[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

On 11/6/2023 at 2:00 PM, Coconuts said:

Considering he's not only an 11OA pick, but also a D, probably longer than some people would like. Folks expecting him to jump in and be a top four D sooner than later probably have unrealistic expectations imo. D prospects typically take longer than forwards to get going. 

Willander should be a very good player someday, but there's a good chance he'll need to stew and that he won't be an impact D right off the hop once he makes the bigs. 

The Canucks need him to be a hit, I hope they don't rush him because of NHL level team expectations. 

Agree.   Given he's a first half of the first round player, he's got a better chance of arriving early, that means best case maybe some games late next season or as a playoff black ace.      Then we should also expect two years to arrive as a top four.    That's also bullish.   

When Button was getting egged on  from Drance and Dawalli and Taylor even last Spring while on, about turning around and "wasting" our Horvat pick on Hronek, he eventually got mad and blasted them, because of how long it takes these guys to get there, and because he also felt he was a legit first pairing RHD right then.    That's what we can hope for when it comes to Willander as well.   20 would be great.   22 playing top four would also be great.   23-24 more likely.   To me he's part of the medium term plans with the existing core.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agree.   Given he's a first half of the first round player, he's got a better chance of arriving early, that means best case maybe some games late next season or as a playoff black ace.      Then we should also expect two years to arrive as a top four.    That's also bullish.   

When Button was getting egged on  from Drance and Dawalli and Taylor even last Spring while on, about turning around and "wasting" our Horvat pick on Hronek, he eventually got mad and blasted them, because of how long it takes these guys to get there, and because he also felt he was a legit first pairing RHD right then.    That's what we can hope for when it comes to Willander as well.   20 would be great.   22 playing top four would also be great.   23-24 more likely.   To me he's part of the medium term plans with the existing core.    

Yup is he's even out of college next season, I hope he's in Abby with maybe some call ups.

Year after, maybe bottom pair with some injury fill in time in the top 4. Possibly for a good couple seasons.

Then if we're lucky, ready for a top 4 spot after that. Anything quicker than that time line is gravy. We should be planning for an interim body there (2nd pair RHD) for a good 2-4 years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Both Peeke and Boqvist played today in a 5-4 loss to Detroit. Peeke 10 minutes of ice time 0 points -3. Boqvist 10 minutes of ice time 0 points -2. They have to make a trade these guy trade values are plummeting. They are scratched a lot and when they finally get in I’m not sure if it’s rust or what but they’re not playing well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Both Peeke and Boqvist played today in a 5-4 loss to Detroit. Peeke 10 minutes of ice time 0 points -3. Boqvist 10 minutes of ice time 0 points -2. They have to make a trade these guy trade values are plummeting. They are scratched a lot and when they finally get in I’m not sure if it’s rust or what but they’re not playing well.

Hard pass on Peeke! 😂

How do you end up -3 with 10 minutes of ice time…

• ThereItIs 2

31 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hard pass on Peeke! 😂

How do you end up -3 with 10 minutes of ice time…

But on Thursday Peeke played 16 minutes and was the only Columbus defenseman without a minus. He's been in the lineup the last 3 games instead of Jiricek so it seems they are starting to play him regularly again. Clearly Boqvist and Peeke were playing as a pairing today but I didn't watch the game so I don't know who is playing their off-side.

He isn't some magic bullet fix, but straight up for Beauvillier I still think Peeke is an upgrade over Friedman. The main point being that he wouldn't cost much or really disrupt any team chemistry.

• Vintage 1

On 11/11/2023 at 5:32 PM, Diamonds said:

But on Thursday Peeke played 16 minutes and was the only Columbus defenseman without a minus. He's been in the lineup the last 3 games instead of Jiricek so it seems they are starting to play him regularly again. Clearly Boqvist and Peeke were playing as a pairing today but I didn't watch the game so I don't know who is playing their off-side.

He isn't some magic bullet fix, but straight up for Beauvillier I still think Peeke is an upgrade over Friedman. The main point being that he wouldn't cost much or really disrupt any team chemistry.

I wouldn't mind that trade and I'm not sure why it hasn't happened. I think Peeke is worse as a player but we also save almost 2 mil in cap space. We could sign Bear with that money.

Hughes.      Hronek

Cole            Myers

Soucy         Peeke

Friedman    Bear

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I wouldn't mind that trade and I'm not sure why it hasn't happened. I think Peeke is worse as a player but we also save almost 2 mil in cap space. We could sign Bear with that money.

Hughes.      Hronek

Cole            Myers

Soucy         Peeke

Friedman    Bear

Why would we sign Bear and then put him as a 7/8 defenseman?

I'm feeling like Management might have moved on from being interested in Bear. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Why would we sign Bear and then put him as a 7/8 defenseman?

I'm feeling like Management might have moved on from being interested in Bear. 

Depth mostly. The Hughes-Bear pair was great last year and leaves options to separate Hughes from Hronek. I haven't heard any rumours management has moved on from Bear.