Would you trade Lafrieniere for Podz?

yeah. 

don't let the "1st OA" tag fool you.

This kid isn't an elite player let alone a franchise talent that pundits made him out to be. 

I mean, he still can maybe develop into an elite player I guess, but a lot of things would need to go right. He's slow as hell and has minimal effort in his own zone. There are also rumours that he also just doesn't really seem to give a shit when it comes to the offseason prep.

He's talented enough to be a serviceable player that can slot in to a lineup, but he won't singlehandedly change the outcome of the game. 

Podz is a fringe NHLer at this point. So I'd take Laff over Podz.

Edited by HuggyCareBear

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

We will see.  Laf is entering his 4th season and constantly being shopped.  His numbers are not much different than Yakupov's first 3 seasons.

I don’t think he’s ever actually been shopped.

I don’t really see him being like Yakupov. Yakupov wasn’t being buried by a deep team ahead of him. He had every opportunity to earn his spot.

New York had too high of expectations of him if they thought he could find a place on a Stanley cup contender’s top 6. That’s where he needs to be to shine.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I don’t think he’s ever actually been shopped.

I don’t really see him being like Yakupov. Yakupov wasn’t being buried by a deep team ahead of him. He had every opportunity to earn his spot.

New York had too high of expectations of him if they thought he could find a place on a Stanley cup contender’s top 6. That’s where he needs to be to shine.

Laf has had ample opportunity playing with some pretty darn elite talent.  Not sure what situation he needs to start producing.  He has spent time with guys like Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad  etc but has failed to respond.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Laf has had ample opportunity playing with some pretty darn elite talent.  Not sure what situation he needs to start producing.  He has spent time with guys like Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad  etc but has failed to respond.

He’s been shuffled all around the lineup and been in and out of the top 6 constantly. Not a great situation for a young player.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s playing this way to get traded.

If they’re willing to part with him I’d take him in a heartbeat. We have PDG in our top 6 let’s be real here. 😂

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He’s been shuffled all around the lineup and been in and out of the top 6 constantly. Not a great situation for a young player.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s playing this way to get traded.

If they’re willing to part with him I’d take him in a heartbeat. We have PDG in our top 6 let’s be real here. 😂

The fact he's had all those opportunities and still can't produce says a lot.  

TBH, I actually like the chemistry PDG has with Miller.  You don't always need top tier talent in all 3 positions in a forward line for it to be effective (ie. Burrows, Brendan Morrison, etc)

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Last season had 39 in 81 and been trending up, pretty close

0.42 and trending up still much better than 0.28 trending down

He's gonna have to really trend upwards in the next year or two.  If he stays stagnant for another year or two, he's probably gonna be at best a 2nd line forward.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

We will see.  Laf is entering his 4th season and constantly being shopped.  His numbers are not much different than Yakupov's first 3 seasons.

Yakupov played on the top line in Edmonton. Lafreniere is a 3rd liner in New York. Hard to get more than 30+ points on the 3rd line averaging 15 minutes a game with no first unit power play time 

The fact that Lafreniere got almost 40 points last year is quite amazing given his limited ice time. You put him on a line with Miller and Boeser playing 19 minutes a night with first unit PP time and he is probably a 70 point player. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He's gonna have to really trend upwards in the next year or two.  If he stays stagnant for another year or two, he's probably gonna be at best a 2nd line forward.

Not arguing that.  I don’t think he’s going to become a bonifide first liner expected from a 1st overall.

but my response was directed at the guy saying he suck and he’s a reclamation project and not better than Podz.

I think 1v1 him vs Podz it’s a robbery for us.  If he had no value and no use, NYR would’ve dump him by now.

4 hours ago, KingRaj91 said:

Lol no, Podz is a good kid and a solid player, but will take time to develop. Power Forwards always take more time to develop. He will be a key player for us in the future, hard to find guys like that imo

Flashing back on all the arguments people made about Virtanens development 

14 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am just wondering if people would be willing to do this trade?

Victor Soderstrom: 

I would but the Rangers wouldn't.  If you want Lafrenniere, it would cost you Podkolzin AND ???? at minimum in my opinion.  There's only so much Jesus Juice available at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch so to speak.  

Laf *might* be a decent replacement for Kuzmenko in two years if/when Kuzmenko departs for a contender.  

I do have another thought:  If we're thinking about exchanging reclamation projects, then why not take a flier on Victor Soderstrom?  Would the Coyotes be willing to move him for Podz? (a.k.a. the poor man's Artem Chubarov)

On 10/11/2023 at 5:46 AM, Chickenspear said:

Jake has both the work ethic and brains of a stump, though.

It's too bad with Virtanen.

Say what you will about him but the guy netted 18 goals and 18 assists during the 2019/2020 season with mainly 3rd line minutes and very little PP time.  

15-20 years from now when hockey pundits look back on it, Virtanen's 100 point NHL production will likely qualify him as a being a 3rd round calibre hockey player.  So - a bust yes, but not a complete ball sniffer like Olli Juolevi per se.

It's extremely unfortunate that his game took a complete 180  during the covid lockdown but it's the way she goes I guess.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

On 10/10/2023 at 2:53 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

Victor Soderstrom: 

I would but the Rangers wouldn't.  If you want Lafrenniere, it would cost you Podkolzin AND ???? at minimum in my opinion.  There's only so much Jesus Juice available at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch so to speak.  

Laf *might* be a decent replacement for Kuzmenko in two years if/when Kuzmenko departs for a contender.  

I do have another thought:  If we're thinking about exchanging reclamation projects, then why not take a flier on Victor Soderstrom?  Would the Coyotes be willing to move him for Podz? (a.k.a. the poor man's Artem Chubarov)

Yeah, I can't see a Laffy - Podz trade either. 

Soderstrom is interesting.  They were both in the same draft and have struggled adjusting to the NHL.

I really liked Sods in that draft, as he had some outstanding scouting reports. I find it funny that he has

better NHL stats than Broberg, who was selected much earlier (and has nowhere near the d qualities).

I think it would be considered a hockey trade, with both players having potential to make great strides

this season.

• Cheers 1