[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

https://www.tsn.ca/report-columbus-blue-jackets-working-the-phones-to-move-a-defenceman-1.2024714?tsn

It appears NHL clubs in need of help on the blueline should give the Columbus Blue Jackets a call.

Aaron Portzline of The Athletic(opens in a new tab) reports Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekäläinen "is still working the phones in an attempt to trade a defenceman."

The Blue Jackets are carrying eight blueliners on their NHL roster, with Adam Boqvist and Andrew Peeke serving as healthy scratches in their most recent games. 

Portzline notes that rookie David Jiricek has jumped Boqvist and Peeke for a role in the top six, but is the only member of the group who can be assigned to the AHL without clearing waivers. 

Jiricek, selected sixth overall in the 2022 draft, has a goal and an assist in four games this season. The 19-year-old appeared in four games with the Blue Jackets last season, spending the majority of the year with the AHL's Cleveland Monsters.

Boqvist is without a point in two games this season. The 23-year-old had five goals and 24 points in 46 games with the Blue Jackets last season while averaging 18:38 of ice time. 

Selected eighth overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2018 draft, he was acquired by the Blue Jackets as part of their return for Seth Jones in 2021.

Peeke has not played since dressing in the team's season-opening loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Oct. 12. The 25-year-old, who did not record a point against the Flyers, had six goals and 13 points in 80 games last season.

A second-round pick of the Blue Jackets in 2016, Peeke is signed through the 2025-26 season at a cap hit of $2.75 million. 

Boqvist is signed through the 2024-25 season at cap hit of $2.6 million. 

The Blue Jackets boosted their defensive depth this off-season by adding Damon Severson in a sign-and-trade with the New Jersey Devils and acquiring Ivan Provorov from the Flyers. 

• Thanks 2

I don't know Jiriceks game. He's a righty, young, big, I like those attributes. Columbus doesn't really need more wingers but something around Beau, or Garland, our first, Woo should be offered. Like I said though, depends on the young man's talents. If he is a legit future top four righty, I'd put out first on play. With him being 19 years old why not offer the first if he's a great prospect? Not like this franchise has much luck developing dmen. We're historically brutal at it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

https://www.tsn.ca/report-columbus-blue-jackets-working-the-phones-to-move-a-defenceman-1.2024714?tsn

It appears NHL clubs in need of help on the blueline should give the Columbus Blue Jackets a call.

Aaron Portzline of The Athletic(opens in a new tab) reports Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekäläinen "is still working the phones in an attempt to trade a defenceman."

The Blue Jackets are carrying eight blueliners on their NHL roster, with Adam Boqvist anAndrew Peeke serving as healthy scratches in their most recent games. 

Portzline notes that rookie David Jiricek has jumped Boqvist and Peeke for a role in the top six, but is the only member of the group who can be assigned to the AHL without clearing waivers. 

Jiricek, selected sixth overall in the 2022 draft, has a goal and an assist in four games this season. The 19-year-old appeared in four games with the Blue Jackets last season, spending the majority of the year with the AHL's Cleveland Monsters.

Boqvist is without a point in two games this season. The 23-year-old had five goals and 24 points in 46 games with the Blue Jackets last season while averaging 18:38 of ice time. 

Selected eighth overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2018 draft, he was acquired by the Blue Jackets as part of their return for Seth Jones in 2021.

Peeke has not played since dressing in the team's season-opening loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Oct. 12. The 25-year-old, who did not record a point against the Flyers, had six goals and 13 points in 80 games last season.

A second-round pick of the Blue Jackets in 2016, Peeke is signed through the 2025-26 season at a cap hit of $2.75 million. 

Boqvist is signed through the 2024-25 season at cap hit of $2.6 million. 

The Blue Jackets boosted their defensive depth this off-season by adding Damon Severson in a sign-and-trade with the New Jersey Devils and acquiring Ivan Provorov from the Flyers. 

While CBJ doesn't def need wingers, would it not be better to have a player like garland who is certainly a top 9 player over a guy like Peeke you are not dressing....

I am surprised CBJ has not yet moved one of these two D men, I think a player like garland is the upper end of what you could expect in a return for a guy like Peeke.

Having Peeke would at least give us a Myers alternative and some cap space he is probably a number 5 d man at best, but could slot in at 6

20 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I don't know Jiriceks game. He's a righty, young, big, I like those attributes. Columbus doesn't really need more wingers but something around Beau, or Garland, our first, Woo should be offered. Like I said though, depends on the young man's talents. If he is a legit future top four righty, I'd put out first on play. With him being 19 years old why not offer the first if he's a great prospect? Not like this franchise has much luck developing dmen. We're historically brutal at it.

Would you have traded Hughes when he was 19 for a first round pick?

Theres about as much likelihood that they move Jiricek. He’s their future.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It's adorable that you think that offer would even begin to get Columbus's attention when it comes to Jiricek.  

8 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Wonder if PA and JK are in a trade standoff over cap retention.  Both GMs seeing who’ll blink first. 

I think that's likely 

but given Peeke is not a massive upgrade on TM fires, I would hope we do not blink first, garland is overall a more useful player than Peeke

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

@Miss Korea  you got one of dem charts for Peeke?

Dave Chappelle Crackhead GIF

11 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

I know they’ve posted it on here before

Hope so. Returns have been solid for those 5ths so far…

Everytime that damned @Elias Pettersson makes a proposal I put it up.

image.png.c2b0531d41568893a26af72bb44ac9a2.png

He is a very safe, defensive defenceman.  If the intention is to keep Hronek with Hughes, I'm not sure Peeke is a good fit playing alongside Cole.

If we have any thoughts of signing Bear again, we don't really need to trade for Peeke.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Everytime that damned @Elias Pettersson makes a proposal I put it up.

image.png.c2b0531d41568893a26af72bb44ac9a2.png

He is a very safe, defensive defenceman.  If the intention is to keep Hronek with Hughes, I'm not sure Peeke is a good fit playing alongside Cole.

If we have any thoughts of signing Bear again, we don't really need to trade for Peeke.

Yes we would as Bear would not be needed at all plus we get Garland traded.Win win.

I do not get the Bear talk we got Friedman who is the same but more bite.

At this point Bear is going somewhere else unless we get multiple injuries as McWard looked better then Bear preseason.

We also have Hirose who looks better then Bear and a couple of our D can play both sides.I would be shocked if we signed Bear as that's a step backwards.

Edited by cripplereh
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Would you have traded Hughes when he was 19 for a first round pick?

Theres about as much likelihood that they move Jiricek. He’s their future.

Thats the reponse I seem to be getting. Lol. Like I said,, I have no idea how good Jiricek is. Sounds like a real good prospect. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

There's probably a 0% chance Columbus moves Jiricek. They're trying to trade Peeke/Boqvist to make room for him. Jiricek had a monster rookie year in the AHL as an 18/19 year old and was named best defenseman at the WJC last year. He is a major component for their future with top 2 upside.

Fair enough. I really don't know Jiriceks game, so I can agree knowing he seems a grade A prospect. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

It's adorable that you think that offer would even begin to get Columbus's attention when it comes to Jiricek.  

Agreed. Like I said, I don't know Jiriceks game. If he's as good as your all saying. It wlll take a lot to move him. More than our magic beans and garden weeds.

Garland for Peeke over and over lol. 

CBJ get a scoring wing with some term. Yeah a little more expensive then what they likely want to pay him. However, currently they have too many Dman taking up cap and not even playing. Peeke being scratched at 2.75 is not nothing. 

I'm surprised actually it is taking this long for anyone to make a move. Not a ton of trading partners available for teams right now. 

Am I crazy to view this trade as Garland for Peeke & Bear? 

If they go 1 for 1 for Peeke, that should free up the space to sign Bear when he's ready to go. Big upgrade on the right side to add 2 capable RHD. 

When viewed as such, if PA sweetens with a pick or prospect, I'd be happier with that versus retaining on Garland. 

Maybe Garland + Klimovich? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

I think they would turn that down in an instant. He was a 6th overall and our first could in the 20's easily. No amount of Beau's or Garland's will help that out. They are actually negative value. I wish though, Jiricek is a hell of a player.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Yes we would as Bear would not be needed at all plus we get Garland traded.Win win.

I do not get the Bear talk we got Friedman who is the same but more bite.

At this point Bear is going somewhere else unless we get multiple injuries as McWard looked better then Bear preseason.

We also have Hirose who looks better then Bear and a couple of our D can play both sides.I would be shocked if we signed Near as that's a step backwards.

Bear and Friedman are miles apart.  Bear is a legit NHLer who has years of experience under his belt.  The only reason he didn't get signed was because of a rough injury requiring major surgery.

Mark Friedman is a backup defenceman.  He has been waived multiple times (claimed once!!) and is not a full-time NHL player.

The level of disrespect towards Ethan Bear here is absurd.

The longer this drags on, the more I think we're just waiting for Bear to come back and have him fill out our bottom 2 pairing. We're so tight to the cap that I don't think we can do anything more significant, as much as we think how some of these proposals could work with Columbus. 

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

Am I crazy to view this trade as Garland for Peeke & Bear? 

If they go 1 for 1 for Peeke, that should free up the space to sign Bear when he's ready to go. Big upgrade on the right side to add 2 capable RHD. 

When viewed as such, if PA sweetens with a pick or prospect, I'd be happier with that versus retaining on Garland. 

Maybe Garland + Klimovich? 

Dunno if I'd wanna give up on Klimovich tbh, but we're not in a great spot with Garland as far as leverage goes either 

I'm not sure Bear is necessary if we bring in Peeke though