(Signing) Jets re-sign Mark Scheifele and Connor Hellebuyck

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I was only joking around Snoop. I was hoping @moosehead would see my post and then threaten to kill me. I agree with you on Edmonton though. I live in Calgary and cringe Every time I take the kids up to West Edmonton mall. I hate that city lol

It’s all good. I know it’s not the best city. I’m glad I live in a quiet and peaceful neighborhood though.

• Cheers 2

Somebody in the Dahlin thread said "11 million is the new 8", so does this mean 8 is the new 6? Or would it be 5? I dunno I cant maths well.

I'd say Scheiffle won't age well, but his contract will age less terribly than him. For him, I'd say that on the contract-success spectrum, this falls around a "meh", or perhaps an "I suppose that's okay".

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Don't watch the Jets much, so was surprised to see MS penalties numbers look so good.  I guess that BS hit on Evans in the bubble playoffs stuck so well in my head that I figured he was half star, half goon

4 hours ago, Win2024 said:

That's an overpayment for Schiffle or however you spell it 

He's averaged over a PPG for the last 7 years with the exception of a down year last year yet still scoring 42 goals. The whole team had a down year... I don't think there's a team in the league that wouldn't want this guy especially at that price. Which would you take? Bo or Mark?

• Cheers 1

is it really any different from Miller's contract aside from 1 year difference in age? winnipeg obviously overpaid a bit because it's winnipeg no one wants to stay there. he just came off a career high in goals but almost a career low in assist.. if all goes well he prolly gets back to a ppg assuming he doesn't decline.. and those that'll say he's gonna decline for sure.. ok so what about miller then they are literally the same age their stats are very similar outside of that anolmy 99 point by miller and Schiefele been doing it for a much longer period of his career. this is Jet's final chance to go all in for the push anyways.. by the time this contract reaches it's 5th year they are probably rebuilding anyways.. not that big of a deal.. i mean they gotta do what they have to in order to keep players in winnipeg and keep fan interest up.. i'm not sure Winnipeg can survive a full blown rebuilt that last a decade.

18 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Oof contract but happy for the jets that they kept their core players.

It's the reality of a Canadian market not named Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.   

It will be difficult to retain core players unless you overpay on both term and money.  

Teams like Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg don't bring out the knee pads and lipstick because they're stupid.  It's because the GM's of these teams understand the realities of the Canadian market and player retention.  

The NHL is so bush. Cap? What's the point of a cap if Canadian and some American teams are handicapped with high income taxes. It's not an even playing field. Do you think the low income tax teams would of had to pay as much to retain these players, not a chance.

35 minutes ago, Rekker said:

The NHL is so bush. Cap? What's the point of a cap if Canadian and some American teams are handicapped with high income taxes. It's not an even playing field. Do you think the low income tax teams would of had to pay as much to retain these players, not a chance.

Canada just needs to lower their taxes.

Problem solved!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/10/2023 at 3:50 AM, wai_lai416 said:

is it really any different from Miller's contract aside from 1 year difference in age? winnipeg obviously overpaid a bit because it's winnipeg no one wants to stay there. he just came off a career high in goals but almost a career low in assist.. if all goes well he prolly gets back to a ppg assuming he doesn't decline.. and those that'll say he's gonna decline for sure.. ok so what about miller then they are literally the same age their stats are very similar outside of that anolmy 99 point by miller and Schiefele been doing it for a much longer period of his career. this is Jet's final chance to go all in for the push anyways.. by the time this contract reaches it's 5th year they are probably rebuilding anyways.. not that big of a deal.. i mean they gotta do what they have to in order to keep players in winnipeg and keep fan interest up.. i'm not sure Winnipeg can survive a full blown rebuilt that last a decade.

Completely agree with all your points, however, I think the better franchise move would have been to trade them and start the rebuild now. They aren't winning with this core. Trade them to get exciting young pieces to keep the franchise relevant, but now they will slowly age into obscurity and longer slower rebuild.

6 hours ago, Tower102 said:

Completely agree with all your points, however, I think the better franchise move would have been to trade them and start the rebuild now. They aren't winning with this core. Trade them to get exciting young pieces to keep the franchise relevant, but now they will slowly age into obscurity and longer slower rebuild.

yes i agree they should have rebuild i don't think they are winning with this core.. but can winnipeg survive a rebuild that would take like 8-10 years.. i think they'll keep trying to push for playoff every year until they absolutely can't. i don't think cup is their goal anymore