Opening night lineup.

17 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Not Canucks roster related but BPA at our pick Zachary Benson just made the Sabers opening day roster.

Scoring wingers are the least of my worries right now.

Also having a roster featuring Garland, Hoglander, and Benson just ain’t gonna cut it.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I will take a developing defenceman any day. Willander as long as he stays healthy, is going to be a solid choice.

Here’s hoping they’re right on this one! I do like Willander but I can’t say I’d have made that pick. It could also turn into another Juolevi over Tkachuk.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Scoring wingers are the least of my worries right now.

Also having a roster featuring Garland, Hoglander, and Benson just ain’t gonna cut it.

There was the chance of Benson having enough skill to maybe transition and become a permanent Center at the next level like a Brayden Point type of player.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Here’s hoping they’re right on this one! I do like Willander but I can’t say I’d have made that pick. It could also turn into another Juolevi over Tkachuk.

Benson ain’t Tkachuk I can tell you that.

Tkachuk does things that Benson will never be able to.

Sure he’ll put up points but Tkachuk is a very rare type of player.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

There was the chance of Benson having enough skill to maybe transition and become a permanent Center at the next level like a Brayden Point type of player.

Im not banking on what ifs. 

We need to develop D to ever go anywhere. Won’t matter how many scoring wingers or centers we have.

Buffalo was able to take Benson because they already have Dahlin and Power on D and Thompson and Cozens down the middle. We don’t have that luxury.

Edited by DeNiro

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benson ain’t Tkachuk I can tell you that.

Tkachuk does things that Benson will never be able to.

Sure he’ll put up points but Tkachuk is a very rare type of player.

Well I didn’t mean play like Tkachuk but Benson could become a very productive player and possibly even play center. Giving us ptsd of the most recent time we drafted for position over BPA.

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Well I didn’t mean play like Tkachuk but Benson could become a very productive player and possibly even play center. Giving us ptsd of the most recent time we drafted for position over BPA.

Best player available is subjective.

Bottom line is wingers are much easier to acquire than right hand D. Just because we took one D man that busted doesn’t mean we never should again. There’s a reason why this team has been one of the worst defensive teams for a decade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Kuzy - Petey - Gnarly

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beau - Blue - Laff

Joshua - Suter - Podz (sheltered line)

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Breezer - Juulsen (sheltered pair)

Demko

DeSmith

Myers will have to keep the clutching and grabbing down as much as possible. NHL officials all know he does it (or being such lanky dude, gives the impression 

of it. When he's on, he's decently effective.

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Myers will have to keep the clutching and grabbing down as much as possible. NHL officials all know he does it (or being such lanky dude, gives the impression 

of it. When he's on, he's decently effective.

I think Cole might be able to coach him more than any of his coaches can.

That dude has played with some good partners and seems to have a high IQ.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I will take a developing defenceman any day. Willander as long as he stays healthy, is going to be a solid choice.

Damn right. Not knocking Benson and wish him the best. But Willander is exactly what we need. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Not a fan of two decisions:

1. Love Podz, but he did not play well enough to make the team IMO. Needs to be in Abby.

2. I do not understand Brisebois over Wolanin. I guess they feel he's defensively sound.

Otherwise, it's fairly expected. Podz may go down again once Mikheyev is back.

Podz in the lineup is for bonus overages

will be sent down after first game

Beauvillier (Mikheyev) - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Di Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Suter - Lafferty (Beauvillier)

Aman - Blueger - Joshua (Lafferty)

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Soucy -

Demko

DeSmith

This would be opening night and then lines when Mikheyev comes back. 

My opening day line up would be:

Hoglander - Petey - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Garland- Suter- Beauvillier

Joshua - Blueger - Lafferty 

Hughes - Juulsen

Brisebois- Hronek

Cole - Myers

Spread the talent a bit. Going to be tough opening night against the Oilers. 

27 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

My opening day line up would be:

Hoglander - Petey - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Garland- Suter- Beauvillier

Joshua - Blueger - Lafferty 

Hughes - Juulsen

Brisebois- Hronek

Cole - Myers

Spread the talent a bit. Going to be tough opening night against the Oilers. 

Yeah I think this is how they should probably go, minus the D-Pairs. Maybe replace Breezer with Hirose?

Man that D looks bad - With the Soucy injury, if we take another one, we're gonna be in big trouble.  Demko is really gonna have to stand on his head to give us a chance this year. 

Would have been so great if some of our depth D could have taken a step but preseason didn't seem to suggest that was the case.  That being said maybe the scars of that 10-0 thrashing the depth guys took in G1 are still there, they might be some surprises yet. 🤞

Based on players available per opening post:

Kooz - Pettersson - "Trade Bait" (Beau, Garland, Boes, etc. Showtime)(Would really like to see a top RW for #40)

PDG - JT - Boeser

Hoglander - Blueger - Garland

Joshua - Lafferty - Podkolzin

Beauvillier, Suter

Q - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Cole - Juulsen

Brisbois

Thatch (Natch!)

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

So whatever happened to McWard? I thought they were going to give him a chance. Now all of a sudden Hirose is up. It's a very confusing time on that defense. Really the preseason did nothing to make it clearer. 

Paper transactions yesterday to use LTIR. McWard can be on our top Abby pair if he’s down there. Looks like we will have Hronek and Myers taking the top four minutes. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Paper transactions yesterday to use LTIR. McWard can be on our top Abby pair if he’s down there. Looks like we will have Hronek and Myers taking the top four minutes. 

Yep trying to get as close to the cap as possible and squeeze Podz’s bonus in under the cap so that they can recall him later.  
‘Pretty good job at balancing it too. Got the number perfect last year and 28k short this year. That is really close on $86M. 
‘This probably more than anything is why we didn’t make any claims and maybe more willing to do know that players moved to IR. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

I'm glad podz made the team. What do you guys think about opening night?

FB_IMG_1696885849421.jpg

Low class move by the organization - Danila Klimovich wanted #18 from the beginning but it was taken by more senior players. This season Studnicka switched to #23 and Danila happily got his #18. Now Lafferty shows up and gets this number. The low class is - no one told Danila about it. He learned about it through social media...