[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

28 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

In eight games, they’ve scored 20g, and surrendered 25g. I’d say their scoring is anemic, but solid defensively. 

Their the 4th worst team in the East right now. While it’s early for panic, 2.5 GPG won’t cut it. 

Well, they are in a position of strength with Peeke and Bovqist as RHD sitting in the press box. Couldn't be good for their games, but they can afford to make a trade for some offensive help. Garland I think could thrive in Columbus, but they already got Gaudreau who is also quite small. Would they want another smaller statured player on the roster?

Columbus sits second last in the East, averaging 2.5 gpg, and a -14 gd.

Its clear they need offence, and Garland would have promising chemistry with a Center like Jenner, who is somewhat similar to Horvat, IMO. 

Hopefully PA is sitting back waiting for an offer without retention. Our solid start to the season gives us leverage in any deal. There’s no urgency as we sit second in the division with games in hand. Alberta floundering further takes pressure off. 

IMO, just leave it as Garland for Peeke, straight up, and let them come back to us, or not. There’s no sense in mortgaging future cap space to get off of a good player, who’s not hurting us. You can tell by how Garland hustles, and celebrates with his team after wins, that he’s committed and not hurting the team amidst rumours. 

Take all the time you want, Columbus. We’re in no hurry…

2 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Columbus sits second last in the East, averaging 2.5 gpg, and a -14 gd.

Its clear they need offence, and Garland would have promising chemistry with a Center like Jenner, who is somewhat similar to Horvat, IMO. 

Hopefully PA is sitting back waiting for an offer without retention. Our solid start to the season gives us leverage in any deal. There’s no urgency as we sit second in the division with games in hand. Alberta floundering further takes pressure off. 

IMO, just leave it as Garland for Peeke, straight up, and let them come back to us, or not. There’s no sense in mortgaging future cap space to get off of a good player, who’s not hurting us. You can tell by how Garland hustles, and celebrates with his team after wins, that he’s committed and not hurting the team amidst rumours. 

Take all the time you want, Columbus. We’re in no hurry…

Makes such a big difference when the team is winning.  There's no urgency to do anything TBH.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Diamonds said:

The longer Columbus scratches Boqvist and Peeke the more they are going to devalue them. Columbus might not be infatuated with their current offers but if they don't take one fast they might just get worse.

Definitely.

Not to mention if a 3-4-2 team doesn’t think those two can help them win it makes you wonder.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Diamonds said:

The longer Columbus scratches Boqvist and Peeke the more they are going to devalue them. Columbus might not be infatuated with their current offers but if they don't take one fast they might just get worse.

Yep. And they're not doing those two players any favours either in their development and professional growth. 

I love the relaxed nature of the proposals lately lol. 

Winning is good for the culture for sure. 

And I agree with you all. Garland while we do need to move him, isn't hurting us and we should pay extra just to dump him. 

Peeke for Garland is fair and they need offense. I wouldn't even be surprised if that offer is already on the table, but our management team doesn't think that is enough.

Peeke at the moment isn't even in CBJ's top 6. That says a lot. 

32 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

So terrible making bank to play hockey.... I feel so so bad for them 😆 

I'd love it if someone paid me millions to sit and do nothing. 

But in all seriousness, those guys are professionals, they worked hard to get to the NHL. can't be fun sitting in the press box when they feel like they should be playing and competing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Soucy and Adam Bovquist would be a very intriguing pairing

We've got Willander and possibly Punky Brewster coming on the right side... We don't really need Boqvist. 

Though I'd agree that Peeke is merely "competent" and not really as "exciting" of an add, being "only" a #4-#5 defensive D. But he's closer to the skill set we need.

I'm hopeful management has something unexpected on their radar. Another "Hronek" like trade would be exciting!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

We've got Willander and possibly Punky Brewster coming on the right side... We don't really need Boqvist. 

Though I'd agree that Peeke is merely "competent" and not really as "exciting" of an add, being "only" a #4-#5 defensive D. But he's closer to the skill set we need.

I'm hopeful management has something unexpected on their radar. Another "Hronek" like trade would be exciting!

Let's raise our expectations, Benning has been gone for a while now.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bobby Lou said:

So terrible making bank to play hockey.... I feel so so bad for them 😆 

I didn't even like being benched playing Lacrosse for free, I'd be fuming if I was paid while being benched/scratched. Needless to say I wasn't benched often. 

Edited by canuck73_3

10 hours ago, Tower102 said:

We need to look bigger than Peeke, no more fringe line up guys, go get someone to put the team over the top.

That requires a first round pick and a top prospect. And honestly, I don't think we are in that position yet. Even if that pick amounts to a 20-30 range. Our prospect pool is 3 deep. And that's being generous to Brzustewicz. I know fans like him a lot, but they liked Rathbone a lot too. We just don't know yet. The reason Peeke intrigues people is also because we don't really need a big fish, he'd be a low cost acquisition. We have Brzustewics and Willander. One or even both might become something for us. We very much would survive having another Soucy type, top 4/5 guy, while we wait for them to develop. And that is Peeke.

Besides, we are lucky we even found one team willing to trade a top 4 RHD. Not many teams do what Detroit did and give up a mid 20 year old top 4 RHD for peanuts. The odds of us finding another top 4 RHD in trade that cheap is not likely. Peeke, Hronek and Myers and soon to be Bear is more than sufficient for this season. When we have guys like Cole, Huggy, and Soucy on the left side. Is it world class? No, but it's enough to do what we need them to do. Our offence can go toe to toe with any one in the league. We just need a middle of the pack defence and we can do some damage with Demko in net.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

That requires a first round pick and a top prospect. And honestly, I don't think we are in that position yet. Even if that pick amounts to a 20-30 range. Our prospect pool is 3 deep. And that's being generous to Brzustewicz. I know fans like him a lot, but they liked Rathbone a lot too. We just don't know yet. The reason Peeke intrigues people is also because we don't really need a big fish, he'd be a low cost acquisition. We have Brzustewics and Willander. One or even both might become something for us. We very much would survive having another Soucy type, top 4/5 guy, while we wait for them to develop. And that is Peeke.

Besides, we are lucky we even found one team willing to trade a top 4 RHD. Not many teams do what Detroit did and give up a mid 20 top 4 RHD for peanuts. The odds of us finding another top 4 RHD in trade that cheap is not likely. Peeke, Hronek and Myers and soon to be Bear is more than sufficient for this season. When we have guys like Cole, Huggy, and Soucy on the left side. Is it world class? No, but it's enough to do what we need them to do. Our offence can go toe to toe with any one in the league. We just need a middle of the pack defence and we can do some damage with Demko in net.

Thankfully Benning (our worst GM ever) is gone and we have competent management again. New management is a lot like Gillis (our most successful GM ever) and will build us a Cup winner. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thankfully Benning (our worst GM ever) is gone and we have competent management again. New management is a lot like Gillis (our most successful GM ever) and will build us a Cup winner. 

I’m very surprised Gillis has never gotten another chance as a GM.  He seems to be a very smart GM in regards to dealing with players and trying to fit them under the cap.  He sucked at drafting but he knows that, and in interviews he has stated what he would do differently.  He was a analytics GM before analytics was cool.  On the occasional interview he’s had with Canucks media since he worked here he’s really provided insight into how smart he was as a GM

Just now, Rindiculous said:

I’m very surprised Gillis has never gotten another chance as a GM.  He seems to be a very smart GM in regards to dealing with players and trying to fit them under the cap.  He sucked at drafting but he knows that, and in interviews he has stated what he would do differently.  He was a analytics GM before analytics was cool.  On the occasional interview he’s had with Canucks media since he worked here he’s really provided insight into how smart he was as a GM

Gillis broke the code. He spoke publicly in a negative way about his owner. He’s not trusted now with the kind of secretive things the league (and owners) must keep in house. He will never get another job. He should, because he’s obviously really good, but he won’t. Benning, the incompetent fool he is, will get a job, but never Gillis. Benning followed the code. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For as much shit as Gillis got. He did what PA wants to do with this team. Benning gave us Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Demko and Miller. Now PA can add around them better than Benning could. Similar to how the core pieces to 2011 was brought in by Nonis and Burke. But Gillis made the moves to add good secondary pieces and signed some good contracts. I still wish we had one or two more good drafts, we tried to force playoffs too early. We'll see if PA can work some Gillis magic and add the proper secondary pieces to this core. Cause this core is strong.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1