[Article] NHL reportedly bans Pride Tape for 2023-24 season

RWJC

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I could see Burke doing it on air as well if he's back on the panel this year.

I hope he does. His voice and history as an executive in almost every capacity within the NHL carries a lot of weight, not to mention the personal aspect of it that might offend him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't think you know what my view is other than what I have stated...that the path of least resistance was to enjoy the 95% victory of 95% of the players being glad to wear the jersey and to not make a big deal out of it if one in twenty players said no thanks to the jersey.

Again from my view we will.have  to agree to disagree...... 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't think you know what my view is other than what I have stated...that the path of least resistance was to enjoy the 95% victory of 95% of the players being glad to wear the jersey and to not make a big deal out of it if one in twenty players said no thanks to the jersey.

Sorry, but this is how meaningful change occurs. It's frequently difficult and ugly, and yes can include "setbacks". And frankly blaming the media is silly, people are rightfully upset with the ignorance, bigotry and intolerance. I hope people, media included (and players) continue to show their displeasure at it and this latest chicken shit tact. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, but this is how meaningful change occurs. It's frequently difficult and ugly, and yes can include "setbacks". And frankly blaming the media is silly, people are rightfully upset with the ignorance, bigotry and intolerance. I hope people, media included (and players) continue to show their displeasure at it and this latest chicken shit tact. 

You had meaningful change.  You had a pride night in pretty much every arena where almost every player was wearing a jersey.  Like the parable of the crow with the cheese, everybody had 19 pieces of cheese in their beak and squawked because they didn't have the 20th...and lost all the cheese.

Now there's no pride jerseys, no cancer jerseys, no First Nations jerseys, etc.  And it was all predictable from day one.

And now people are mad at a corporation for acting like a corporation.

Sometimes you just have to accept a victory and not complain about winning.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

You had meaningful change.  You had a pride night in pretty much every arena where almost every player was wearing a jersey.  Like the parable of the crow with the cheese, everybody had 19 pieces of cheese in their beak and squawked because they didn't have the 20th...and lost all the cheese.

Now there's no pride jerseys, no cancer jerseys, no First Nations jerseys, etc.  And it was all predictable from day one.

Or... we can keep demanding required change until we get it.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 4

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

Well people just demanded their way out of the change they wanted and already had in the palm of their hand.

Invest your energy as you best see fit.

The only thing people demanded was that a few people not be allowed to hide behind religion as an excuse for intolerance and bigotry.

Just now, aGENT said:

The only thing people demanded was that a few people not be allowed to hide behind religion as an excuse for intolerance and bigotry.

Well demanding that on top of what they already had went and lost them everything.

And by the way there is no good reason I can think of that those hockey players should not be able to give religion as their reason for their decision.  You aren't a mind reader and neither am I.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well demanding that on top of what they already had went and lost them everything.

And by the way there is no good reason I can think of that those hockey players should not be able to give religion as their reason for their decision.  You aren't a mind reader and neither am I.

There's no good reason for ignorance and bigotry. Certainly not religion.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's no good reason for ignorance and bigotry. Certainly not religion.

The dudes just wanted to not be made to wear a shirt.  They didn't actually do anything to any gay person.  They just wanted to not themselves be made to do something.

Proportionate responses are important to making the world actually function.  Throw a fit over that and you get the result we got...no shirts for anyone.  Who's happy now.

You could have had 19 out of 20 players wearing a pride jersey on pride night.  Wasn't good enough.  So now we get zero instead.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

The dudes just wanted to not be made to wear a shirt.  Proportionate responses are important to making the world actually function.  Throw a fit over that and you get the result we got...no shirts for anyone.  Who's happy now.

Dudes wanted to not wear a shirt that promotes inclusivity in sport. 

They believe their religions dictate that certain people aren't equal and should not be included in anything, sport or otherwise. That's ignorant bigotry hiding behind "religious freedoms". Don't try to dress it up. It is exactly what it looks like it is.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Dudes wanted to not wear a shirt that promotes inclusivity in sport. 

They believe their religions dictate that certain people aren't equal and should not be included in anything, sport or otherwise. That's ignorant bigotry hiding behind "religious freedoms". Don't try to dress it up. It is exactly what it looks like it is.

I'm not interested in prosecuting thought crime.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm not interested in prosecuting thought crime.

Nobody is prosecuting anything.  People are just holding ignorant, bigoted actions accountable and voicing their displeasure with said actions.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nobody is prosecuting anything.  People are just holding ignorant, bigoted actions accountable and voicing their displeasure with said actions.

Okay but like I said...that took us all from 19 out of 20 players wearing the pride jersey to zero out of twenty throughout the league.  Again...sometimes it's best to just accept a victory and not complain about winning.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Okay but like I said...that took us all from 19 out of 20 players wearing the pride jersey to zero out of twenty throughout the league.  Again...sometimes it's best to just accept a victory and not complain about winning.

That wasn't victory, and this isn't over.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

You had meaningful change. Black people were allowed to get on the same bus as white folk, but they had to sit in the back even if there were open seats in the "white section". Then Rosa Parks happened and demanded that 20th piece of cheese. Because a 95% victory is sometimes not a real win.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

So, what limits like that do you accept in your own life?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

NHL-  back that train up- things have changed

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/national-hockey-league-lifts-ban-on-pride-tape-a-step-towards-lgbtq-inclusion/ar-AA1i5X3n?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3d61801c25b34567af49a1c767f97275&ei=35

"n a significant development, the National Hockey League (NHL) has lifted its ban on the use of pride tape on hockey sticks, paving the way for players to freely show their support for the LGBTQ+ community. This decision, seen as a testament to the league’s commitment to inclusivity, comes after deliberations between NHL officials and advocates from the LGBTQ+ community.

The ban on pride tape was initially imposed in 2019, citing concerns that the colorful tape could create distractions on the ice. This move sparked controversy and was criticized by several figures within the league, including former NHL executive and LGBTQ+ advocate Patrick Burke. Burke, who is also the founder of the You Can Play Project, commented that the decision was a setback and a betrayal of the league’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Similarly, Bruins captain Brad Marchand expressed his disappointment, advocating for the players’ right to support causes they believe in without backlash

The lifting of the ban, however, seems to herald a new era of inclusivity in the NHL. The league has now acknowledged the importance of fostering an inclusive and diverse environment in professional hockey. The decision aligns with a broader trend in the sports world to promote equality and create safe spaces for all athletes, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Many players have welcomed the decision, expressing their excitement and intention to use the pride tape in upcoming games. The tape, which features the colors of the rainbow, has been widely embraced and celebrated by players and fans alike as a symbol of support and acceptance for the LGBTQ+ community.

This reversal of the NHL’s stance sends a powerful message of acceptance, highlighting the growing recognition of LGBTQ+ rights in sports. It is hoped that this decision will inspire other sports organizations to take similar measures to support LGBTQ+ inclusion.

The lifting of the ban on pride tape represents a significant milestone in the journey towards inclusivity in sports. While the initial ban on pride tape was seen as a step backward, the NHL’s decision to reverse it indicates a positive shift in attitude towards the LGBTQ+ community. This move not only strengthens the bond between the players and their fans but also sets a precedent for other sports organizations to follow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1