[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

Just now, King Heffy said:

And he should have been fired on the spot the minute he suggested the buyouts.  There's simply no excuse for dead cap for more than one season.

you’re speaking from an idealistic position though. Almost every team carries a liability or pays to remove them. It’s the nature of change and financial impacts. Very little is static in pro sports, Heff.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Those horny buggers can barely keep it in their pants. We need to slap chastity belts on them…or at least neuter them…should get their sex drive down a bit…

Oh, there's a few in Vancouver media I think could use some forced sterilization for sure

(jk..... maybe)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Traumatized disgust GIF

If the OEL debacle concludes with us sitting on 4 millions of dead cap and Guddy at 4 million I may lose my mind. Could you possible imagine trading Dylan Guenther for Guddy at 8 million in cap hit?

As much as I laughed at that it's actually a terrifying possibility. 

16 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Its not a full blown rebuild where you sell everything off to hit rock bottom and build through high drafting.

We held our picks for 5 consecutive drafts, we added an additional 1st and we acquired young players with potential. While at the same time slowly moving out veterans who still had some value in a trade. We transitioned from the 2011 team era to the Demko Pettersson  Hughes era. While doing so Benning focused on bringing in as much experience as possible to surround the youth and help with development at the NHL level. I will give Gillis credit for bringing in Sundin for his sheer volume of experience that he brought to the locker room. Its not the conventional way of rebuilding, but if you look at what we had to offer teams to try and fast track a rebuild, it was little to none. We had to sit back and slowly draft and slowly move guys out

The other piece is the underlying business decision to "stay competitive." Ie. Keep asses in the seats, eyeballs on the TV, etc. etc. and not lose 6-1 every night driving away consumers, advertisers, etc. Most the picks that got moved out, FA signings and trades also had that mind.

But I think you're right on the money.

No assets teams want and cupboards are empty while the mandate is to keep cash flow... what do you do?

What you see is what you get.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RWJC said:

you’re speaking from an idealistic position though. Almost every team carries a liability or pays to remove them. It’s the nature of change and financial impacts. Very little is static in pro sports, Heff.

Very true. Heff isn’t wrong about not wanting retention or giving up more value than needed to make a trade, it sucks that it needs to be done.

However, this management group seems hell bent on doing the ugly work to make the changes they think this team needs. At least they are willing to do it and aren’t shying away from it… Compare that to Benning where this fan base and media owned him constantly, he was pressured to make moves to try and save himself…I honestly don’t think this management group will flinch when it comes to building the team they want… It takes some brass balls to make big changes in this market, because you’re gonna get ripped anyways no matter what. Just get it done and get back to business. I like that approach. We all know things need to change anyways. 

• Cheers 1

Why do I get the feeling that EP 40 isn’t going to sign a long term deal unless we show some kind of improvement. Management knows this and they’re going to do whatever it takes. If that means surrendering a good pick or prospect to move him they’ll do it. They’ve done it before. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Most successful teams don't have dead cap though.  Taking back an overpaid blueliner is the obvious solution.  Very few management groups have as much dead cap as Rutherford has inflicted on this franchise.  Adding more isn't a solution unless ownership decides that's the last straw and fires that idiot.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Its not a full blown rebuild where you sell everything off to hit rock bottom and build through high drafting.

We held our picks for 5 consecutive drafts, we added an additional 1st and we acquired young players with potential. While at the same time slowly moving out veterans who still had some value in a trade. We transitioned from the 2011 team era to the Demko Pettersson  Hughes era. While doing so Benning focused on bringing in as much experience as possible to surround the youth and help with development at the NHL level. I will give Gillis credit for bringing in Sundin for his sheer volume of experience that he brought to the locker room. Its not the conventional way of rebuilding, but if you look at what we had to offer teams to try and fast track a rebuild, it was little to none. We had to sit back and slowly draft and slowly move guys out

JB's stealth move with valuable pending UFA's was to wait them out until they walked to competing teams for nothing. Another fresh approach, owning the league.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I read all that before and it doesn’t answer my question. 

I hope he can find a place to play… But in all honesty he’s just too small he gets muscled off the puck all the time - we need bigger stronger dudes who can crash the boards and muscle dudes off the puck… CG can’t do that - he’s a liability to be honest with you he’s got skill but he’s too small

hope he finds a place…

Leaving Clint Eastwood GIF by GritTV

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

JB's stealth move with valuable pending UFA's was to wait them out until they walked to competing teams for nothing. Another fresh approach, owning the league.

Yea I heard he planned for a flat cap so he unleashed COVID and took away a 4-8mil cap increase that was announced just weeks prior to acquiring Toffoli.

6 hours ago, xMagnus said:

Why does this have to be released on the eve of our season.

Just another distraction.

Exactly.  This is one thing that I do not like about our current management.  

They have a tendency to make these 'weird announcements' and/or let this kind of crap go public which potentially leads to distractions within the lockerroom.  

We all saw what happened last season.  

I also don't understand this Garland hate.  The guy is a good hockey player that just needs to play in a structured system.  He was good in Arizona (under Tocchet), and was good under Travis Green.   

If Philly is looking to take on salary, Boeser or Myers is the guy you move.  

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

well said, unfortunately:

Never again can we let a reckless manager do this kind of damage to the franchise. We’re gonna feel that bonehead move for years and years to come.

Benning should have been fired before he even had a chance to make that move and everyone knew it except our greedy owners who wanted to save money. Jokes on them it ended up costing them way more in the long run. Hopefully they learned a lesson.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea I heard he planned for a flat cap so he unleashed COVID and took away a 4-8mil cap increase that was announced just weeks prior to acquiring Toffoli.

The flat cap and COVID also happened to the good GMs.

Tyfoli is only one example. Sadly, the approach to always buy high during free agency and sell low (or never) didn't prove to be effective.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Never again can we let a reckless manager do this kind of damage to the franchise. We’re gonna feel that bonehead move for years and years to come.

Benning should have been fired before he even had a chance to make that move and everyone knew it except our greedy owners who wanted to save money. Jokes on them it ended up costing them way more in the long run. Hopefully they learned a lesson.

And yet ownership allowed Rutherford to cause even more damage to the franchise with the buyout.  I agree it's unacceptable, which is why that dirtbag needs to be ran out of town by any means necessary.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s gone by next Friday. 

Nope he’ll be here all season.

He can boost his value this season and find a new team once the cap rises.

We don’t have anyone to replace his 15-20 goals right now so he ain’t going anywhere.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

The flat cap and COVID also happened to the good GMs.

Tyfoli is only one example. Sadly, the approach to always buy high during free agency and sell low (or never) didn't prove to be effective.

We had several pending UFAs along with the upcoming negotiations of what REALLY mattered, the RFAs. Plus no certainty of any cap increase for the foreseeable future. Cut bait with the UFAs, avoid long term, get short term UFAs in preparation for any cap increase and make certain to get the RFAs inked.