Dahlin signs Huge deal

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Dahlin is doing everything QH was doing at the same age and is keeping up with hughes in points this season prior to the 5 point game with 10x the hits 3x the blocks? obviously at the current contract Hughes is way better than Dahlin. but skill set wise Dahlin is better. also he doesn't have a EP or Miller to pad his offensive stats.. their top 6 is literally just tage thompson and a bunch of has been.. their top 6 is greenway thompson biro skinner middlestadts peterka.. outside of thompson.. and maybe skinner.. the rest don't even belong in the top 6 in most teams in the league. 

dahlin at 22>hughes at 22

dahlin at 23 = Hughes at 23

dahlin when reach 24 ??? Hughes at 24

while hughes is amazing and is the early favorite for the norris right now.. and the canucks are playing really well in all aspect of the game.. but let's not pretend their schedule plays a big part of it.. the only team we played that haven't been atrocious in their first 10 games are florida tampa philly and new york.. tampa is missing their 10million goalie florida is missing half their defence and we are 1-2-1 against them. i didn't include the oilers since every team is beating up on them except calgary and i specifically said teams that are not terrible in their first 10 games. i love what they are doing right now but i'm still waiting to see how they fare against tougher test starting tonight against dallas.  

and yes age 24 hughes right now is better than age 23 dahlin.. but age 23 dahlin is as good as age 23 hughes and a far less talented offence group and a team with no goalie

Hughes is amazing. Dahlin is good. Big difference in the level of influence on the game with these two. 
Orr and Coffee were amazing. Park and Smith were good. Different level of players. Hughes is in that amazing tier. Dahlin will never get to that level. He’s good, but can’t impact the game like an amazing player. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin and Hughes were both drafted in 2018.  Hughes is a late birthday.  They are only 6 months apart.  Also, Dahlin only had 23 points at age 20.  Hughes had 53 points at the same age.  That's a huge difference.  Hughes PPG is much higher than Dahlin.  But the biggest difference to me is that Hughes is also doing well defensively, not just offensively.  He finally has a partner that he can trust.  Remember, Makar wasn't Makar until Toews arrived.  Same with Hughes.  He has taken another level with Hronek.

Dahlin is a great player and you know how I like my Swedish players, I'm actually more biased than most in regard to Swedish players.  But in this case, Quinn Hughes right now is the best defenceman in the NHL.  He's on pace for 131 points.  Only Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey scored more points than that.

I'm sure Hughes won't be on pace for 131 points for the entire year, but if he continues to play with Hronek I can easily see him getting 100 points this year.  I don't think Dahlin has it in him to even get 80...

oh dont get me wrong with Hughes ends up better than Dahlin i'll gladly eat my words and i'll be happy. they both have different roles. Offensively Hughes>Dahlin no question. defensively Dahlin>Hughes that's also no question. but right now Hughes is playing on a better top 6 than Dahlin is and we won't know the next step in Dahlin's progression until they find him a partner that enables him like Hronek does with hughes. it also helps when your goalie is 2nd in the league in sv above average.. when buffalo's goalie are all in negative.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is amazing. Dahlin is good. Big difference in the level of influence on the game with these two. 
Orr and Coffee were amazing. Park and Smith were good. Different level of players. Hughes is in that amazing tier. Dahlin will never get to that level. He’s good, but can’t impact the game like an amazing player. 

we won't know that until buffalo have a Miller/Pettersson caliber player and a Demko like goalie and for all we know.. that might never happen because they don't grow on tree. Dahlin was definitely impacting the game last season. not so much this season since his top 6 outside of thompson i was like who? and levi is not living up to expectation and now injured.

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

oh dont get me wrong with Hughes ends up better than Dahlin i'll gladly eat my words and i'll be happy. they both have different roles. Offensively Hughes>Dahlin no question. defensively Dahlin>Hughes that's also no question. but right now Hughes is playing on a better top 6 than Dahlin is and we won't know the next step in Dahlin's progression until they find him a partner that enables him like Hronek does with hughes. it also helps when your goalie is 2nd in the league in sv above average.. when buffalo's goalie are all in negative.

Hughes is way better than Dahlin defensively. Just because a D man is elite offensively doesn’t mean they can also be elite defensively. Orr was a plus 100 plsyer. Hughes is like that. Dahlin is no where close to Hughes in any way. He’s a good player, but that’s not close to what Hughes is. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

we won't know that until buffalo have a Miller/Pettersson caliber player and a Demko like goalie and for all we know.. that might never happen because they don't grow on tree. Dahlin was definitely impacting the game last season. not so much this season since his top 6 outside of thompson i was like who? and levi is not living up to expectation and now injured.

It’s not about who these guys play with. Hughes is a phenom. Dahlin is good. Huge difference in the level of player.

Benning did some good things for us. And extending Hughes at that cap allocation was one of them. Super good deal. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is way better than Dahlin defensively. Just because a D man is elite offensively doesn’t mean they can also be elite defensively. Orr was a plus 100 plsyer. Hughes is like that. Dahlin is no where close to Hughes in any way. He’s a good player, but that’s not close to what Hughes is. 

hughes is not better than dahlin defensively.. Hughes hronek and the forwards are good at quickly getting the puck out of their zone and keeping it in the offensive zone doesn't = hughes is better than dahlin defensively.. and when the odd time they get hemmed in their zone?? it usually results in a high danger chance against and bailed out by demko. there's a reason why Hughes defensive stats is looking so good right now.. it's all because of 1 man.. Demko.. he stopped 48 of 49 high danger chance so far this season 5v5 and he's top 3 in high danger chance against at even strength.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Did you really just compare Quinn Hughes to Bobby Orr?

Comparable players with physical abilities are rated higher by most people for good reason.... but..

For a guy like Hughes it's all about his dominance on puck possesion that pushes him towards one of the top players.

So far this year Hughes has been playing keep away all game long with opponents not getting a sniff of the puck... doesn't matter how good another player might be... teams are getting shut down because they don't have the puck half the game...

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:43 AM, RakuRaku said:

I honestly don't know how we can keep Petey, Hughes, Kuzmenko, Demko and Miller long term... Unless we use rookies and AHLers for rest of roster!!

Unless they choose to do anything to be on a winning team; just like the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows did.