[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's not great for the Canucks though. I would've been completely happy if 24 hours to go, we have a quiet night before the start of the season. But now everything seems to be coming onto the service. This team needs a win badly to start the year. 

Sorry... I was being sarcastic. Just a shitty way to go into a new season.

All the focus and media questions that Tocc and ultimately Hughes are going to face will be about Garlands status and not the team.

Kinda like the Brock situation last season. It's just going to be cloud hanging over the team to start the season is all.     

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PureQuickness said:

But the thing is, our team was in a poor state of affairs during and after Gillis. We left the prospect pool so bare because of said GM's inability to draft AND develop. This reality was carried over to Benning who did a better job of drafting, but not necessarily for the development side. As a result of these realities, we are stuck trying to sign players and carrying the cap situation.

Benning was stuck because the cap got stuck. Allvin on the other hand had the luxury of seeing how much cap is coming up. And we're STILL stuck with the cap? The Benning blame has been done to death. This is all on Allvin at this point.

I agree that Gillis when he came to the organization mostly inherited Nonis' work of drafting and developing the core that Gillis had when he took over. Gillis was really bad at drafting and developing the next core that would take over from the Sedins once they transitioned out of the NHL. So I credit Benning for drafting the core that we have today, but his transactions mostly have crippled this team moving forward. We are still paying for his madness today. I think finally, next year after Myer's contract is done, we may finally be seeing light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to Benning's moves. 

Your right about Allvin though. From the moment he took reigns over the franchise, he's been responsible. Miller's signing was under Patrik, and that doesn't make much sense from an age perspective where players tend to decline in their 30's, not continue to raise their game. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

A dude argued just a couple posts after yours that Alvin as much to blame as Benning for our cap issues, you never know what people will actually be serious about.

Benning hasn't been our GM for at least one whole season anymore. Not sure why people are so obsessed with him. Allvin/JR has had time to fix their cap situation and we are dealing draft picks left, right, and centre, all the while clogging up our cap. PLUS they have no room to sign Pettersson.

That's not good planning.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

Sorry... I was being sarcastic. Just a shitty way to go into a new season.

All the focus and media questions that Tocc and ultimately Hughes are going to face will be about Garlands status and not the team.

Kinda like the Brock situation last season. It's just going to be cloud hanging over the team to start the season is all.     

Not even that, but what about Petey's contractual situation? 

Could you imagine if they came out of the gate 0 and _____. The media in this town would have a shitshow. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, PureQuickness said:

Benning hasn't been our GM for at least one whole season anymore. Not sure why people are so obsessed with him. Allvin/JR has had time to fix their cap situation and we are dealing draft picks left, right, and centre, all the while clogging up our cap. PLUS they have no room to sign Pettersson.

That's not good planning.

Well, to be fair, Benning is the reason the team is in their cap situation. Allvin and Rutherford inherited all of those bad contracts. They tried to move some of those players, but nobody wants our junk, without us giving up more quality picks. Would you have preferred that? 

The way I understand things is that right now is the window to win and compete. Organizationally, we have Petey, Hughes and Demko, and as long as we have those guys especially as they enter into their prime years, the organization probably feels that they need to surround that core with better players to compete and win. Will we ever win the Cup with this current version of the core? I don't know. Probably not, if the defence remains the same. But I'd argue that the defence today is better than it was under Benning's era. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I can’t remember who the goofball was who was arguing with me on CDC recently. 
He was convinced Garland was McDavid and was super valuable and desired around the league.  
I was on the side saying his twirly self cycling, bad angle shots and garbage contract makes him near valueless. 
Turns out I was right.  Lol

3 minutes ago, Wing said:

Sighs I just hope we don't give away significant draft capital to move Garlands contract. We might need to take back another team's underachieving contract to make this work somehow.

We'll see. But the more draft picks we send out, it becomes more and more apparent that management believes the window to win and compete is now. They have to sell something to Hughes, Petey, Demko who are not young anymore. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The cap situation is on Allvin as much as it was on Benning. Allvin had a lot of time to clean house and clear cap. What does Allvin do instead? Get himself back into a cap situation.

I'm honestly not impressed with the hypocrisy with Allvin vs now.

You do realize the flat cap made clearing bad contracts a very expensive proposition, if not impossible for some contacts. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Alvin made the biggest buyout in NHL history to undo a terrible trade by Benning. He spent a pick to shed Pearsons cap. He traded picks to get rid of Dickinson, then further traded Stillman for even further cap space. He saved space by shedding 1.5 million with Hammonic, traded players like Motte and Schenn at the deadline.

I really don't know what else Alvin could have done in a flat cap era where so few teams have any cap space to clean up the nearly decade of mismanaged cap by Benning. He's a GM, not a miracle worker.

Honestly, he shouldn't have re-signed Miller. It's a little bit ironic that Allvin uses the re-tool word, but doesn't get nearly as much as criticism as when Benning did. This is the hypocrisy I wanted to point out.

Benning left the team in a way that Allvin could've done a refresh on, but Benning's the one that gets all the criticism for the decisions that Allvin/JR has made.

I just want to call things as they are.

Benning also was in a flat cap era, in a period where there was supposedly cap that was going up. Allvin now knows that the cap will go up. You can't criticize a GM who planned for a higher cap, but this changed when COVID happened. In a way, it's nobody's fault, but also Benning's fault for not preparing himself room.

It's like Allvin. We're so tight to the cap that when Soucy's injury happened, we are in a somewhat precarious situation. It's not Allvin's fault that Soucy got injured. But we've seen this song and dance before when you give yourself so little room to manuever. I feel like we are re-living another era of Benning 2.0, but this time there are better free agent signings by Allvin and more questionable trades.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

No surprise here. You gotta think if anyone wanted to trade for him we would have seen one go down by now? Time to move on from the OEL trade and everything to do with it.

Agree. I was hoping he would find a solid spot on the team but not to be. What a colossal turd pile that OEL trade was. Fak