[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

21 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Bear and Friedman are miles apart.  Bear is a legit NHLer who has years of experience under his belt.  The only reason he didn't get signed was because of a rough injury requiring major surgery.

Mark Friedman is a backup defenceman.  He has been waived multiple times (claimed once!!) and is not a full-time NHL player.

The level of disrespect towards Ethan Bear here is absurd.

Bear hasn’t proven anything yet though. He’s been relatively disposable in that he’s played in 6 NHL  seasons on 3 teams already.
His best season was 21 pts in 71 games with Edmonton and he did play some heavy minutes with the club, but I think due to his size and lack of progression in his game, for now he still remains a bottom pairing player at best.

He has yet to sign any longterm deal (longest was 2 seasons) and that is likely because by all accounts he’s still viewed as a stop gap option. 

I don’t agree that he’s under appreciated / under valued or disrespected here at all. If he can expand on his metrics which are pretty decent and prove he belongs as anything more than a 5/6 then I’d be pleasantly surprised. But he’s simply not that yet on any good team. You have to admit that much about him. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Yes we would as Bear would not be needed at all plus we get Garland traded.Win win.

I do not get the Bear talk we got Friedman who is the same but more bite.

At this point Bear is going somewhere else unless we get multiple injuries as McWard looked better then Bear preseason.

We also have Hirose who looks better then Bear and a couple of our D can play both sides.I would be shocked if we signed Near as that's a step backwards.

That's what I think too but we're in the minority it looks like. It will be too late for most when he brings the same defensive woes from last year and people are calling for his head. It feels like a step backwards for me too. We already saw lots of meh but I would hope there is a time when we want and get more than that.

Would love to get Garland moved and get that Bear off our backs at the same time. 😉 

• ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's what I think too but we're in the minority it looks like. It will be too late for most when he brings the same defensive woes from last year and people are calling for his head. It feels like a step backwards for me too. We already saw lots of meh but I would hope there is a time when we want and get more than that.

Would love to get Garland moved and get that Bear off our backs at the same time. 😉 

The reason for Bear being an attractive option is because we still don’t really have depth on D. It would serve us best to have another spare part Dman with NHL experience. Bear fits the mold for cheap too. Our vet Abby guys haven’t yet shown they should stick and Hirose needs a bit more time, so what other options do we have? 

I’d do Bear on a 1 year deal for 850K-1mill but nothing more.

I also think we provide Bear with one of the best playing options to further his career. 

There have already been depth options on waivers that were somewhat serviceable as a spare but not entirely comparable and perhaps not a player you want to actively keep on your 23 man roster. Bear is a solid step up on all of them and has 251 NHL games under his belt. That helps in terms of playing consistency and expectation at the NHL level. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Everytime that damned @Elias Pettersson makes a proposal I put it up.

image.png.c2b0531d41568893a26af72bb44ac9a2.png

He is a very safe, defensive defenceman.  If the intention is to keep Hronek with Hughes, I'm not sure Peeke is a good fit playing alongside Cole.

If we have any thoughts of signing Bear again, we don't really need to trade for Peeke.

Thanks @Miss Korea

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Everytime that damned @Elias Pettersson makes a proposal I put it up.

image.png.c2b0531d41568893a26af72bb44ac9a2.png

He is a very safe, defensive defenceman.  If the intention is to keep Hronek with Hughes, I'm not sure Peeke is a good fit playing alongside Cole.

If we have any thoughts of signing Bear again, we don't really need to trade for Peeke.

giphy (1).gif

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

The reason for Bear being an attractive option is because we still don’t really have depth on D. It would serve us best to have another spare part Dman with NHL experience. Bear fits the mold for cheap too. Our vet Abby guys haven’t yet shown they should stick and Hirose needs a bit more time, so what other options do we have? 

I also think we provide Bear with one of the best playing options to further his career. 

There have already been depth options on waivers that were somewhat serviceable as a spare but not entirely comparable and perhaps not a player you want to actively keep on your 23 man roster. Bear is a solid step up on all of them and has 251 NHL games under his belt. That helps in terms of playing consistency and expectation at the NHL level. 

Yeah I could handle that deal and I totally get the need for us. For this season he's definitely a player who could be better than what we have. Provided his recovery goes well of course.

I really thought they would have addressed this before the season started as there were several options on waivers and perhaps in a trade.

I get what you're saying about limited options and I agree but there is also the matter of timing that really doesn't jive for my math. Bear won't be healthy for probably 32 games yet give or take. 32 games by my count anyway takes us to Jan 2. So are we just supposed to tread water until then and then voila ... here comes Bear to save the day? It doesn't seem like a very well thought out plan to me and could be too late by then, or no? In addition he may need to be eased back into action. Not something I would be hanging my hat on myself.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Bear and Friedman are miles apart.  Bear is a legit NHLer who has years of experience under his belt.  The only reason he didn't get signed was because of a rough injury requiring major surgery.

Mark Friedman is a backup defenceman.  He has been waived multiple times (claimed once!!) and is not a full-time NHL player.

The level of disrespect towards Ethan Bear here is absurd.

Yes true and that's all we need right now.McWard is better then Bear so Bear would be an extra.

4 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Am I crazy to view this trade as Garland for Peeke & Bear? 

If they go 1 for 1 for Peeke, that should free up the space to sign Bear when he's ready to go. Big upgrade on the right side to add 2 capable RHD. 

When viewed as such, if PA sweetens with a pick or prospect, I'd be happier with that versus retaining on Garland. 

Maybe Garland + Klimovich? 

Again why Bear if we we trade for Peeke?

Just cause we might have cap room.

That's laughable.Keep the cap room for TDL.

Bear would have to be sent down to the minors as we got Friedman.

16 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Yes true and that's all we need right now.McWard is better then Bear so Bear would be an extra.

Think you have an unreasonably low opinion of Bear. He's had extended stays in the top 4 in both Edmonton and Vancouver.   McWard has yet to earn an NHL job, and Friedman is a journeyman depth defenseman.  

Pretty sure at this point Bear > Friedman > McWard (who has the potential to surpass both of them in the next year or two)

Why is this forum board so in love with Peeke? He's been a healthy scratch for all but one game this season. This is a CBJ team that already has injuries on D and Peeke isn't even filling in. What is he going to do for us?

20 hours ago, RWJC said:

Bear hasn’t proven anything yet though. He’s been relatively disposable in that he’s played in 6 NHL  seasons on 3 teams already.
His best season was 21 pts in 71 games with Edmonton and he did play some heavy minutes with the club, but I think due to his size and lack of progression in his game, for now he still remains a bottom pairing player at best.

He has yet to sign any longterm deal (longest was 2 seasons) and that is likely because by all accounts he’s still viewed as a stop gap option. 

I don’t agree that he’s under appreciated / under valued or disrespected here at all. If he can expand on his metrics which are pretty decent and prove he belongs as anything more than a 5/6 then I’d be pleasantly surprised. But he’s simply not that yet on any good team. You have to admit that much about him. 

Yeah his shoulder injury might not allow him to come back at 100%... Some people are excited and expecting him to come back and be in tip top shape/form and it just not a guarantee at all. I do agree he's never proved to be a solid #2 RD either long term. So I don't get the hype. He played well for us but.. meh

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, RWJC said:

We shouldn't continue practice to be happy with average and plug players.Trade players with pick and young talent to get quality player back 

26 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Why is this forum board so in love with Peeke? He's been a healthy scratch for all but one game this season. This is a CBJ team that already has injuries on D and Peeke isn't even filling in. What is he going to do for us?

If we had Severson, Jiricek and Gurbranson on the right side we wouldn’t need Peeke either. 

Peeke is definitely an upgrade on Myers, Freidman and Juulsen. And he’s better than Bear. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah his shoulder injury might not allow him to come back at 100%... Some people are excited and expecting him to come back and be in tip top shape/form and it just not a guarantee at all. I do agree he's never proved to be a solid #2 RD either long term. So I don't get the hype. He played well for us but.. meh

Bear has never proven himself to be a top 4 guy. He’s a 5/6 Dman on a good day who can fill in the top 4 for a short period of time. 

The only team who played him regularly in the top 4 was Edmonton. I’m pretty sure even Jett Woo could play top 4 minutes in Edmonton. 

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gubranson is their tough guy who plays every game. He’s rarely taken out of the lineup.  They don’t need Peeke or Boqvist unless there is an injury. 

Ok so why do we want Peeke to play 6D if he isn't the tough guy on his team? I'm confused. What does Peeke bring if he can't even crack an NHL lineup on a bubble team?

Are we hoping a healthy scratch player is going to cut it as Hughes' partner? If so, why don't we just get the free asset in Bear, who's shown he can play with him?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Huggy Bear said:

Think you have an unreasonably low opinion of Bear. He's had extended stays in the top 4 in both Edmonton and Vancouver.   McWard has yet to earn an NHL job, and Friedman is a journeyman depth defenseman.  

Pretty sure at this point Bear > Friedman > McWard (who has the potential to surpass both of them in the next year or two)

You say tip 4 on two teams that had some of the worst D in the league .You are overrating Bear by far.On a giid team he git traded to us as he couldn't even make the 7th  D man.

Bear is decent but should not be an option for us as we have at keast two that are around his level and three lhd that can play both sides that are better then Bear.

Like I said unless three get hurt for a long period of time it is useless to sign Bear at this point.

We also don't know if a trade might happen and that would be a better bet as we move money to get one.

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

For me it's getting rid of a contract or player for one to help now.Means Bear is not needed.

7 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Bear would come at a fraction of Peeke's cost and probably signed for a single year, compared to Peeke's 3 years.. Bear gives us more flexibility

Not really as next year when Myers is gone we would need two RHD as is.We have McWard , Woo and Johansson which one should make it he team.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Not really as next year when Myers is gone we would need two RHD as is.We have McWard , Woo and Johansson which one should make it he team.

if Willander can step in that would take care of a spot as well. They are saying his skating is already above NHL average. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we had Severson, Jiricek and Gurbranson on the right side we wouldn’t need Peeke either. 

Peeke is definitely an upgrade on Myers, Freidman and Juulsen. And he’s better than Bear. 

Do we know that, though?  Different styles of play, and their recent analytics favour Bear from what I gather.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

You say tip 4 on two teams that had some of the worst D in the league .You are overrating Bear by far.On a giid team he git traded to us as he couldn't even make the 7th  D man.

Bear is decent but should not be an option for us as we have at keast two that are around his level and three lhd that can play both sides that are better then Bear.

Like I said unless three get hurt for a long period of time it is useless to sign Bear at this point.

We also don't know if a trade might happen and that would be a better bet as we move money to get one.

lol. I’m overrating Bear by putting him ahead of Friedman? 

Think you’re jumping the gun on our prospects. McWard wasn't deemed ready for a job Bear has already done.