[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

39 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Do we know that, though?  Different styles of play, and their recent analytics favour Bear from what I gather.

Peeke has been a top 4 Dman for the last two years averaging 21 minutes a night.  He’s also a beast on the PK averaging almost 250 minutes per year on the PK the last two years. 

He basically lost his spot in the lineup to the best 19 year old defenceman in the world. That’s why he isn’t playing. 

Bear has bounced around to 3 different teams already. The only time he was a regular in the top 4 was when he was with Edmonton. Even Jett Woo could make Edmonton’s top 4. 

Bear is coming off major shoulder surgery. I highly doubt he’s going to step in and be a force right away. He’s not even going to be in game shape until January. 

I’d rather have a minute muncher like Peeke who can maybe play a better defensive game under Adam Foote and be a force on the PK so Myers doesn’t have to do that anymore. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Peeke has been a top 4 Dman for the last two years averaging 21 minutes a night.  He’s also a beast on the PK averaging almost 250 minutes per year on the PK the last two years. 

He basically lost his spot in the lineup to the best 19 year old defenceman in the world. That’s why he isn’t playing. 

Bear has bounced around to 3 different teams already. The only time he was a regular in the top 4 was when he was with Edmonton. Even Jett Woo could make Edmonton’s top 4. 

Bear is coming off major shoulder surgery. I highly doubt he’s going to step in and be a force right away. He’s not even going to be in game shape until January. 

I’d rather have a minute muncher like Peeke who can maybe play a better defensive game under Adam Foote and be a force on the PL so Myers doesn’t have to do that anymore. 

alright fine…. give us Peeke 😄

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Ok so why do we want Peeke to play 6D if he isn't the tough guy on his team? I'm confused. What does Peeke bring if he can't even crack an NHL lineup on a bubble team?

Are we hoping a healthy scratch player is going to cut it as Hughes' partner? If so, why don't we just get the free asset in Bear, who's shown he can play with him?

Solid defensive play, physicality, shot blocks and PK's.

Whether he plays with Huggy, Cole or Soucy, he brings needed elements this team presently lacks. For the price of a redundant winger we don't need (plus presumably some cap savings on top of that).

Frankly I'd add Bear as well when healthy. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Ok so why do we want Peeke to play 6D if he isn't the tough guy on his team? I'm confused. What does Peeke bring if he can't even crack an NHL lineup on a bubble team?

Are we hoping a healthy scratch player is going to cut it as Hughes' partner? If so, why don't we just get the free asset in Bear, who's shown he can play with him?

Why would Peeke need to be our tough guy?  Is Bear a tough guy?  

Peeke could probably replace Hronek and play with Hughes. He’s used to playing 21 minutes a night and eating hard minutes on the PK. That’s my vision for Peeke. 

Put him under the guidance of Adam Foote and he may improve his game so he isn’t winning any more green jackets. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would Peeke need to be our tough guy?  Is Bear a tough guy?  

Peeke could probably replace Hronek and play with Hughes. He’s used to playing 21 minutes a night and eating hard minutes on the PK. That’s my vision for Peeke. 

Put him under the guidance of Adam Foote and he may improve his game so he isn’t winning any more green jackets. 

Would not mind Peeke at all. But if there was a deal in place, it probably would be done already. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Andrew Peeke

To Columbus:

Anthony Beauvillier 

Akito Hirose 

We have tons of young Dmen on the way thanks to Allvin. We can afford to sacrifice Hirose for some immediate help. 

I wanna keep Hirose. I think he's going to be a good player for us. 

I think Garland would be more the player that's being moved, rather than Beau who hasn't produced at all in 6 games. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wanna keep Hirose. I think he's going to be a good player for us. 

I think Garland would be more the player that's being moved, rather than Beau who hasn't produced at all in 6 games. 

I like Hirose, but honestly, we have lots of up-and-coming Dmen now thanks to Allvin actually drafting some.  Willander, Brzustewicz, Kudryavtsev, these are the 3 puck movers that we have now.  Plus, D-Petey, McWard, Johansson.  Joni Jurmo is still around.  Who knows, Celebrini could be a player too.  Then of course we have Hughes and Hronek.  That's lots of young Dmen.  Hirose is already 24, he's actually technically older than Hughes.  Peeke is only one year older than Hirose, with already 4 years of NHL experience.  Under Foote, he may turn out to be a reliable defensive Dman who can play in the top 4.

• ThereItIs 2

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Andrew Peeke

To Columbus:

Anthony Beauvillier 

Akito Hirose 

We have tons of young Dmen on the way thanks to Allvin. We can afford to sacrifice Hirose for some immediate help. 

I'd be good with that, but doubt Allvin trades Hirose since he just signed him. I'd rather see Beau traded than Garly, but of course I'd want both traded

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like Hirose, but honestly, we have lots of up-and-coming Dmen now thanks to Allvin actually drafting some.  Willander, Brzustewicz, Kudryavtsev, these are the 3 puck movers that we have now.  Plus, D-Petey, McWard, Johansson.  Joni Jurmo is still around.  Who knows, Celebrini could be a player too.  Then of course we have Hughes and Hronek.  That's lots of young Dmen.  Hirose is already 24, he's actually technically older than Hughes.  Peeke is only one year older than Hirose, with already 4 years of NHL experience.  Under Foote, he may turn out to be a reliable defensive Dman who can play in the top 4.

We just signed Hirose less then a year ago. What college free agent would want to sign here after that?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mysterious Canuck said:

We just signed Hirose less then a year ago. What college free agent would want to sign here after that?

True.  But how many college free agents are actually playing with us in the NHL?  Zero?

Seems like the college free agent route isn't Allvin's main focus.  His main focus is European players...

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  But how many college free agents are actually playing with us in the NHL?  Zero?

Seems like the college free agent route isn't Allvin's main focus.  His main focus is European players...

Plus we have depth and why Alvin has signed who he could to make the franchise better.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

You dont have to chose.Trade both for solid RD.

I think it's possible that Beau and Garland are both gone before season's end. 

But with the Canucks now, 5-2, on the season, management is in a good place. They are in no pressure to make any trades or changes. I mean, of course, if they could make a trade to upgrade in a particular area on the team, I think they do it. But they're sitting kinda nice at the moment, so no rush. 

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it's possible that Beau and Garland are both gone before season's end. 

But with the Canucks now, 5-2, on the season, management is in a good place. They are in no pressure to make any trades or changes. I mean, of course, if they could make a trade to upgrade in a particular area on the team, I think they do it. But they're sitting kinda nice at the moment, so no rush. 

We need one more Hronek like player.Balance is important.

1 minute ago, Lemon Face said:

We need one more Hronek like player.Balance is important.

Which player would that be? 

Peeke seems like the most ideal candidate. 25 yo, right around where the core is at. 

But I'm sure that if a deal was close, we'd be hearing about it. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Which player would that be? 

Peeke seems like the most ideal candidate. 25 yo, right around where the core is at. 

But I'm sure that if a deal was close, we'd be hearing about it. 

PA fishing to free some money.If would be one for one would be done long time ago.Columbus having Boquist and Peeke seating.Not ideal.Any deal where you get reed of extra players for something you need is good business in my mind.But again there is few more teams in the game

4 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Columbus shut out tonight. 

Need more offence?

Conor Garland Goal 2021 GIF by Vancouver Canucks

Allvin will be patient.  Columbus has lost their last 3 games (2 in overtime).  They can’t sit Peeke and Boqvist in the press box forever.  At some point, they have to make a move.  I’d give it two more weeks max and they will trade one of them. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Okay. So they're at .500. Not sure how to interpret the -5 goal differential. is that bad? 

In eight games, they’ve scored 20g, and surrendered 25g. I’d say their scoring is anemic, but solid defensively. 

Their the 4th worst team in the East right now. While it’s early for panic, 2.5 GPG won’t cut it. 

• Cheers 1