[Article] NHL reportedly bans Pride Tape for 2023-24 season

RWJC

20 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I for one am also tired of the pregame Native ceremonies. I am not racist, not even close. Just tired of having agendas shoved down my throat at hockey games, graduation ceremonies, heck even some staff meetings. Keep forcing it on us and it will have a negative effect. I am witness to more and more disdain for these ceremonies. But of course, your pegged as a racist if you even broach the subject of wanting these things to stop. 

My best friend posted something about how stupid pride nights were on another board and was instantly labeled a homophobe, funny thing, he’s about as gay as anyone could be.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

My best friend posted something about how stupid pride nights were on another board and was instantly labeled a homophobe, funny thing, he’s about as gay as anyone could be.

Lol. Perfect example and thanks for posting it. The pendulum has swung so far one way that too many tools don't even know how to react anymore. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I for one am also tired of the pregame Native ceremonies. I am not racist, not even close. Just tired of having agendas shoved down my throat at hockey games, graduation ceremonies, heck even some staff meetings. Keep forcing it on us and it will have a negative effect. I am witness to more and more disdain for these ceremonies. But of course, your pegged as a racist if you even broach the subject of wanting these things to stop. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

In Canada, four of seven cities are mostly Liberal, one (Vancouver) is split between Liberal and the NDP, and two are primarily right wing Conservative (if you guessed Calgary and Edmonton, good on you). 

Actually Edmonton primarily votes NDP, it just happens to be in Alberta which ends up voting conservative in rural areas and Calgary; so most of the time you get a conservative provincial government. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure if this would work or not but if the players want to send a message about their disagreement to this policy, they should all pick a different colour sock tape and wear it during the game. 

For example, 1 d-man wears solid red tape, the other d-man wears blue, 1 forward yellow, 1 green, 1 orange, etc. (you get the idea). Then they line up on the blue line for the anthem and you have a line up of pride colours without technically using pride tape. Then what does the NHL do, go after everyone? 

I know this is a much bigger discussion than simple tape colour, but sometimes the simplest message is the loudest. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:11 PM, RWJC said:

NHL reportedly bans Pride Tape for 2023-24 season

In a memo sent to the NHL's 32 clubs, the league has decided that it will no longer permit players from using Pride Tape.

The NHL has reportedly banned a basic act of solidarity with LGBTQ+ communities, banning teams from using Pride Tape for the 2023-24 season, as first reported by Outsports.

ESPN’s Ryan S. Clark previously reported on Oct. 5 that the NHL sent a memo to all 32 teams clarifying which ‘special initiatives’ they could participate in with Pride Nights falling under this umbrella. The league stated that teams could celebrate whichever initiatives they’d like, as long as it adhered to the dress code.

After seven players opted out of Pride Night initiatives last season, the NHL elected not to wear Pride-centered practice jerseys for the 2023-24 season, with Gary Bettman calling the jerseys “a distraction” from the special interest nights. Other special interest nights such as Military Appreciation Night remain an active part of the league’s calendar.

Pride Tape has partnered with the NHL and NHLPA in an effort to eradicate homophobia under the NHL’s Hockey Is For Everyone banner — a program that has proven to be widely performative under the supervision of NHL executive vice-president Kim Davis. Using Pride Tape is a small but important act of solidarity with LGBTQ+ communities, allowing NHL players to show their support in a visible way on the ice.

Despite its proclamations, the NHL has repeatedly struggled to back up its words with actions in serving as an ally to queer and trans communities, with this latest effort the most troubling policy the league has installed over the past decade.

There has been a clear reversal in the league office’s thinking from 2019 onwards, ranging from a series of well-intentioned but fruitless initiatives like Hockey Is For Everyone and Pride Tape — a small gesture of solidarity — to outright condemnation and separation from gay, queer and trans communities over the past year under Bettman and Davis’ leadership.

The NHL, the NHLPA and their partner You Can Play have yet to comment on Outsports’ original report.

Arun Srinivasan

Mon, October 9, 2023 at 2:44 PM PDT

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/nhl-reportedly-bans-pride-tape-for-2023-24-season-214441877.html

More questionable marketing decisions by a bloated organization that is out of touch with the 21st century.

They just don't get who their fans are anymore. Next they will be telling all players that they must use horse and buggy to get to and from games to support their investment in buggy whips. Them gas powered thangs jus won't catch on.... 

Just now, Flipper said:

I’m not sure if this would work or not but if the players want to send a message about their disagreement to this policy, they should all pick a different colour sock tape and wear it during the game. 

I checked the NHL tape policy and it SEEMS to say that players may use any colour of tape they wish. But they have been expressly forbidden from using rainbow taping. So technically, if each player chose a different colour, nobody is breaking any rules. Also, players who don't agree can continue to use black or white, whatever they want. 

• Cheers 2

Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

The NHL has banned teams from using specialty jerseys or alterations to gear like Pride Tape for any on-ice activities, including practices and warm-ups.

Thanks to a ruling by the NHL, the Vancouver Canucks won’t be wearing any specialty jerseys on the ice in the 2023-24 season.

That means no First Nations Celebration jerseyor Diwali jersey. No Chinese New Year jersey, Hockey Fights Cancer jersey, or military appreciation jersey. And, of course, that means no Pride Night jersey.  

The latter become a hot-button issue last season when several players, including the Canucks’ Andrei Kuzmenko, refused to wear a Pride Night jersey for warm-ups with the rest of their team. 

In response to these actions by a small subsection of their players, the NHL chose to do away with all specialty jerseys for warm-ups. In a memo sent to teams last week, the NHL clarified that this means any on-ice activity, including practices, and extends not just to specialty jerseys but any alterations to gear.

That means Pride Tape, the rainbow-coloured hockey tape that many teams have used in warm-ups as part of their Pride Night celebrations. Notably, Pride Tape has never been mandated by any team and plenty of players have opted out of using the tape on their own sticks. Now, however, players are not even allowed to voluntarily use Pride Tape.

Some players have even used Pride Tape during games to show their support for the LGBTQ community, including former Canuck Travis Dermott, who typically uses a few inches of Pride Tape on the handle of all of his sticks.

Several players across the NHL have expressed their disapproval of this blanket policy, including Edmonton Oilers star Connor McDavid.  

"This organization, with Pride, will always support that."

As for the Canucks, general manager Patrik Allvin said that they’re planning on abiding by the NHL’s ruling.

“Decisions like that, that’s something we follow the NHL, what they recommend,” said Allvin. “I think this organization has done a lot of good things in the community…we will continue to do that. But we definitely follow the league rules and what they’re telling us to do.”

Canucks captain Quinn Hughes expressed his support for Pride Night last season and made it clear that even if they’re barred from showing that support on the ice this season, the team will continue to support Pride Night off the ice.

“I preached it before, last year in this locker room, this organization, with Pride, will always support that,” said Hughes. “It starts at the top of the organization with the Aquilinis on down. Whether we’re wearing the tape or the jerseys, it’s something that we’ll always support. We may not be doing anything on the ice but we’ll still be doing things off the ice to support it.”

Free agent signing Ian Cole is the Canucks’ union representative with the NHLPA and he told Postmedia's Patrick Johnston that the Canucks’ support for Pride Night and other community initiatives was a big reason why he signed in Vancouver.

“I know the reputation that this organization has,” said Cole. “When I came here, it was a really great selling point of this organization — how they approach these things…I think it is very important.”

Cole clearly was not happy about the NHL’s decision to ban specialty jerseys and Pride Tape but said there’s little he or the other players can do.

“I think that the NHL wants zero controversy, which inevitably gave them controversy,” said Cole.

“Unfortunately, they are the iron fist there and what they say goes…They’re the ones that make the rules. Unfortunately, as employees, we don’t get a ton of say in it. But I really respect and like what the Vancouver Canucks have done.”

You Can Play project and Pride tape criticize NHL's policy

The makers of Pride Tape released a statement in response to the ban. 

“The Pride Tape team is extremely disappointed by the NHL's decision to eliminate Pride Tape from any league on-ice activities,” read the statement. “We hope the league — and teams — will again show commitment to this important symbol of combating homophobia.”

The You Can Play project likewise released a statement calling out the NHL for this policy.

“It is now clear that the NHL is stepping back from its long-standing commitment to inclusion, and continuing to unravel all of its one-time industry-leading work on 2SLGBTQ+ belonging," said You Can Play. "We are now at a point where all the progress made, and relationships established within our community, are in jeopardy.”

Daily Faceoff’s Matt Larkin asked NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly why the NHL went as far as barring players from choosing to show support for the LGBTQ community with Pride Tape.

“Game/practice restrictions don’t interfere with players’ ability to support in other settings,” said Daly. “In fact, we encourage them to. [We] just don’t want to put other players in a tough spot simply because they don’t choose to join.”

Daniel Wagner 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-will-follow-the-league-rules-on-pride-tape-and-specialty-jerseys-7665248

Edited by RWJC

On 10/9/2023 at 10:51 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

On the surface its a very low moment for the NHL to outlaw something so small & seemingly innocuous + benevolent.

But given their rationale with outlawing the jerseys (it became a distraction bigger than the event) I think I can see that same rationale here to be honest. With the tape you could basically have a similar thing, ala, If 12 guys are using pride tape in warmup & 6 aren't, well, what becomes the story on the internet... It could be the same response/backlash as people not wearing jerseys the last year. And your right back in the same spot.

This sums it up well. The league sees the potential controversy, and removes that possibility ahead of time.

No sense waiting for it to happen, and then remove the tape, creating multiple distractions.

Just pasting my response from the other thread in Canucks Talk before I hit the beginning of this one...

Let me see if I got this straight

I'm assuming this decision coming from 'the league' starts with the board of governors (the owners) and Weasel Boy Bettman yes?

These cretins sit around all year in their little billionaire's cabal thinking of more and more ways to print money yet, so fucking terrified are they of taking an actual stand on a simple and, frankly, outdated social issue, that they're willing to throw away massive sums of merchandising profits from multiple various theme night jerseys and more?

Simply to appease an incredibly small number of big tough athletes who don't want to feel pressured into conforming with the evil plot of those who seek to be able to love who they choose without fear of discrimination and worse?

I guess I get it. If Putin's thugs are threatening to harm player's families for embracing Western ideals, give a guy a pass and don't let a big issue be made of it. If somebody is diehard homophobic and doesn't wanna partake, fair enough. Give him a pass. If Petey suddenly adopts a fervent anti-war stance in his personal life, don't make him wear the jersey on military appreciation night. Big deal.

But a league wide ban (including practices WTAF) seems like an incredibly over-the-top and short-sighted response to the few bumps these Pride night activities ran into last season.

Disappointing is such an understatement

No wonder Pro Sports and Heavy Metal are two of the last hold outs on homophobia. Tons of lip service (no pun intended) all around the edges but it's still don't ask don't tell at their cores lest one be ostracized from the tribe.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but I don't recall hearing about a single openly gay NHL player in my lifetime (mid 50's) and only one NFL player whose coming out made headlines for weeks or months. That adolescent locker room nonsense really digs in its heels I suppose

So ridiculous

#FML

I'm sure I'm missing points outside of my own perspective on this one so apologize for ranting. Just really thought that, as a people, we'd moved much further along on the paths of compassion and courage than what this says to me. 

Makes me feel old and embarrassed to be one of us

• Vintage 1

No rainbow tape?

Ok

How about

1 wrap, around the stick, of blue tape; then a wrap of yellow tape, then a wrap of purple tape, and so on?

Should still be allowed as all the player is doing, is using many different colours of tape.

Note, that the players with the issue over this are

playing hockey 7 days a week- no day off for the Sabbath.

one dude living with his girlfriend- in direct conflict with his 'russian orthodox' religion,

players wearing mixed fabrics

and on and on.

bigotry- not religion, is the conclusion I get from watching the hypocrisy.

• Cheers 1

The part that cracks me up most about this is that not one single player opposed to donning Pride colours has had the balls to simply come out and say it’s because they’re homophobic. 

Instead, they cower behind religion as if that’s a safe haven for hatred. 

Look, I admit it, I fucking hate lazy people and, aside from those suffering from formally diagnosed medical conditions, am very, very uncomfortable around stupid people. I believe they’re way of thinking and acting is not only toxic and dangerous but mildly contagious as well. 

But I’m forced to work alongside many of these people and am forbidden from expressing my true thoughts and feelings for them without being subjected to social and professional consequences. So I smile and nod and bite my tongue and refrain from violence and other acts of aggression other than some micro aggressions I can get away with.

So, to those players who either hate or simply claim to be uncomfortable with members of LGBTQ communities, I simply say, “I feel your pain man. Life is tough and we don’t always get to hold unpopular beliefs comfortably. Sometimes you just have to own who you are, speak your truth to power and accept the consequences. If that means you’re labelled a POS homophobe and suffer the slings and arrows of the media, your peers and a large segment of the general population in the land where you earn your millions playing a childhood game, so be it. Such is the cost of freedom of choice.”

Or if you’re just so ashamed of your chosen beliefs that you’re not willing to own them, then suck it up and wear what you’re told to wear and keep your hatred hidden for the greater good just like I do

If I wasn’t so fearful of being arrested and the negative impact on my life and family, I’d literally spearhead an opening night demonstration outside the arena to burn our NHL/Canucks gear in protest of this nonsense.

just so disgusted 

It's odd on so many levels. 

Looks bad from a socially responsible point of view
Bad business sense as it shits on a portion of your customer base
Makes the League look bad when it already has a rep of being morally and ethically unsteady

Love to see McDavid wear the tape then dare the league to punish him 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Some that cheer on freedoms will be happy with these restrictions. 

Sad world.

If people are against teams forcing players to wear something against their beliefs, then the same people must be equally against the same teams forcing players to not wear something in accordance with their beliefs.

Individual choices right? I'm not holding my breath.

• Cheers 1

No tape?  No specialized jerseys?  No significant social issues to be addressed?  because it is distracting and just needs to be about the game?

Allvin, you'll abde by this?

Cool.

Just gonna leave this here mate.  I expect this will be removed immediately right?  For the same reasons no?

image.thumb.png.d4ce22eb67c24dde33468e1bce5dbacb.png

• Like 1