[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

On 10/31/2023 at 10:37 AM, Huggy Bear said:

Columbus sits second last in the East, averaging 2.5 gpg, and a -14 gd.

Its clear they need offence, and Garland would have promising chemistry with a Center like Jenner, who is somewhat similar to Horvat, IMO. 

Hopefully PA is sitting back waiting for an offer without retention. Our solid start to the season gives us leverage in any deal. There’s no urgency as we sit second in the division with games in hand. Alberta floundering further takes pressure off. 

IMO, just leave it as Garland for Peeke, straight up, and let them come back to us, or not. There’s no sense in mortgaging future cap space to get off of a good player, who’s not hurting us. You can tell by how Garland hustles, and celebrates with his team after wins, that he’s committed and not hurting the team amidst rumours. 

Take all the time you want, Columbus. We’re in no hurry…

...why would we want a scratched dman from the second last team in the East? I mean jeez, Peeke and Boqvist couldn't beat out Gudbranson of all people?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

For as much shit as Gillis got. He did what PA wants to do with this team. Benning gave us Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Demko and Miller. Now PA can add around them better than Benning could. Similar to how the core pieces to 2011 was brought in by Nonis and Burke. But Gillis made the moves to add good secondary pieces and signed some good contracts. I still wish we had one or two more good drafts, we tried to force playoffs too early. We'll see if PA can work some Gillis magic and add the proper secondary pieces to this core. Cause this core is strong.

Yup. The core is mostly drafted, and Benning did that. He added Miller via trade. Then Allvin added Hronek via trade. That completed, like you point out, a great core. Now Allvin is trying to do like Gillis (The Great!) and build out the supporting cast in a cost effective way. Seems pretty good so far. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AK-19 said:

...why would we want a scratched dman from the second last team in the East? I mean jeez, Peeke and Boqvist couldn't beat out Gudbranson of all people?

Gudbranson is their only enforcer. He plays every game. That’s why they signed him to that big contract. 

Severson and Jiricek are locked into their top 4. Peeke and Boqvist won’t ever get him. They need to be moved at some point before their value drops to zero. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I’m very surprised Gillis has never gotten another chance as a GM.  He seems to be a very smart GM in regards to dealing with players and trying to fit them under the cap.  He sucked at drafting but he knows that, and in interviews he has stated what he would do differently.  He was a analytics GM before analytics was cool.  On the occasional interview he’s had with Canucks media since he worked here he’s really provided insight into how smart he was as a GM

It has to do more with Gillis's time as an agent (Im not sure about now though, a lot of time as passed). Gillis was a maverick player agent that played a massive part on why theres a salary cap. Remember Bobby Holik? He was MG's client and he landed him like a 9 million per deal in the late 90's early 2000s. Think about that for a second, 9 million today is upper echelon money, and he got a very low end 2nd line centre paid. Theres a reason why not many GMs wanted to do deals with him

• Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

It has to do more with Gillis's time as an agent (Im not sure about now though, a lot of time as passed). Gillis was a maverick player agent that played a massive part on why theres a salary cap. Remember Bobby Holik? He was MG's client and he landed him like a 9 million per deal in the late 90's early 2000s. Think about that for a second, 9 million today is upper echelon money, and he got a very low end 2nd line centre paid. Theres a reason why not many GMs wanted to do deals with him

Thanks for posting this. I also believe that it is the same history that has prevented him from getting an NHL job ever again.

4 hours ago, filthy animal said:

It is funny how a guy this good at exploiting a system like this or Luongo contract is not used but rather discarded like the genius he is.  If the NHL found him to be a problem, why not hire him to find and patch the loopholes that the system has.  I just feel like Gillis has been given such a shitty treatment because all he did was work within the current rule set to give his clients the best deal possible

The media talks about the standings at American Thanksgiving (Nov.28) as a strong predictor of making the playoffs. No one knows better than Canucks’ fans how difficult it is to make up ground after bad start. 

That may be the threshold where bottom teams decide to sell, and when the few teams with cap space have accrued enough to facilitate trades. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

It is funny how a guy this good at exploiting a system like this or Luongo contract is not used but rather discarded like the genius he is.  If the NHL found him to be a problem, why not hire him to find and patch the loopholes that the system has.  I just feel like Gillis has been given such a shitty treatment because all he did was work within the current rule set to give his clients the best deal possible

Gillis broke the code when he criticized his owner publicly. It was during a radio spot with Scott Rintoul just before he was let go. He clearly knew what was coming and said some things during the interview.

1 hour ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Erik Gudbranson anyone? 🤕

He's definitely a bit overpaid at $4M, but he's pretty solid defensively and has always been a big penalty killer. Plus he's decently physical. I don't think he's really anything more than a #5 defenseman, but he at least brings useful traits. His contract is the same length as Garland's so a one-for-one swap could work. However, it's also possible he just becomes a slightly cheaper Myers.

22 hours ago, Diamonds said:

He's definitely a bit overpaid at $4M, but he's pretty solid defensively and has always been a big penalty killer. Plus he's decently physical. I don't think he's really anything more than a #5 defenseman, but he at least brings useful traits. His contract is the same length as Garland's so a one-for-one swap could work. However, it's also possible he just becomes a slightly cheaper Myers.

He’s a bottom pair d man imo 

but has toughness and leadership 

if the 1 for 1 swap with Garland is on the table the main reason in do it is because of the overall shortage of RD so in a year his value would be potentially higher and certainly higher than garlands so moving Guddy if he doesn’t work would be easier 

On 11/4/2023 at 6:38 AM, canucks curse said:

The value of peeke and boqvist has dropped precipitously because of scratches and how poorly CBJ is playing 

tbh 

I would have loved peeke for Garland 3 weeks ago but now peeke seems like a cap dump that’s an over all worse player than Myers 

Tbh I think it's really hard to gauge how good anyone is on CBJ is right now. Jarmo has managed to put together the most ill-fitting group in the league, but acts like he's something special. I think he's too arrogant to make a good deal with us.

We brought in two guys for size; Cole & Soucy.

I don't want Guddy just for his upper cut, or Peeke.  We're still building. 3rd overall as hot start notwithstanding. I'd take a buy low on skilled player with speed Boqvist.  

Unless they want Myers for Guddy. In which case I would still want Boqvist for something else. RHD Hronek, Willander, Boqvist looks awfully good to me in 2 years!

As early as next year? 

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We brought in two guys for size; Cole & Soucy.

I don't want Guddy just for his upper cut, or Peeke.  We're still building. 3rd overall as hot start notwithstanding. I'd take a buy low on skilled player with speed Boqvist.  

Unless they want Myers for Guddy. In which case I would still want Boqvist for something else. RHD Hronek, Willander, Boqvist looks awfully good to me in 2 years!

As early as next year? 

Boquist is a right sided dman but he's not the type of dman we need.   We need a bigger and more defensively oriented calibre d-man to play alongside Hughes on a top pairing (which would then allow Hronek to anchor a 2nd pairing with Cole or Soucy).  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Boquist is a right sided dman but he's not the type of dman we need.   We need a bigger and more defensively oriented calibre d-man to play alongside Hughes on a top pairing (which would then allow Hronek to anchor a 2nd pairing with Cole or Soucy).  

The fact that Hughes and Hronek are playing so well together may have changed things somewhat. I could see them keeping that top pairing together, trading for Boquist and signing Zadorov in the offseason. Cole is doing well, but he's getting up there in age and I think Zadorov would be an ideal 2LD and could pair well with Boquist. 

Hughes Hronek

Zadorov Boquist

Soucy Friedman

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Thats Willander.

Already in our system.  

If its not Hronek, who paired with Hughes have only offered, what, 2 goals against all year? With both being in the top 5 in scoring bt D.

Also already in our system... 

44 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Thats Willander.

Already in our system.  

If its not Hronek, who paired with Hughes have only offered, what, 2 goals against all year? With both being in the top 5 in scoring bt D.

Also already in our system... 

How many years away is he from being an NHL top 4 calibre guy?

4 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I'm not sure why people want to break up H-H. Let them dominate possession.

A Boqvist type player might fit well with Cole, e.g. 

If we leave our dominant top pair as is, then we are just looking at replacing Friedman.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not sure why people want to break up H-H. Let them dominate possession.

A Boqvist type player might fit well with Cole, e.g. 

If we leave our dominant top pair as is, then we are just looking at replacing Friedman.

Isn’t Boquist a dough head though?