, easier said than done though. If anything Calgary did really well getting what they got imo given the season Huberdeau was coming off.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, easier said than done though. If anything Calgary did really well getting what they got imo given the season Huberdeau was coming off.

for sure, that was a rare one. I'm sure we'll see some proposals as the year goes on if there's no extension. 

• Cheers 1