[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not sure why people want to break up H-H. Let them dominate possession.

A Boqvist type player might fit well with Cole, e.g. 

If we leave our dominant top pair as is, then we are just looking at replacing Friedman.

I'm not sure how sustainable a Hughes-Hronek pairing will continue to be but I do agree that we should keep pairing them up if it continues to work. I think a while back, @wai_lai416 also posted some fancy stats that indicates that the Hughes-Hronek was also giving up a lot of chances?  (i.e. Goaltending was bailing them out).   

If it eventually stops working however, it would be nice to have other options (i.e. someone like a Rasmus Andersson playing alongside Hughes while Hronek moves down to play with Cole).   

In terms of joining elite teams like Vegas, I still think our two biggest needs are a good two-way 3rd line Center (Suter moves to his natural wing on that line) and a #3 or #2A calibre defenseman that would be a better stylistic fit with Hughes.  

For the two-way 3rd line center, we *might* already have that with Bluegar (time will tell), but I still think we need another #3/#2A calibre d-man.  Wet farts such as Ethan Bear, Adam Boquist, Andrew Peeke, etc. are "decent," but aren't going to move the needle for this team.  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I'm not sure how sustainable a Hughes-Hronek pairing will continue to be but I do agree that we should keep pairing them up if it continues to work. I think a while back, @wai_lai416 also posted some fancy stats that indicates that the Hughes-Hronek was also giving up a lot of chances?  (i.e. Goaltending was bailing them out).   

If it eventually stops working however, it would be nice to have other options (i.e. someone like a Rasmus Andersson playing alongside Hughes while Hronek moves down to play with Cole).   

In terms of joining elite teams like Vegas, I still think our two biggest needs are a good two-way 3rd line Center (Suter moves to his natural wing on that line) and a #3 or #2A calibre defenseman that would be a better stylistic fit with Hughes.  

For the two-way 3rd line center, we *might* already have that with Bluegar (time will tell), but I still think we need another #3/#2A calibre d-man.  Wet farts such as Ethan Bear, Adam Boquist, Andrew Peeke, etc. are "decent," but aren't going to move the needle for this team.  

Yep I'm very interested to see what we have in Bluger too. 

As far as giving up chances goes, that comes with pushing offence. I'm not worried about that aspect as all offensive lines give up chances.

Peeke not playing has nothing to do with his performance.  He has been dicked around his entire tenure in Columbus, even before he signed this extension.  He was scratched after one game because they are trying to move him.  They loaded up on D-men in the offseason and I guess figured they'd be able to move some of them before the season.

He will be playing tonight - not sure if its a pity start since he's from Florida or what, but seems very odd they would play him and risk injury.

Source : I am close with his brother.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Guadeloupe Jones said:

Peeke not playing has nothing to do with his performance.  He has been dicked around his entire tenure in Columbus, even before he signed this extension.  He was scratched after one game because they are trying to move him.  They loaded up on D-men in the offseason and I guess figured they'd be able to move some of them before the season.

He will be playing tonight - not sure if its a pity start since he's from Florida or what, but seems very odd they would play him and risk injury.

Source : I am close with his brother.

Any chance his brother can trade him to the Canucks for some cap relief and future considerations? Come on man.. he owes you one. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

How many years away is he from being an NHL top 4 calibre guy?

Considering he's not only an 11OA pick, but also a D, probably longer than some people would like. Folks expecting him to jump in and be a top four D sooner than later probably have unrealistic expectations imo. D prospects typically take longer than forwards to get going. 

Willander should be a very good player someday, but there's a good chance he'll need to stew and that he won't be an impact D right off the hop once he makes the bigs. 

The Canucks need him to be a hit, I hope they don't rush him because of NHL level team expectations. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/3/2023 at 6:56 PM, JeremyCuddles said:

That requires a first round pick and a top prospect. And honestly, I don't think we are in that position yet. Even if that pick amounts to a 20-30 range. Our prospect pool is 3 deep. And that's being generous to Brzustewicz. I know fans like him a lot, but they liked Rathbone a lot too. We just don't know yet. The reason Peeke intrigues people is also because we don't really need a big fish, he'd be a low cost acquisition. We have Brzustewics and Willander. One or even both might become something for us. We very much would survive having another Soucy type, top 4/5 guy, while we wait for them to develop. And that is Peeke.

Besides, we are lucky we even found one team willing to trade a top 4 RHD. Not many teams do what Detroit did and give up a mid 20 year old top 4 RHD for peanuts. The odds of us finding another top 4 RHD in trade that cheap is not likely. Peeke, Hronek and Myers and soon to be Bear is more than sufficient for this season. When we have guys like Cole, Huggy, and Soucy on the left side. Is it world class? No, but it's enough to do what we need them to do. Our offence can go toe to toe with any one in the league. We just need a middle of the pack defence and we can do some damage with Demko in net.

I disagree. I'd rather run with Friedman and Myers (or add in Bear) than make a move for someone like Peeke. If we make a move, we get a game changer or leave the chemistry along. Hughes, Cole and Soucy actually is world class, Cole doesn't get enough love. Dude is an absolute defensive stud. Lets give him an RD stud and we legitmately have a tope 5 defense, top 5 offense and top 5 goalie. I have posted elsewhere my parameter's for the type of guy, but in a nutshell, its a prime aged, low contract with years left so we have time with this squad to make multiple runs. Think Andersson, and yes I am willing to give up a first and a prospect for the right guy. We're in the prime of our core, Miller is still better than his contract, so lets not be overly patient.

26 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

I disagree. I'd rather run with Friedman and Myers (or add in Bear) than make a move for someone like Peeke. If we make a move, we get a game changer or leave the chemistry along. Hughes, Cole and Soucy actually is world class, Cole doesn't get enough love. Dude is an absolute defensive stud. Lets give him an RD stud and we legitmately have a tope 5 defense, top 5 offense and top 5 goalie. I have posted elsewhere my parameter's for the type of guy, but in a nutshell, its a prime aged, low contract with years left so we have time with this squad to make multiple runs. Think Andersson, and yes I am willing to give up a first and a prospect for the right guy. We're in the prime of our core, Miller is still better than his contract, so lets not be overly patient.

Rasmus Andersson is going for a lot more than a 1st and a prospect. Especially to us. The only prospect they'd want is Willander. Maybe Lekkerimaki but I doubt it. Dude is a top 2 RHD, making 4.5mil for 2 more years, AND we are a divisional rival. Look what Horvat fetched, and that was the pending UFA price. Peeke is cheap to acquire, fills a need, and also has 2 years on his deal. With OEL's buyout expected to balloon in 2 years. I dunno if we should be throwing away 1sts and prospects from an already depleted prospect pool when those picks and prospects are gonna be how we survive so much dead cap. He's gonna be asking for a mint in 2 years. Peeke won't. And if he does, we didin't give up much to acquire him. So letting Peeke walk for nothing is a lot easier than letting Andersson walk for nothing or overpaying to keep him cause we gave up so much to acquire him.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Rasmus Andersson is going for a lot more than a 1st and a prospect. Especially to us. The only prospect they'd want is Willander. Maybe Lekkerimaki but I doubt it. Dude is a top 2 RHD, making 4.5mil for 2 more years, AND we are a divisional rival. Look what Horvat fetched, and that was the pending UFA price. Peeke is cheap to acquire, fills a need, and also has 2 years on his deal. With OEL's buyout expected to balloon in 2 years. I dunno if we should be throwing away 1sts and prospects from an already depleted prospect pool when those picks and prospects are gonna be how we survive so much dead cap. He's gonna be asking for a mint in 2 years. Peeke won't. And if he does, we didin't give up much to acquire him. So letting Peeke walk for nothing is a lot easier than letting Andersson walk for nothing or overpaying to keep him cause we gave up so much to acquire him.

None of what you are saying is incorrect, just different strategy I think. I personally think we have over rated Peeke and while its possible he has just been squeezed out but given an opportunity could flourish, I don't see it as worth giving up what we'd be giving up. I'd rather run with Friedman and Myers for the year (unless things start going sideways and they are no longer gapping the holes they currently are in a satisfactory way). I don't see Peeke as enough improvement over those two to move the needle up more than our forward group would lose in giving up the Beau or Garland everyone wants to trade for him. 

I would be willing to give up the first, Beau or Garland and either Lekkerimaki or Pod for Andersson. I think it is a realistic proposal, if not giving up too much value on the prospect side considering what it took to get Hronek (but may also bridge the gap of divisional rival extra cost). I see this as making us a legitimate cup contender for the prime of our core, and because Andersson is cost effective for a couple years we can make it work with the cap. When the OEL buyout is higher, we won't have as expensive of a bottom 6 (beau and garland off the books), and I like our pipeline of guys that can replace them internally on ELC's or cheap renewals. Our resignings of Petey, Hronek and others should be covered by the rising cap and Myers coming off the books. We will have Willander, DPetey, McWard, Hirose, Butz all knocking on the door for our 5 and 6 D spots as ELC's to supplement Hughes, Hronek, Andersson, and Soucy long term (hopefully we can keep Cole on one year deals till one of those guys is ready to supplant him). 

My worry is that we wait too long and by the time we make a move, Miller is no longer worth 8 million, our entire core has been resigned to long term high dollar contracts and we have lost our window. It sucks but our window isn't that large despite coming out of a such a dire decade, luckily in what appears to be our first season as a playoff contender, I think we are only 1 move away from being a top 5 team in the NHL for the next few seasons.

I understand the apprehension to giving up such strong future pieces, but thats why it can't be a rental or someone who we'd have to resign right away (Pesce). I think Pod or Lekkerimaki are solid prospects but as wingers are not as crucial considering our depth there, the first would be late and we never hit on those (and it wouldn't be ready to help substantially for a while), and Garland or Beau would make the $ work while also creating the roster spot for Bluegar to replace. 

I won't be upset if they don't take a swing like this, I would just rather they either did nothing right now or did a swing like this rather than a small move like Peeke. 

5 hours ago, Tower102 said:

None of what you are saying is incorrect, just different strategy I think. I personally think we have over rated Peeke and while its possible he has just been squeezed out but given an opportunity could flourish, I don't see it as worth giving up what we'd be giving up. I'd rather run with Friedman and Myers for the year (unless things start going sideways and they are no longer gapping the holes they currently are in a satisfactory way). I don't see Peeke as enough improvement over those two to move the needle up more than our forward group would lose in giving up the Beau or Garland everyone wants to trade for him. 

I would be willing to give up the first, Beau or Garland and either Lekkerimaki or Pod for Andersson. I think it is a realistic proposal, if not giving up too much value on the prospect side considering what it took to get Hronek (but may also bridge the gap of divisional rival extra cost). I see this as making us a legitimate cup contender for the prime of our core, and because Andersson is cost effective for a couple years we can make it work with the cap. When the OEL buyout is higher, we won't have as expensive of a bottom 6 (beau and garland off the books), and I like our pipeline of guys that can replace them internally on ELC's or cheap renewals. Our resignings of Petey, Hronek and others should be covered by the rising cap and Myers coming off the books. We will have Willander, DPetey, McWard, Hirose, Butz all knocking on the door for our 5 and 6 D spots as ELC's to supplement Hughes, Hronek, Andersson, and Soucy long term (hopefully we can keep Cole on one year deals till one of those guys is ready to supplant him). 

My worry is that we wait too long and by the time we make a move, Miller is no longer worth 8 million, our entire core has been resigned to long term high dollar contracts and we have lost our window. It sucks but our window isn't that large despite coming out of a such a dire decade, luckily in what appears to be our first season as a playoff contender, I think we are only 1 move away from being a top 5 team in the NHL for the next few seasons.

I understand the apprehension to giving up such strong future pieces, but thats why it can't be a rental or someone who we'd have to resign right away (Pesce). I think Pod or Lekkerimaki are solid prospects but as wingers are not as crucial considering our depth there, the first would be late and we never hit on those (and it wouldn't be ready to help substantially for a while), and Garland or Beau would make the $ work while also creating the roster spot for Bluegar to replace. 

I won't be upset if they don't take a swing like this, I would just rather they either did nothing right now or did a swing like this rather than a small move like Peeke. 

instead of trading away our 1st and prospect for Andersson, how about sign UFA Noah Hanifin off season?

18 minutes ago, Tank said:

instead of trading away our 1st and prospect for Andersson, how about sign UFA Noah Hanifin off season?

Yeah, but he's also said that he doesn't want to play in Canada. I'd try to see if we can get Pesce, and if not, then Hanifan as back up, and if not either of them, then...Zadorov? 

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Considering he's not only an 11OA pick, but also a D, probably longer than some people would like. Folks expecting him to jump in and be a top four D sooner than later probably have unrealistic expectations imo. D prospects typically take longer than forwards to get going. 

Willander should be a very good player someday, but there's a good chance he'll need to stew and that he won't be an impact D right off the hop once he makes the bigs. 

The Canucks need him to be a hit, I hope they don't rush him because of NHL level team expectations. 

I think if they can find stop gap players like what management is doing right now, it'll allow Willander to stew a little bit in Abby. 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I tend to agree with this.

Hence, my preference to bring in a guy like Rasmus Andersson if it's remotely possible.  Let Andersson come here and give us some more insurance on the back-end just in case one of Hughes or Hronek go down with injury (knock on wood).  I still don't like the fact that there's too big of a drop off in talent between Hronek and whoever is our 3rd best defenseman (Cole/Soucy/Myers).  

Bring in Andersson, have him here for 3 years, and then that in itself could serve as a transition from Andersson to "Top 4 NHL calibre" Willander once Andersson's contract ends.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

True but remember..........playoff hockey is a different beast.  

Oh for sure. But I don't think HH is incapable of more responsible play either, but right now can really tilt play. 

It's also just been 12 games. Lots of time to clean things up.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think if they can find stop gap players like what management is doing right now, it'll allow Willander to stew a little bit in Abby. 

Probs the most likely approach, this management group seems more intent on developing prospects as demonstrated by their sending both Podz and Hoglander to Abbotsford and different points

41 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I tend to agree with this.

Hence, my preference to bring in a guy like Rasmus Andersson if it's remotely possible.  Let Andersson come here and give us some more insurance on the back-end just in case one of Hughes or Hronek go down with injury (knock on wood).  I still don't like the fact that there's too big of a drop off in talent between Hronek and whoever is our 3rd best defenseman (Cole/Soucy/Myers).  

Bring in Andersson, have him here for 3 years, and then that in itself could serve as a transition from Andersson to "Top 4 NHL calibre" Willander once Andersson's contract ends.   

It was always going to take time to turn the D around though, the Hronek trade plus other offseason additions has been part of the process of doing so

Management should be inquiring about everyone, but like I've said to others I don't think Andersson is one of the Flames players for sale

Hanifin, Taven, Zadorov, these are likely the Flames D who are

Andersson is one of two D the Flames have signed beyond this season, they need to ice a team

Realistically, if he is available I don't think we can afford him anyway as there are likely several other teams out there who'd like to upgrade their D as well 

I think it's a bit too early to be pushing picks and prospects in as chips, and those are likely what Calgary would want 

Willander could very well be part of the ask

Management should be looking at hockey trades involving Garland or Beauvillier or waiting til summer imo, UFA's only cost money and if we make the playoffs we probably look more appealing than we did last offseason 

Edited by Coconuts

14 hours ago, Tank said:

Because of four reasons. 1 - it doesn't give us the extra chance this year. 2 - ufa signings are bloated and the point to trading for Andersson is he is well below fair market cap hit for multiple seasons. 3 - Andersson fills the bigger need being RD instead of LD. 4 - planning this far ahead to sign a UFA as your plan is silly strategy because you are banking on something out of your control, Hanifin might have a zero percent interest in Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

Because of four reasons. 1 - it doesn't give us the extra chance this year. 2 - ufa signings are bloated and the point to trading for Andersson is he is well below fair market cap hit for multiple seasons. 3 - Andersson fills the bigger need being RD instead of LD. 4 - planning this far ahead to sign a UFA as your plan is silly strategy because you are banking on something out of your control, Hanifin might have a zero percent interest in Vancouver. 

It's all mute.  No way is Calgary going to consider trading with us.   Maybe a rental like Tanev IF our offer is a lot better than the others.   Agree we should be looking for someone somewhere and for sure would be fine with trading our first for something that isn't a rental. 

Edited by IBatch