[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

13 minutes ago, toochmahgooch said:

Would rather a Peeke for Beauvillier trade. I am biased with Garland. Really enjoy watching him play. I know we rather have 2 way versatility with our forwards and paying a 3rd line forward 5 million per, who doesn't play on your first PP or PK for that matter doesn't make sense long term. Buttt, it's Garland. He's entertaining. 

I think either Beau or Garland would work, let the Bluejackets decide who's the best fit for them.

Selfishly I'd prefer Garland be traded as he's a higher cap hit and signed for 2 more seasons after this one. Beau could be a trade chip at the deadline to recoup a draft pick or be a sweetner in a larger deal (I might be dreaming though) as he's a UFA next season. In that senario Beau might be the more attractive piece to the Bluejackets though.   

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Couldn't agree more. I don't know why some people can't see how obvious it is. He's signed for two more years right during the big OEL hit. Like it's great he's fun to watch but he's a huge obstacle to our getting any better. Do we want to watch cool water bugs who arguably produce at 2nd line levels or do we want to win some playoff games?

I love Garland's game WHEN paired with larger talented players. He was electric when paired with Miller and the MIA 2021 version of Podz. Having said that, he is top 6 or bust with Hogs on the team.  As such, with a ~5m cap hit, expendable.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I see Peeke as more of a longterm answer at RHD 3rd pair once Willander is ready to take the step. WE really don't have a player at RHD that can play his role...and even more thin on the whole D with Soucy's injury.

Yup, very good points. Great when you can kill two birds with one stone. That works now and in the future.

I don't really think Columbus needs another winger. I think they are looking for a top six center. 

Its so dire that they have moved Patrik Laine to center to fill the void at the moment. I don't think adding another winger really helps them. 

I dont see us being a match with them. 

20 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I love Garland's game WHEN paired with larger talented players. He was electric when paired with Miller and the MIA 2021 version of Podz. Having said that, he is top 6 or bust with Hogs on the team.  As such, with a ~5m cap hit, expendable.

That's the thing with Garland. It's always a lot of conditions, like if he was bigger he's great, he's great at getting penalties, he's a feisty fighter, if we only had the right players he'd be a great fit. Unfortunately we don't, and he's not. We're not stocked with bigger two way players in the top 6 to compliment his game. He's never really helped us achieve anything and we have always needed that $5 mil to enhance the team in several important areas. I am not looking forward to him blocking a better Canucks team for another 2 years after this one.

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I like Peeke, but I have a feeling there is not going to be any defense additions at least not early on here. May actually see Bear come back if anything.

Peeke might cost too much. What is the rumor for what Columbus is asking for these defensemen?

Please make this happen 🤣, Just losing Sousy has really shown how pathetic our RHD depth is - if one more goes down when are going to bottom out hard i think. 

We have soooo many surplus wingers - if the right D is available they gotta try and make it work.

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's the thing with Garland. It's always a lot of conditions, like if he was bigger he's great, he's great at getting penalties, he's a feisty fighter, if we only had the right players he'd be a great fit. Unfortunately we don't, and he's not. We're not stocked with bigger two way players in the top 6 to compliment his game. He's never really helped us achieve anything and we have always needed that $5 mil to enhance the team in several important areas. I am not looking forward to him blocking a better Canucks team for another 2 years after this one.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Benning and the management at that time saw in Garland. Benning also came from a Boston Bruins organization that tended to always look for tough, larger, and physical players. So acquiring Garland was a bit of a head-scratcher, because he was none of those things. He's basically a player that doesn't fit the roster, but management can't seem to move him, because nobody wants the price Garland comes at. In other words, he's not worth it for his price tag at a flat cap world. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I don't really think Columbus needs another winger. I think they are looking for a top six center. 

Its so dire that they have moved Patrik Laine to center to fill the void at the moment. I don't think adding another winger really helps them. 

I dont see us being a match with them. 

I mean, if they wanted to give us a *great* package for Miller that included Peeke, would that be interesting to us? Miller and Beau for Roslovic, Peeke and their 1st? Maybe they add a little? Swap Rathbone for Bjork as well?

Edited by elvis15

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Please make this happen 🤣, Just losing Sousy has really shown how pathetic our RHD depth is - if one more goes down when are going to bottom out hard i think. 

We have soooo many surplus wingers - if the right D is available they gotta try and make it work.

But he's a natural LHD

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

Well... let's say the Blue Jackets are willing to deal both Peeke and Boqvist for Garland & a pick/prospect.... you would wanna bet on Boqvist having a healthy season?? One huge thing that concerns me about Peeke is his +/- !! what's the point of acquiring a durable D-man if he can't defend well? 

+/- has to be taken into context.  Columbus is a last place team.  Gaudreau went from +64 in Calgary to -33 in Columbus.  

If all of the Columbus players were in the + while Peeke was at -41, then that would be a huge concern.  But when the whole team is in double digit -, doesn't mean anything.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

what, was Taj not available?

they let Coghlan and Bjork pass them by for free. There is no trade coming for a RHD at this time. They are going with what they have and as the season goes along and the salary cap gets chewed away you may see a signing or later in the year a trade if its moving a forward out or interchanging Myers in a deal.

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

they let Coghlan and Bjork pass them by for free. There is no trade coming for a RHD at this time. They are going with what they have and as the season goes along and the salary cap gets chewed away you may see a signing or later in the year a trade if its moving a forward out or interchanging Myers in a deal.

I think they could be working on something more significant. Another waiver dude is fine as far as it goes, but to make a real impact we need to move Garland. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Not necessarily. Caleb Jones was on waivers the other day and Colorado just traded for him. It all depends on if a player fits in the salary cap and if a team needs to make other moves to fit him in. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Couldn't agree more. I don't know why some people can't see how obvious it is. He's signed for two more years right during the big OEL hit. Like it's great he's fun to watch but he's a huge obstacle to our getting any better. Do we want to watch cool water bugs who arguably produce at 2nd line levels or do we want to win some playoff games?

I wouldn't say he's solely the reason for any progression. Myers is vastly overpaid. Our 3rd line should be bigger, with more grit and two way versatility. So I would welcome a Garland trade, but I do enjoy watching him play. 

33 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I mean, if they wanted to give us a *great* package for Miller that included Peeke, would that be interesting to us? Miller and Beau for Roslovic, Peeke and their 1st? Maybe they add a little? Swap Rathbone for Bjork as well?

I thought Miller has a NTC that just kicked in?? If true, then he is universally no matter how much we might like to (I don't by the way)