[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Shades of Brock Boeser's agent being given permission to seek a trade, and probably the same result 

Same but different.

Word is there was interest in Brock as a player but teams just couldn't make the money work at that time because of the flat cap. (Thank goodness.) Bonafide top 6 guy, plays PP1. I have no problem believing there was legit interest.

But I'm not sure we can say the same for Conor Garland... even at his lower price point.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

that it was, but in retrospect.

Unfortunately he sacrificed an all encompassing rebuild for a win now approach and depleted our prospect and asset pool as a consequence.

I don’t totally blame him though…will always factor in pressure from ownership to operate in a certain way. 

The one positive is we have the new era. Its not like when Gillis did it and we had no plans after the twins. We have time to recover and right now we have lots of time to finally develop players within our organization. 
Had it not been for COVID in 2020-21 I feel we could have been a playoff team over MTL who barely made it in. 2021-22 we were a good team, it took 44 games for Pettersson to get going and we missed by 3 wins…. 44 games… id like to think we coulda picked up 6 more points had he shown up to camp early like last season. Last season nothing could have saved us from Spencer Martin

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You’re so heated.

Relax. 

You’re here on your own accord.

A public message board that caters to every opinion. But instead of understanding that, you’re puffing up your chest and acting like your perspective is more important than others. It’s not. Your argument is futile. 

I don’t always agree with Heff but I respect his right to his views. I suggest you either do the same or simply move on. 

Your shit is tired and self-absorbed.

You feel your way and I’ll feel my way…and honestly I’m not the only one feeling this way about him! Just as you’re entitled to defend him (not sure why), I’m entitled to call out his long record of toxic negativity & hate towards the team and people associated with it. And, there we are! Done & done!! 

Edited by 88Canuck
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What’s the over/under on when Garland is shipped out? 

Will it be a single player transaction or will Conor be part of a larger trade?

Next summer. They've been talking about trading him for the last 8 months and nothing happened. No one has cap space.

7 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

You feel your way and I’ll feel my way…and honestly I’m not the only one feeling this way about him! Just as you’re entitled to defend him (not sure why), I’m entitled to call out his long record of toxic negativity & hate towards the team and people associated with it. And, there we are! Done & done!! 

call it out all you want. 
just don’t tell anyone they don’t belong because you don’t agree with them.

control the way you phrase your argument and it’ll be better received. 
cheers.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Podkolzin wasn’t gifted an opening night roster spot because he showed up to camp and out of shape and didn’t capitalize on his opportunity playing with top 6 players. 

You have a link or tweet to something about this? Everything I've seen/heard is that Podz is in fantastic shape but in his head. More of a mental/confidence/overthinking issue than a fitness one.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

In fairness with Demko ready to take the reins mnot signing Marky to 6x6 was a good move. Tanev and Toffoli were whiffs though. 

He said Markstrom was trash, when he has been one of the best goalies in the league since he left, except for an off season… just like Demko has had.

Either signing Markstrom and getting a trade return for Demko or signing Demko and trading Markstrom’s rights to save money on goaltending to keep other roster players or have enough cap to have signed Petterson and Hughes to max term deals…. Both fine defensible moves depending on if there were any good offers for Demko.

Letting Markstrom walk, signing Demko to a big extension… then flinching on whether he was actually ready and blowing millions to sign a 1B goalie… that was a bad move.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What’s the over/under on when Garland is shipped out? 

Will it be a single player transaction or will Conor be part of a larger trade?

It'll Def be a group collective... little Johnny , Caufield , Garland and the rest of the filthy hobbits are all set to march straight into Moridor this season in search of that elusive ring. 😂🤣lord of the rings hobbit GIF

• Haha 2

Damn everyone! Let’s get some hockey goin! Blood is boiling in here. Save it for the ice ladies n gents lol.

As for Garland, he’s a great high energy guy. But is undersized. Which is pretty redundant in our forward group. I’m sure there is a trade to be made here….hopefully with Columbus…

If Garland was signed by a manager who didn’t throw away cash no one would be complaining about him. He may not be worth what he makes, but he’s not that far off his value. 45-50 point forward, still young, plays the right way. Probably a dream to coach. If he was making 1 mil less he would be perfect. To say he can’t be traded tho is pretty crazy, if we retain even 1 mil on his contract for the next few seasons we could probably pry a decent RD out of Columbus for him.

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That didn’t help of course but it still falls on Benning fair or not. 

Well yes and no. I made a pretty big post about this the other day... If you wanted to read it i can repost it. It's quite in depth.

But the short of it is, it's the hockey business- Ownership decided to keep the money rolling in, asses in the seats and eyeballs on TV and ice a "competitive team." Most everything that followed is basically fruit of the poisonous tree when you really look at it that way. Ie. Picks out the door, signing FA players, trades which don't fit a "rebuild" timeline... damn near all of it stems from that.

9 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Next summer. They've been talking about trading him for the last 8 months and nothing happened. No one has cap space.

Probably this, the only move out there for Garland likely involves taking a contract with a similar cap hit and similar term back 

I could legit see a move for Gudbranson though

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

He said Markstrom was trash, when he has been one of the best goalies in the league since he left, except for an off season… just like Demko has had.

Either signing Markstrom and getting a trade return for Demko or signing Demko and trading Markstrom’s rights to save money on goaltending to keep other roster players or have enough cap to have signed Petterson and Hughes to max term deals…. Both fine defensible moves depending on if there were any good offers for Demko.

Letting Markstrom walk, signing Demko to a big extension… then flinching on whether he was actually ready and blowing millions to sign a 1B goalie… that was a bad move.

Markstrom ain't trash but moving on from him was the right move the downside being we were in the playoffs and unable to move him for a decent return.

I do agree the backup money could have been better spent too. 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't hold your breath.

They tried this with Brock and nothing happened.

Brock’s contract is a bit steeper than Garlands tho. For guys that have almost identical point production over the last two years.

Will say this tho, been liking Brock taking face offs…he played some center in college too. Interesting to see where that goes this year for him, Brock definitely has a higher ceiling than Garland that’s for sure. I got a good feeling about him this year.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Probably this, the only move out there for Garland likely involves taking a contract with a similar cap hit and similar term back 

I could legit see a move for Gudbranson though

I sure hope not, Guddy hated the fish bowl market here…some players just don’t do well here because of it…Ericsson, Dickenson, Guddy…on and on. I don’t want any players here who are afraid of a Canadian market. Sure hope we can get more than Guddy in a trade

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I sure hope not, Guddy hated the fish bowl market here…some players just don’t do well here because of it…Ericsson, Dickenson, Guddy…on and on. I don’t want any players here who are afraid of a Canadian market. Sure hope we can get more than Guddy in a trade

I'd be surprised, if teams valued him enough to take on his cap hit and give up value he'd likely be gone by now

49 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Sure backs up the fact that it was a stealth rebuild. Also shows that we never had the trade chips like Duchene or ROR to fast track a rebuild. We never had as many top 5 picks either. From ‘09-‘19 Colorado had 7 picks in the top 10, 5 of which being inside the top 5. Which gave them valuable trade chips, to move out while still keeping top end talent.

From the day the drafted Landeskog and then Mackinnon, it took 11 years to win a cup. Not only that they missed playoffs 5 of 6 years. Yet “fans” here cry and complain we made playoffs twice in 5 seasons and then had terrible luck with COVID, a terrible first half of the season from Pettersson in 2021-22 and then last years goaltending nightmare. The trade chips they moved out helped them gain more high end picks. We never had the same advantage of having guys like Duchene or ROR. 

We missed playoffs by 3 wins in 2021-22, last year was 7 wins away with our leagues worst goaltending duo.

Bennings tenure was rebuilding.

Did you enter “stealth rebuild” into the lexicon yourself? Never heard that phrase before this thread.