[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

call it out all you want. 
just don’t tell anyone they don’t belong because you don’t agree with them.

control the way you phrase your argument and it’ll be better received. 
cheers.

That’s fair and I can 100% respect that, but I wish that would be across the board because the same could be said for him. Things he’s said about the team, players, management and the coach have crossed lines in a very significant way! It was never my intent to cause an issue / argument, but enough is enough with that sometimes. It’s always the same things, nothing else. At least he could bring something else / the opposite to the table here and there at minimum. Anyway, enough of that topic. 

• Cheers 1

Perhaps there’s a home for Garly after all…at what cost though…

Philadelphia Flyers Willing To Take On Salary

October 10th, 2023 at 9:12pm CST • By Josh Cybulski

Anthony Di Marco of The Fourth Period is reporting that the Philadelphia Flyers are prepared to weaponize their cap space to acquire additional assets. The Flyers begin today with less than $1MM in salary cap space, a number that would translate to roughly $3.9MM at the NHL trade deadline. Now that number might not seem significant, but the Flyers can easily free up over $6MM by placing defenseman Ryan Ellis on LTIR, something they’ve been hesitant to do thus far, but are willing to do to make a trade work.

After years of being slammed up against the salary cap, the Flyers have finally created roster and salary cap flexibility after a summer in which they moved on from veterans Kevin Hayes, Tony DeAngelo, and Ivan Provorov. General Manager Daniel Briere seems fully committed to rebuilding the Flyers and appears willing to take on undesirable contracts in exchange for future assets.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported just two weeks ago that the Flyers were open to taking on Ottawa Senators forward Mathieu Josephand his $2.95MM cap hit in exchange for a high prospect or a first-round pick, something Ottawa appears uninterested in entertaining. However that could change if they start the season slow without their second and third-line centres.

While a Joseph deal hasn’t materialized the Flyers will likely have their pick of suitors as the flat cap has created a financial landscape in which 19 NHL teams are within $1MM of the salary cap ceiling (including Philadelphia). There are a lot of teams that see themselves as Stanley Cup contenders who will be hard-pressed to make in-season improvements unless they can move out some salary, this is where the Flyers cap space could be leveraged to acquire assets.

The Flyers are early in their rebuild and are at least three or four years away from turning the corner. With that in mind, any contract they take on will probably fall into the one to three-year range similar to the contract they acquired with Cal Petersen.

Philadelphia has several of their own undesirable contracts as well as over $5MM in dead cap space for the next few seasons in the DeAngelo buyout and the retained salary on Hayes.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/philadelphia-flyers-willing-to-take-on-salary.html#ref=home

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Buddy you really are clueless when it comes to the devastation Gillass left behind. 
Benning is the reason we have a new era of hockey and it took him 5 years to build that new era.

Like how do you not comprehend a stealth rebuild at all??? First 5 years was a clear indication of a stealth rebuild, but I guess its hard for you to see with your eyes closed. Kept his picks, moved out vets, built through the draft, stole JT Miller outta tampa. COVID fucked us and piss poor starts by our star players the past 2 seasons is the reason for lack of playoff appearances.

Look at how long rebuilds take and how many teams make playoffs not once but twice while rebuilding from ground zero. We replaced a core, which is the now the new era, he went through A FLAT CAP while also dealing with pending contract negotiations. If he was as bad as you clowns make him out to be, he would have resigned Marky after his one and only good season and would have tried to resign Toffoli and Tanev and further handcuffed our cap situation in flat cap world. How well has Marky and Tanev panned out for calgary? Marky is a sieve, Tanev is always injured when it really counts and Toffoli is now onto his 3rd team since leaving 

Benning's new era of hockey was to consistently spend to the cap and trade away picks and prospects...as a bottom feeder. Definitely a fresh approach, but it's apparent why good teams don't do that. Having a depleted prospect pool after being one of the best teams in the league and making it to the SCF is pretty normal. Having a non-existent prospect pool after being one of the worst teams in the league during your tenure is not normal, and really pretty difficult to accomplish.

Unfortunately, JB's "new era" will continue to hinder the Canucks for some time. The list of really bad moves moves is long and really not disputed. The handful of good draft picks is also not disputed. But on balance JB was definitely the worst GM of his era, and it will be a while before someone claims the title from him. The facts that prove this have been documented at length, but happy to go over the long list again. 

The results of his tenure and the team's record are enough evidence though.

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably this, the only move out there for Garland likely involves taking a contract with a similar cap hit and similar term back 

I could legit see a move for Gudbranson though

Traumatized disgust GIF

If the OEL debacle concludes with us sitting on 4 millions of dead cap and Guddy at 4 million I may lose my mind. Could you possible imagine trading Dylan Guenther for Guddy at 8 million in cap hit?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You have a link or tweet to something about this? Everything I've seen/heard is that Podz is in fantastic shape but in his head. More of a mental/confidence/overthinking issue than a fitness one.

Yeah, nothing about poor fitness at all. It's definitely him getting in his own way. Some people don't hear the full story and just assume.

As far as Garland, this is likely not much of anything. Maybe he'd like a change, maybe because of the spotlight on hockey there is in Vancouver, but maybe not. The options are pretty limited but it might be the spark that starts the fire.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

Benning's new era of hockey was to consistently spend to the cap and trade away picks and prospects...as a bottom feeder. Definitely a fresh approach, but it's apparent why good teams don't do that. Having a depleted prospect pool after being one of the best teams in the league and making it to the SCF is pretty normal. Having a non-existent prospect pool after being one of the worst teams in the league during your tenure is not normal, and really pretty difficult to accomplish.

Unfortunately, JB's "new era" will continue to hinder the Canucks for some time. The list of really bad moves moves is long and really not disputed. The handful of good draft picks is also not disputed. But on balance JB was definitely the worst GM of his era, and it will be a while before someone claims the title from him. The facts that prove this have been documented at length, but happy to go over the long list again. 

The results of his tenure and the team's record are enough evidence though.

Dubas was easily the worst GM of his era, although to be fair he should have never been hired for a job in hockey ops due to not being qualified for the position.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Sadly, I think management is stupid enough to do it.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For three seasons? Dunno.. 

If it gets you a decent RD with decent cap hit. No matter what the books need to work out any way you slice it. If they are willing to buy out OEL I’m sure they would entertain cap retention if it get them where they want to go. Business is business a deal can be made with retention. Or we can just drag this on and have another distraction this year…

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

Did you enter “stealth rebuild” into the lexicon yourself? Never heard that phrase before this thread. 

Its not a full blown rebuild where you sell everything off to hit rock bottom and build through high drafting.

We held our picks for 5 consecutive drafts, we added an additional 1st and we acquired young players with potential. While at the same time slowly moving out veterans who still had some value in a trade. We transitioned from the 2011 team era to the Demko Pettersson  Hughes era. While doing so Benning focused on bringing in as much experience as possible to surround the youth and help with development at the NHL level. I will give Gillis credit for bringing in Sundin for his sheer volume of experience that he brought to the locker room. Its not the conventional way of rebuilding, but if you look at what we had to offer teams to try and fast track a rebuild, it was little to none. We had to sit back and slowly draft and slowly move guys out

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

If it gets you a decent RD with decent cap hit. No matter what the books need to work out any way you slice it. If they are willing to buy out OEL I’m sure they would entertain cap retention if it get them where they want to go. Business is business a deal can be made with retention. Or we can just drag this on and have another distraction this year…

That's what terrifies me.  This group have already proven that they're willing to sabotage the team with long-term dead cap.  Far better off just keeping him instead of causing further damage.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Dubas was easily the worst GM of his era, although to be fair he should have never been hired for a job in hockey ops due to not being qualified for the position.

Some questionable moves for sure, but a record we can only dream of currently, including the first round exits.

He sold the future to win now, but the team is winning now. JB sold the future as a team that couldn't make the playoffs.

Edited by Got the Babych
To clarify

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's what terrifies me.  This group have already proven that they're willing to sabotage the team with long-term dead cap.  Far better off just keeping him instead of causing further damage.

Bill Guerin says no. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Fair enough, but but…the cap is supposed to go up! (I know it probably won’t lol)

I think I’m willing to endure one more of these shit trades. Because at least after that the slate is pretty much wiped of all the Benning over payment deals…aside from Brock. I feel like this management group won’t stop until they think it’s “their” team that they “retooled”anyways. Get it over with imo…just feel less distractions the better for this team.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

Right, this is a Garland thread! I like Conor, I don't think he is "the problem" with the team. But fine if a move helps the team, and good luck to him. The team has been actively shopping him, so don't have as much anger about his exploring options as I would with a player that just "wanted out".

• Cheers 1