[Article] NHL reportedly bans Pride Tape for 2023-24 season

RWJC

2 hours ago, StrayDog said:

You had meaningful change. Black people were allowed to get on the same bus as white folk, but they had to sit in the back even if there were open seats in the "white section". Then Rosa Parks happened and demanded that 20th piece of cheese. Because a 95% victory is sometimes not a real win.

If you want to make any attempt at all to go apples to apples, the appropriate form your counterexample would actually take is something like getting mad at the one white person on the bus who isn't actually wearing a BLM shirt...then claiming something like the bus isn't safe for black people until every white person wears a BLM shirt or the guy without the BLM shirt shouldn't be allowed on the bus etc.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

So, what limits like that do you accept in your own life?

For my entire life up until now and for the rest of it I never have expected or will expect anyone to wear any garment celebrating me if they don't want to.

The gay community by the way has not claimed this right nor is it the gay community I hear demanding ridiculous consequences for someone not doing so...deportation, suspension, etc.  The people throwing those fits are mostly the straight people making a dog and pony show about how they are the biggest and best ally.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If you want to make any attempt at all to go apples to apples, the appropriate form your counterexample would actually take is something like getting mad at the one white person on the bus who isn't actually wearing a BLM shirt...then claiming something like the bus isn't safe for black people until every white person wears a BLM shirt or the guy without the BLM shirt shouldn't be allowed on the bus etc.

Nah. I'm pretty good with my analogy. Because it's not about who's wearing the shirt; it's about the ones who protest the shirt in the first place especially in context of why the shirt is being worn to start. I'll keep on with the "back of the bus" analogy (or "in the closet" if you prefer).  

Nah. I'm pretty good with my analogy. Because it's not about who's wearing the shirt; it's about the ones who protest the shirt in the first place especially in context of why the shirt is being worn to start. I'll keep on with the "back of the bus" analogy (or "in the closet" if you prefer).  

Just now, StrayDog said:

You can be good with the analogy but it was not a great one.

36 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Can you elaborate?

The only meaningful use of the term is how it applies from a legal standpoint, as it pertains to our rights as Canadians and human beings. 

The essence of the 'Pride' event is to further promote the inclusion of all people within all aspects of society, and to celebrate those successful efforts we have made as a society to do so.

One could also suggest such events are intended to further awareness of continuing issues various groups struggle to overcome within society, but (I think) that only serves to detract from the nature of the event. 

11 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

The only meaningful use of the term is how it applies from a legal standpoint, as it pertains to our rights as Canadians and human beings. 

The essence of the 'Pride' event is to further promote the inclusion of all people within all aspects of society, and to celebrate those successful efforts we have made as a society to do so.

One could also suggest such events are intended to further awareness of continuing issues various groups struggle to overcome within society, but (I think) that only serves to detract from the nature of the event. 

Sorry, I'm failing to understand how this explains how "equality isn't an issue". I could go off on an tangent about this post, but I'd rather stay on my original question. 

To summarize I feel like this post says that these events are used to celebrate inclusion, but your argument is that it detracts from inclusion. 

But I don't understand how this explains "equality isn't an issue".

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Sorry, I'm failing to understand how this explains how "equality isn't an issue". I could go off on an tangent about this post, but I'd rather stay on my original question. 

To summarize I feel like this post says that these events are used to celebrate inclusion, but your argument is that it detracts from inclusion. 

But I don't understand how this explains "equality isn't an issue".

Do you feel that anyone's right to equality is being violated if Andrei Kuzmenko chooses not to wear the Pride warmup jersey?

Do you feel that anyone's right to equality is being violated if Andrei Kuzmenko chooses not to wear the Pride warmup jersey?

Does that explain how "equality isn't at issue"? Doesn't that more back the argument that equality IS at issue?

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

He's sure as hell not making himself equal to his teammates who are wearing the correct attire for the event.  It's called a uniform for a reason.

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

NHL-  back that train up- things have changed

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/national-hockey-league-lifts-ban-on-pride-tape-a-step-towards-lgbtq-inclusion/ar-AA1i5X3n?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3d61801c25b34567af49a1c767f97275&ei=35

"n a significant development, the National Hockey League (NHL) has lifted its ban on the use of pride tape on hockey sticks, paving the way for players to freely show their support for the LGBTQ+ community. This decision, seen as a testament to the league’s commitment to inclusivity, comes after deliberations between NHL officials and advocates from the LGBTQ+ community.

The ban on pride tape was initially imposed in 2019, citing concerns that the colorful tape could create distractions on the ice. This move sparked controversy and was criticized by several figures within the league, including former NHL executive and LGBTQ+ advocate Patrick Burke. Burke, who is also the founder of the You Can Play Project, commented that the decision was a setback and a betrayal of the league’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Similarly, Bruins captain Brad Marchand expressed his disappointment, advocating for the players’ right to support causes they believe in without backlash

The lifting of the ban, however, seems to herald a new era of inclusivity in the NHL. The league has now acknowledged the importance of fostering an inclusive and diverse environment in professional hockey. The decision aligns with a broader trend in the sports world to promote equality and create safe spaces for all athletes, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Many players have welcomed the decision, expressing their excitement and intention to use the pride tape in upcoming games. The tape, which features the colors of the rainbow, has been widely embraced and celebrated by players and fans alike as a symbol of support and acceptance for the LGBTQ+ community.

This reversal of the NHL’s stance sends a powerful message of acceptance, highlighting the growing recognition of LGBTQ+ rights in sports. It is hoped that this decision will inspire other sports organizations to take similar measures to support LGBTQ+ inclusion.

The lifting of the ban on pride tape represents a significant milestone in the journey towards inclusivity in sports. While the initial ban on pride tape was seen as a step backward, the NHL’s decision to reverse it indicates a positive shift in attitude towards the LGBTQ+ community. This move not only strengthens the bond between the players and their fans but also sets a precedent for other sports organizations to follow.

Haven't seen this reported elsewhere.  Will wait and see but hope it's true

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

For my entire life up until now and for the rest of it I never have expected or will expect anyone to wear any garment celebrating me if they don't want to.

The gay community by the way has not claimed this right nor is it the gay community I hear demanding ridiculous consequences for someone not doing so...deportation, suspension, etc.  The people throwing those fits are mostly the straight people making a dog and pony show about how they are the biggest and best ally.

or people just supporting their friends and family and co-workers. 

Are you in any particular group where someone could wear something to support you?

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's sure as hell not making himself equal to his teammates who are wearing the correct attire for the event.  It's called a uniform for a reason.

If I remember correctly, Kuz mentioned that his decision was largely made to protect family members in Russia.

Regardless of what Kuz believes in, I respect his right to believe that even the smallest indication of support for gay rights could cause harm to family members in gay bashing Russia.

I think the league and most fans are interested in hockey and not having every game making a political or social statement. Seems to happen every game. There are a lot of wrongs going on and things are getting very polarized. Should the next game be about Israel and Hamas. Which side should be picked. I don't have a problem with rainbow or whoever's sexuality but when does it all end. Can't we just turn on a hockey game and enjoy it? Maybe I'm wrong? 

• Cheers 1

Equal rights would suggest there should be tape that represents strait pride too.  But that would be being a bigot… right.  Honestly there shouldnt be any representation of sexual orientation present on any sports team.  In this case the only thing that should matter is the HOCKEY team you’re representing while playing on a HOCKEY team.  If it was a sexual orientation league then by all means represent your teams sexual orientation there!  So unless there’s a team with rainbow jerseys I fully support banning rainbow tape.

1 minute ago, Seventy7 said:

Equal rights would suggest there should be tape that represents strait pride too.  But that would be being a bigot… right.  Honestly there shouldnt be any representation of sexual orientation present on any sports team.  In this case the only thing that should matter is the HOCKEY team you’re representing while playing on a HOCKEY team.  If it was a sexual orientation league then by all means represent your teams sexual orientation there!  So unless there’s a team with rainbow jerseys I fully support banning rainbow tape.

Are people upset about straight people in sports? 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 10/13/2023 at 3:29 PM, Beartooth said:

I think the league and most fans are interested in hockey and not having every game making a political or social statement. Seems to happen every game. There are a lot of wrongs going on and things are getting very polarized. Should the next game be about Israel and Hamas. Which side should be picked. I don't have a problem with rainbow or whoever's sexuality but when does it all end. Can't we just turn on a hockey game and enjoy it? Maybe I'm wrong? 

Imagine a world where support for including everyone in your sport is "polarizing" 🤣

• Upvote 1

NHL, NHLPA Pride-tape ban misses the point

Ron MacLean | October 14, 2023,

7:50 PM

image.thumb.jpeg.91ff9e3b4dad1d4c3544e6ae825b0439.jpeg

“To make laws that man cannot and will not obey, serves to bring all law into contempt.” — Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1860

Over a century ago, Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s quotation was addressed to those who mattered: men. Stanton knew she was working to represent the voices that would change the world, those of women, those who were marginalized, by playing within the rules of the time.

That aside, her basic teaching was that it doesn’t matter who makes the rules, but rather whose story, whose voice, will truly control the narrative and thus the law. 

The NHL, in consultation with the NHL Players' Association, decided that the no Pride-tape policy was simply an off-shoot of the sweaters being removed from the 250 theme nights, to avoid dissension in the dressing room and distractions in the media. It is a fair point, well intended, but it also misses the point. These differences of opinion and respecting our differences are the path forward. 

There have always been assumptions about who matters. Whose voice is heard, who decides. One of the consequences of being powerless is that the powerful don’t really need or want to know about you. But that is changing. The world is filling with more people, more voices and more possibilities, and if those in power don’t share in this growth, like empires, nation states and leaders before them, they will vanish. The invisible will not tolerate being subjectively minimized. In short, they won’t accept a gag order. 

We cannot know if we are lying to ourselves if we do not see and hear others. The stifling of expression — that is tyranny. The forced smiles all around to protect private interests is not democracy. 

Imagine telling LeBron James he could not wear Pride tape. F1 driver Lewis Hamilton, a seven-time world champion: Would they tell him not to wear his Pride helmet? Would the NFL retract its, “My Cause My Cleats” initiative? Would MLB cancel Pride nights? Won’t happen because whose story this is remains the same as it ever was, it’s the athletes'. 

However powerful the IOC thought itself to be, Tommie Smith and John Carlos wearing Black Power gloves on the medal podium in Mexico City 1968 stood for something far greater than a medal or an anthem or an Olympic Games. They stood for their rights. Like Jackie Robinson, who marched in the name of civil rights in 1958. Roberto Clemente and the Pittsburgh Pirates, who missed opening day to attend the funeral of Martin Luther King Jr. Like Muhammad Ali, Billie Jean King, Colin Kaepernick, Luke Prokop ... an unbroken line of unbroken promises. A promise by these athletes not to let bad leadership bully the truth. 

Asking questions is fundamental to democracy and it’s neither aggression nor imposition. 

Rebecca Solnit, in her book, “Recollections of My Nonexistence,” posed a series of questions: Where do you stand? Where do you belong? Is your existence justified in your own eyes, enough that you don’t have to retreat or attack? Do you fear the ground being pulled out from under you, the door slammed in your face? Do you not stake a claim to begin with, because you’ve already been defeated or expected to be if you show up? What would it feel like to be there, when there is nothing more or less than the space you inhabit? 

The NHL, its board of governors, the NHL Players' Association, have they asked themselves these questions? If they had, they would know how this ruling feels to those singled out. I do believe there is a willingness to revisit the rule. 

The leaders ought to hear what the 2SLGBTQ+ and allies are saying. In our deepest reflexes and emotions, we feel we are being pushed away by a rule we cannot obey. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-nhlpa-pride-tape-ban-misses-the-point/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Seventy7 said:

When the day arrives that no person faces discrimination,  harassment and bullying becuase of their sexual orientation.... then we won't need pride

When was the last.time someone had to lie about being straight , was bullied for being straight , committed self.harm due to the attacks for being straight ?

For those identifying with Pride its a legal right and those moralizing their view towards them are why we still.need Pride

• Cheers 3

On 10/13/2023 at 3:29 PM, Beartooth said:

. Should the next game be about Israel and Hamas. 

What did you think of the stand with Israel announcement before the game? Does it feel strange to have your gotcha statement of something you deemed ridiculous, actually be how the world is now?

• Haha 1