[Article] NHL reportedly bans Pride Tape for 2023-24 season

RWJC

32 minutes ago, RWJC said:

NHL Rescinds Ban on Pride Tape During Games and Practices: Reports

Mike Stephens

The NHL walked back its decision to ban players from using Pride Tape in games this season, allowing players the option to represent social causes with stick tape, according to multiple reports.

The NHL's ban on Pride Tape reportedly lasted two weeks into the season. 

Following backlash from fans, players and team staff alike, the league walked back its decision by agreeing with the NHLPA and the NHL Player Inclusion Coalition that players can represent social causes with stick tape throughout the season in games and practices.  Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman first reported the news, and The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun reported a league official confirmed the rumblings. LeBrun's colleague Chris Johnston also reported an official announcement could come shortly.

The news comes two days after Arizona Coyotes defenseman Travis Dermott became the first player to defy the NHL's Pride Tape ban in a game, using the tape on the shaft of his stick in a contest versus the Anaheim Ducks.

“You don’t really want to go against rules that are put in place by your employer, but there are some people who took some positive things from it,” Dermott told PHNX's Craig Morgan of his decision following the game on Saturday. 

“That’s kind of what I’m looking to impact.”

After quietly instituting the ban on Pride Tape in a league-wide memo sent to teams just days before the regular season began, the NHL received criticism from a number of prominent organizations, such as the You Can Play Project and the creators of Pride Tape, with players from multiple different teams also either denouncing the ban or voicing their willingness to defy the rule altogether. 

Given the backlash, many expected the NHL to ultimately reverse its decision at some point in the season. And, with today's reports, that day has likely now come. 

link to rest of article:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/nhl-rescinds-ban-on-pride-tape-during-games-and-practices-reports

Report: NHL, inclusion committee agree to allow Pride Tape

Arun Srinivasan

Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 9:54 AM

In the aftermath of Coyotes defenseman Travis Dermott using Pride Tape, the NHL will give players the option to represent social causes with their stick tape.

The NHL, in conjunction with the NHLPA and the NHL Player Inclusion Committee have agreed to allow players to represent social causes and advocacy through stick tape, an indirect reference to Pride Tape, as first reported bySportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

This is an apparent reversal of the NHL’s ban on Pride Tape, a small gesture of solidarity with LGBTQ+ communities that players have displayed for several seasons. The league received widespread backlash for their original decision, after outlawing Pride-centric practice jerseys for the 2023-24 season.

“It sounds like there’s going to be announcement at some point today between the league, the players’ association and the player inclusion coalition, players will have the option to voluntarily represent social causes with their stick tape throughout the season,” Friedman said to Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek on Tuesday, citing multiple sources.

Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Laughton told reporters on Oct. 11 that he still intends to use Pride Tape despite the league’s ban. Arizona Coyotes defenseman Travis Dermott used Pride Tape during Saturday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.

Dermott also told The Athletic’s Chris Johnston that he won’t be using Pride Tape during Tuesday’s game against the Los Angeles Kings.

“The war’s not over. Definitely not, by any means,” the blueliner told Johnston. “You don’t want to fully back off and zip your mouth up when something like this happens, but you’ve got to find the right game plan to attack it with.

“Where you’re supporting your organization and not making them look bad, and you don’t want to step on the league’s toes and really start a fight with them, but still tell them that I think this stuff’s important.”

The NHL never clarified any punitive action against players who would disobey their ruling. It appears that the league has realized that showing solidarity with  LGBTQ+ communities can be as simple as allowing players to use the multicoloured tape, rather than focusing on the fringe minority of players who disagree with social initiatives in sports.

link to rest of article:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-nhl-inclusion-committee-agree-to-allow-pride-tape-165414078.html

NHL rescinds ban on Pride Tape

The NHL confirmed Tuesday it has rescinding its decision to prevent players from using Pride Tape on ice this season.

The decision comes after Arizona Coyotes defenceman Travis Dermott used the recently-banned Pride Tape on the shaft of his stick in Saturday's matinee game against the Anaheim Ducks.

Dermott told TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston on Monday that he did not plan to continue using Pride Tape after becoming the first player to stand in defiance of a league memo, but planned to use his platform to continue to support the LGBTQ+ community in other ways.

“The war’s not over. Definitely not, by any means,” Dermott said in The Athletic. “You don’t want to fully back off and zip your mouth up when something like this happens, but you’ve got to find the right game plan to attack it with.

“Where you’re supporting your organization and not making them look bad, and you don’t want to step on the league’s toes and really start a fight with them, but still tell them that I think this stuff’s important.”

The Canadian Press reported in early October that the NHL sent a memo to teams clarifying what players can and cannot do as part of theme celebrations this season, including a ban on the use of rainbow-coloured stick tape for Pride nights. 

When asked Saturday if Dermott would be fined or disciplined for going against the ban, the NHL told The Athletic “We will review it in due course," in a statement.

“You can see it as the league’s taking away our voice,” Dermott added to Johnston. “We can’t speak. We don’t have any of this expression anymore. I feel like that’s a valid way to think, and it’s easy to kind of see it that way. A lot of people do, and I’m sure will continue to.

“It’s such a fine line where the league wants to look good and the league wants to support all of these things, but you also don’t want all of the negativity that can come from someone not supporting it and you don’t want to force people who don’t support something to support something, and I completely understand that point of view.

“I can take a step back and see that, hands down, no problem. But at the same time, you’d love for players to still be able to express themselves if they would like. You’d love to still have that.”

Dermott added in The Athletic that he had yet to hear from the league regarding the act.

link to rest of article:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-rescinding-ban-on-pride-tape-1.2025218?tsn-amp

Hahahahahaha!

Right the fuck on!

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Sapper said:

When it was trendy to support pride they jumped full on

When it became acceptable to go anti pride rhey jumped full on

When the world laughed at how petty a tape ban was .... the reversed course full speed 

Moral of the story.... nhl has never really cared about Pride.... they simply are followers chasing the money and will.dlip flop as required to stay with the popular kids view 

Sad really knowing that their support is based solely it seems on public view

It's very disgraceful. The players now know they can push back on the NHL. Dermott did a really good job and he is clearly a leader. I'm not gay and I'm proud of what he stood for.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Giving the players a choice feels like the right thing to do. Are teams still doing theme nights though, just without special jerseys? If there is still a Pride night it’ll be very interesting to see how many players use Pride tape. I suspect most will, and the ones that don’t will have a little explaining to do. 

4 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

If I was a Conservative, which I'm not, I would be disgusted that the emphasis is on a fucking coloured tape.

If I was a Conservative I'd be pissed how the party has been co-opted by MAGA expats and culture wars.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 10/24/2023 at 5:46 PM, DSVII said:

If I was a Conservative I'd be pissed how the party has been co-opted by MAGA expats and culture wars.

thats a real point of weakness with Poilievre that the Libs and NDP will play up when the election does finally roll around. PP gets most of his divisive ideas from the US.

• Cheers 1

On 10/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, Rob Eh said:

I wouldn't care about pride tape unless i was a goalie because it could distract you when they take a shot, especially if you were epileptic.

What they should use the pride tape on is Brad Marchand's mouth.

I don't think you need to have any concern about the first part. Static colors, even if they are on the move have shown to have little to no effect on cortical excitation which is the primary cause of photosensitive epilepsy. 

The flash between multi different colors tend to play a roll on these types of reactions. Blue to red flashes are normally the biggest trigger for most epileptics. I would actually be more concerned with the goal horn then any colors worn by a player.

But agreed about Brad's mouth. Might be able to finally shut his trap for good.

• Thanks 1

Everyone is afraid of "offending someone"....

"We can't allow Pride tape! That will offend all the church goers! :frantic:

When the reaction should be: "If the idea of some colored tape offends you that much, then maybe hockey isn't for you. Why don't you fuck off and go watch some NASCAR".

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...